R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-30-2013, 05:00 PM   #196
Tech Elite
 
SerpentCT4S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,847
Trader Rating: 94 (96%+)
Send a message via AIM to SerpentCT4S
Default

Thanks for the info metalnut!

I do plan on using the MMP ESC. I've read other places as well that it is a tight fit. I will arrange my electronics like you suggested though. Hopefully I can fit my 2s lipos in there.

The stock mud guards didn't work well? What did you make yours out of?

My stuff should be here Tuesday, can't wait to get started on the build.

What weight oil do you recommend for the shocks?
SerpentCT4S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:27 PM   #197
Tech Addict
 
macavant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: RC dojo
Posts: 672
Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)
Default Joining the XV-01 crowd

Just finished the build of my XV-01 pro. Another great kit from Tamiya (IMO). Replaced all exposed hardware with stainless steel, Ti for M3x18 and over screws, and Tamiya Al blues for other pieces. Current setup has VG 450 front and 400 for dampers with stock silver springs. 2000 cst for front diffs, 1000 cst for rear diffs. I opted to go with a Viper Copperhead ESC with a VX4.39 motor. Steering servo is a Savox SC-1258TG. Rx is tucked next to the battery wire opening, Spektrum SR3500.

Quick build tip - put some CA glue on the battery door locknuts to keep them in place.















The car is a tad louder than I expected - my guess it's due to the 32P spur/pinion. Other than the sound,
drivetrain is smooth and the belt drive does not have slop. It's blast to drive.
__________________
likes the oldskool RC action...
F103.F201.F103GT☆F104WGP.F1Ultra☆M01.M05.YR4MSe.TA05.XV-01Pro.ABC_Genetic(Exotek)☆WR02.CC-01☆TRF201☆TRF417X.TRF101.TRF101W

Last edited by macavant; 03-30-2013 at 09:34 PM.
macavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:57 AM   #198
Tech Addict
 
fvrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Folsom, CA
Posts: 698
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

I just got my pro kit in but haven't had a chance to get going on it. But I've seen quite a few people using savox servos. Don't they draw a lot more amperage? Or does it not matter. I've got a tekin rs and 17.5 for it. Was going to look for a hitec but may try a savox if no one has had any issues with them.
fvrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:52 AM   #199
Tech Elite
 
metalnut's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,726
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerpentCT4S View Post
Thanks for the info metalnut!

I do plan on using the MMP ESC. I've read other places as well that it is a tight fit. I will arrange my electronics like you suggested though. Hopefully I can fit my 2s lipos in there.

The stock mud guards didn't work well? What did you make yours out of?

My stuff should be here Tuesday, can't wait to get started on the build.

What weight oil do you recommend for the shocks?
The kit oil is 900cSt, which is basically AE 70wt. That seems to work fine, but when I rebuilt the chocks I put 80wt oil in them and that works well too. At first I tried 40wt, but that was WAY too springy/bouncy for me.

The stock mud guards are nice, but they're not wide or long enough so rocks and crap slips right by. I cut up an old dirt bike (motorcycle) inner tube and used Shoe Goo to glue it to the stock guards. I already had my body precut, so I positioned them as close to the body surface (on the sides) as possible. I still get crap on the chassis, but not nearly as much.
__________________
Team Nervous | Team Scruffy | Team Orange

"If you ain't first, you're last!"
- Ricky Bobby
metalnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:54 AM   #200
Tech Elite
 
metalnut's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,726
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvrr View Post
I just got my pro kit in but haven't had a chance to get going on it. But I've seen quite a few people using savox servos. Don't they draw a lot more amperage? Or does it not matter. I've got a tekin rs and 17.5 for it. Was going to look for a hitec but may try a savox if no one has had any issues with them.
If you're mating a Savox to a Tekin RS you should be golden, their BEC is strong. Unfortunately, the MMP BEC is known for being pretty weak, which is where Savox problems can come up. My 1251mg is hooked up to the MMP (no external BEC) at 6v and it's fine 95% of the time. Once in a while if I try to get going while having the wheels turned, it does brown out just a tad. For now I haven't done anything about that, but I do have a Castle BEC in case it bugs me too much. This is with a Futaba RX, by the way. I think the problem is even worse with Spektrum stuff.
__________________
Team Nervous | Team Scruffy | Team Orange

"If you ain't first, you're last!"
- Ricky Bobby
metalnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:05 AM   #201
Tech Elite
 
SerpentCT4S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,847
Trader Rating: 94 (96%+)
Send a message via AIM to SerpentCT4S
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalnut View Post
The kit oil is 900cSt, which is basically AE 70wt. That seems to work fine, but when I rebuilt the chocks I put 80wt oil in them and that works well too. At first I tried 40wt, but that was WAY too springy/bouncy for me.

The stock mud guards are nice, but they're not wide or long enough so rocks and crap slips right by. I cut up an old dirt bike (motorcycle) inner tube and used Shoe Goo to glue it to the stock guards. I already had my body precut, so I positioned them as close to the body surface (on the sides) as possible. I still get crap on the chassis, but not nearly as much.
Thanks for the info!

So I guess I will fill my shocks with 70wt oil. I just installed TRF shocks onto my DF03ra chassis. I filled them with 50wt oil. They seem a bit soft so I will change that oil also.

Do the shocks on the XV01 have the long shock ends? People have told me to install them on my TRF shocks that I have on my DF03ra to gain more ride height. Is that a good idea?
SerpentCT4S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:32 AM   #202
Tech Addict
 
macavant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: RC dojo
Posts: 672
Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvrr View Post
Was going to look for a hitec but may try a savox if no one has had any issues with them.
If you do go with a high current draw servo and get brown outs, a glitch capacitor will help. With a previous setup (Castle MMP) I had to install the capacitor to keep the servo from cutting out due to current draw. The 1258Tg in my XV-01 has no issues (so far), has good torque, fast response and fits in the servo tray.

I run Savox /Spektrum on my other kits as well - and with the Viper ESCs, I don't get the brown outs. With your Tekin, you should be OK.
__________________
likes the oldskool RC action...
F103.F201.F103GT☆F104WGP.F1Ultra☆M01.M05.YR4MSe.TA05.XV-01Pro.ABC_Genetic(Exotek)☆WR02.CC-01☆TRF201☆TRF417X.TRF101.TRF101W
macavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:17 PM   #203
Tech Elite
 
metalnut's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,726
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerpentCT4S View Post
Thanks for the info!

So I guess I will fill my shocks with 70wt oil. I just installed TRF shocks onto my DF03ra chassis. I filled them with 50wt oil. They seem a bit soft so I will change that oil also.

Do the shocks on the XV01 have the long shock ends? People have told me to install them on my TRF shocks that I have on my DF03ra to gain more ride height. Is that a good idea?
I see no reason why you couldn't put the longer shock ends on your TRF shocks. It's just a bigger piece of plastic, it should have no adverse effects at all.
__________________
Team Nervous | Team Scruffy | Team Orange

"If you ain't first, you're last!"
- Ricky Bobby
metalnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:43 PM   #204
Tech Master
 
Sith Lord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Canberra, ACT, Australia
Posts: 1,398
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerpentCT4S View Post
Do the shocks on the XV01 have the long shock ends? People have told me to install them on my TRF shocks that I have on my DF03ra to gain more ride height. Is that a good idea?
Standard Tamiya kits come with both shock ends. Your TRF ones should have aswell, unless you bought them second hand. I think aftermarket shocks like the Losi Mini LST are popular choices aswell. Anything to get you a bit more ground clearance. Measure up your D03 though. I can't remember doing shock mods on my DF a few years back. It might come with enough ground clearance as stock.
__________________
Tamiya XV-01 Rally :: Tamiya FAV 2011 :: Proline Pro2 SCB
Sith Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:44 PM   #205
Tech Addict
 
fvrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Folsom, CA
Posts: 698
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Thanks guys. I use hitec in all my scale stuff but now getting into rally and 2wd buggy and just seeing savox all over. I use a MT4 but also still have my 3r with a ton of rx's
fvrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:06 PM   #206
Tech Master
 
Sith Lord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Canberra, ACT, Australia
Posts: 1,398
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Of all the positives I hear about Savox's, I hear as many negatives. I'll stick with the tried and proven Futaba.
__________________
Tamiya XV-01 Rally :: Tamiya FAV 2011 :: Proline Pro2 SCB
Sith Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:13 PM   #207
Tech Elite
 
SerpentCT4S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,847
Trader Rating: 94 (96%+)
Send a message via AIM to SerpentCT4S
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Lord View Post
Of all the positives I hear about Savox's, I hear as many negatives. I'll stick with the tried and proven Futaba.
I run a few Savox servos and have never had any problems with them.
SerpentCT4S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:39 PM   #208
Tech Addict
 
fvrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Folsom, CA
Posts: 698
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Thanks guys. I'm going to need 6 servos pretty soon Well 3 for the mini coopers. But I'm not sure if I'll gamble on the savox to just save a few dollars. On another note. I just ordered some hop up parts and noticed the titanium screw set for about $70-80, didn't think of looking to see what shipping would cost. Is the screw set worth it? I just want to build it right the first time.
fvrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:46 PM   #209
Tech Fanatic
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora La Reina de Los Ángeles del Río de Porciúncula
Posts: 912
Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default

Never had a problem with any Savox across airplanes, helis and rc cars. At least a dozen servos.
__________________
...............
lagcisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:11 AM   #210
Tech Elite
 
metalnut's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,726
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default

A quick shot from today. The XV is currently set up for onroad, running on TC springs and HPI X-pattern tires. I think in this form it could make a killer VTA car, but I'm just practicing my apexes

__________________
Team Nervous | Team Scruffy | Team Orange

"If you ain't first, you're last!"
- Ricky Bobby
metalnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
::: Tamiya XV-01 PRO Rally 1/10 Review!!! ::: iluvm4 Electric Off-Road 14 01-16-2014 07:00 PM
Electronics for Tamiya xv 01 highbeam Radio and Electronics 10 12-23-2012 08:56 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:25 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0