R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Usvta/usgt legal heat sinks for motors (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/690994-usvta-usgt-legal-heat-sinks-motors.html)

The Captain 01-01-2013 01:14 AM

Usvta/usgt legal heat sinks for motors

Since it was determined that heat sinks are legal for motors in usvta/usgt, please post up the best ones on the market. I want to be able to compete with the fast guys, and they are all geared to the moon. You can smell some of their motors coming off the track. I don't want to replace motors every other week, but I'd like to gear up and reduce heat as much as possible.

So, post up your favorite heat sink for 25.5/21.5t motors, and explain why it is superior to everything else on the market.

I have a few ideas cooking, but it will be 100% custom, as no one makes anything with the material we use for IGBT heatsinking.

I'm also open to your opinions about thermal dynamics, as I have become quite involved in this theory with my current job.

Skiddins 01-01-2013 02:28 AM

There was a thread about fans, and some of us using heatsink compound on the motors to transfer lots of heat;

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...nk-vs-fan.html

ercwhtsd 01-01-2013 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by The Captain (Post 11617840)
Since it was determined that heat sinks are legal for motors in usvta/usgt, please post up the best ones on the market. I want to be able to compete with the fast guys, and they are all geared to the moon. You can smell some of their motors coming off the track. I don't want to replace motors every other week, but I'd like to gear up and reduce heat as much as possible.

So, post up your favorite heat sink for 25.5/21.5t motors, and explain why it is superior to everything else on the market.

I have a few ideas cooking, but it will be 100% custom, as no one makes anything with the material we use for IGBT heatsinking.

I'm also open to your opinions about thermal dynamics, as I have become quite involved in this theory with my current job.

When I was down by you guys, I started at a 3.61, and ended up at a low 3.9, if that helps any. No Fan,No heatsink on a SS motor with 12 deg of timing.

The Captain 01-01-2013 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by ercwhtsd (Post 11618662)
When I was down by you guys, I started at a 3.61, and ended up at a low 3.9, if that helps any. No Fan,No heatsink on a SS motor with 12 deg of timing.

I'm geared at 3.9 right now and my motor is not very warm at all. I've got plenty of speed down the straight, but get beat in the turns really easily. Since heat is what kills motors, I'd like to keep the temps as low as possible to help with longevity. I dont plan on overgearing, just want to keep the temps as low as possible.

I'm planning on making the nats race, I'm getting better and more consistent each week!

JFuel11 01-01-2013 10:51 AM

Gearing

I was geared last week at 4.0 flat with motor temps in the 150s to 160s. I think I was at 168 at the end of the 8 min main. The name of the game in VTA is corner speed. Sounds more like a chassis setup issue more than gearing or motor issue. I will be at the track on Thursday if you want to work on your setup a little and see if we can get the corner speed up.

I have been geared all the way don to 3.4 with my TC4 but the belt car (TC6 can not pull that much gear and there was not really much improvement in performance bellow 3.7 and the motors will run really hot.

I may go up one tooth to a 3.9 but didn't need a heatsink or fan anymore.

Let me know if you want to work on your setup.

The Captain 01-01-2013 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by JFuel11 (Post 11619003)
I was geared last week at 4.0 flat with motor temps in the 150s to 160s. I think I was at 168 at the end of the 8 min main. The name of the game in VTA is corner speed. Sounds more like a chassis setup issue more than gearing or motor issue. I will be at the track on Thursday if you want to work on your setup a little and see if we can get the corner speed up.

I have been geared all the way don to 3.4 with my TC4 but the belt car (TC6 can not pull that much gear and there was not really much improvement in performance bellow 3.7 and the motors will run really hot.

I may go up one tooth to a 3.9 but didn't need a heatsink or fan anymore.

Let me know if you want to work on your setup.

Thanks Alan, ill come by if I'm not busy since the track fees are reasonable now :D

I'm beginning to wonder if I have the trans ratio right when doing my calculations. I read it was 2 for the photon, but can't find the link anymore. My motor after the 8min main was seriously very cool, hardly warm at all. I usually gear my stuff to about 150*, or just hot enough that its not uncomfortable to hold for more than 3 seconds. That's how I've always geared, and its never been a problem. That's why I'm thinking I am way under geared, but I a still working on a on power push In the turns. Making one adjustment at a time was taking forever only running on race days, hopefully I can get a full solid day of testing in soon to get this thing running perfect.