R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-22-2013, 02:15 AM   #256
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Lord View Post
He might have packed the axles full of spacers so the tyres filled out the guards perfectly for the photoshoot
Anything for a good shot

It does look pretty killer, though. It's too bad that we have to sacrifice such nice ride height and fender-hugging offsets for actual drive-ability.

"If you ain't first, you're last!"
- Ricky Bobby
metalnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:00 AM   #257
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (96%+)
Send a message via AIM to SerpentCT4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavant View Post
Finished the LED lights and the cockpit set on the XV. Had to settle for the touring car set - as the actual rally cockpit sets are getting harder to find.
Part# for the set is: TAM54147, comes with 2 helmets, decals, and mounting hardware.

Looks good!

I'm working on an interior for mine right now. I'd also like a rally interior but I haven't found one yet.
SerpentCT4S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:24 AM   #258
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerpentCT4S View Post
Looks good!

I'm working on an interior for mine right now. I'd also like a rally interior but I haven't found one yet.
There's one on eBay now from teambliuegroove. It's lexan though (or clear plastic) so not sure how regular paints would stick.

I think I got my Tamiya set from one of the online stores - RC Mart, Banzai or someone like that.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:29 AM   #259
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey Guys. I need a little help here. I am looking for the rear cv axel Part#9804648. If anyone know where I can find one that would be way cool.

Thanks
Paco1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:48 PM   #260
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eivind E View Post
Your wheelnuts are not threading into the nylon, and will most likely fall off if you try to run it like that.
Busted! These were glamour shots. I added a lot of wheel spacers to add offset as well as slam the body. I wouldn't run it this way.
rtypec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:09 PM   #261
Tech Apprentice

How are ppl finding the car handling wise ? with mine every time i turn the rear flings out making the car spin and very unpredictable to drive, i lowered the D/R on the remote that helps abit but then not enough steering for low speed corners
alex_evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:18 PM   #262
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_evo View Post
How are ppl finding the car handling wise ? with mine every time i turn the rear flings out making the car spin and very unpredictable to drive, i lowered the D/R on the remote that helps abit but then not enough steering for low speed corners
What setup/situation are you driving it in? I use mine for rally-style fun and bashing, so I love the way it handles. I can make it kick out the rear on command, that's the car's best feature. With a front motor mounting position, the car will be loose in the back for sure. You can get more balance with a proper setup, but I don't think it'll ever run like a proper touring chassis.

But I could be wrong.

"If you ain't first, you're last!"
- Ricky Bobby
metalnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:38 PM   #263
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
DR lowers the overall steering, if you have EXPO on your steering turn that down it will soften early steering and still maintain full travel.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:28 AM   #264
Tech Adept

Quote:
What is your driving style? Remember that a front motor car handles differently and for that matter is driven differently than a mid engine car. You always need torque while cornering, specially mid corner and corner exit. Without any torque it will spin. You just need to find the right amount of it.

I love how mine handles. As metal nut said, you can almost do handbrake turns whenever you like. I only find it more difficult to drive than regular touring car on very slippery surfaces like a very smooth concrete. Sometimes I do some training at my apartment´s garage, which is a very very smooth concrete surface, covered by a fine powdery layer of dust that has been accumulating over the years. Its very difficult to drive it there, for it spins easily, even when accelerating straight.
stormridersp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:04 PM   #265
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

As stormrider put it, this is a car that you drive with on power the whole time. You alternate between low middle and high. If you go to neutral in the middle of a turn, the rear end will come around.

The only time you can go neutral is in straight line before you enter a turn, then mid turn you apply power and let the front wheels pull it through
Old 05-18-2013, 04:42 PM   #266
Tech Apprentice

I use the car as an all rounder, on the streets (dusty, stones,pebbles and general crap lol) ,occasion gravel, Back up/rain car in my club champs

My setup atm is all stock parts, (xv01 pro)
13,5t motor boosted (its quick quick maybe too quick for the streets)
savox servo
1100 diff oil fr/r
0 toe up front
1 degree camber all round
Michelin pilot sport tyres (pretty crap tbh)

Had it on track and it was tricky but do-able, turning right was spot on but turning left would spin the car, i had set steering throw to be equal both sides and it still occurs. I even took it apart to see if anything is binding/bent, checked the diff and not leaking and working as it should and all is fine
I did manage to equal my old ta06 with same motor/tires etc, Which im very impressed with the car.

I had to brake early on the straights and not into the corners (like a real car)

on the streets its tougher as its kinda narrow with high kerbs (where i play). Just turn and it would spin the car.

I can see the potential and fun in this car, is my motor too quick for it ??? sp 13.5 with HW 60a with supercharged software ( able to keep up with my mates 8.5t using mod software)

Maybe i just need to get used to it as i been running mid motor touring cars and never played with a front motor before
Old 05-18-2013, 04:52 PM   #267
Tech Elite

Quote:
turning right was spot on but turning left would spin the car,
When this happens it means there is an imbalance between left and right. Place car on flat surface facing you. Grab shock tower from center and keep your guys on tyres. Slowly lift car and see if tyres lift off surface at the same time. If one tyre lifts early, it means your shocks are not even, or suspension is binding

Next check camber and make sure they are all even.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:46 AM   #268
Tech Apprentice

cool i will give it a check, Thanks for all your help
Old 05-20-2013, 07:12 AM   #269
Tech Adept

Quote:
cool i will give it a check, Thanks for all your help
One more suggestion: Put a harder oil in the front diff. The XV-01TC Pro for example, has a spool up front. I currently use #60k.

And dont expect to get much on-road performance with the soft long stock silver springs. Get the Tamiya 53440 Tuned On-Road Springs for that purpose and mix the dampers oil to match to the spring rates. I currently use white front and blue rear.

I dont think a 13.5T is too strong for this chassis, for I currently use 17.5T Novak tho I used for some time a 3000kv BL system. One suggestion is to either lower your ESCs acceleration setting or adjust your TX´s throttle expo so you have an easy and soft ride in low rpms. This will guarantee that you dont have any spikes while maintaining the right amount of power when cornering.

Hope this helps
stormridersp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:34 PM   #270
Tech Elite

Front and Rear sway bars are coming.. part number is 54514

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/rcp...=desc&offset=1