Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
What's the highest 'C' you've ever charged a li-po at? >

What's the highest 'C' you've ever charged a li-po at?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's the highest 'C' you've ever charged a li-po at?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 09:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pulse_
Because of me three forests burnt recently, a child exploded and the third person lost his hand. Now I run my cars with water, just to make sure everybody is safe.
Water, safe? Have you seen the MSDS for that stuff?
Old 01-04-2013, 09:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by duckman996
Very cool... I learned something here. Any experience with these 24V chargers? I'm in the market for a new one. Recommendations anyone?
I think jsinclair just beat me to it, but I think most chargers into the 20amp range can take 24+ volts, the iCharger series are all quite nice, I regret buying a 106 simply because for not a lot more you can get one of the 20amp series.

Several other brands are also very good, but for the most part the better brands do a whole heap more, faster and more accurately than the forever re-branding clones.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:53 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by tc3jp
Are you guys using 24 volt power supplies?
I do. It's a Meanwell 350w, 24v. It's the only power supply I ever had since I began to race electric 3 years ago. The hyperion 720inet3 charger can handle it. Icharger is also a very good brand with great pricings. They have a good integrated balancer too.

watts = amperage x voltage

The higher the amperage, the higher the heat (= energy loss) so if your system can handle it always go for high voltage. It's the same with your lipo packs, that's why I run 6S with a low kv motor rather than 4S in 1/8 buggy.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Generally the only guys concerned with the high voltage power supplies are charging batteries that are higher than 3S. When the charger has to step up voltage it puts more load on the charger, and generates more heat. I'm not sure if charging batteries below 12v with a charger powered by 24v would provide any appreciable benefit.