Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Shorty" Brushless motors (Japan)

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 12:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default "Shorty" Brushless motors (Japan)

http://www.team-trion.com/products/index.html

I've stumbled upon this website advertising "Shorty" style motors. I used google translate to understand the features.. So there might be some strange grammar related structure. I'll do my best to clean it up a bit.

Features of "Shorty Motors"

Following characteristics.
● winding is short. Thus, the rotation is increased while keeping the torque even.
● winding resistance is low.
● Weight is (about 20 ~ 30g compared with conventional brushless motors) Improved weight distribution is possible. In addition, there are the following features of the structure.

If you scroll down a little there's some pictures of the shorty motor next to a regular sized motor.

I'm not to sure how well they will perform, but I might buy one in the near future. Since I have an older style chassis with the motor positioned further out, this very well might fixing the motor weight balance issue.

Tell me what you think
Old 01-01-2013, 02:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I like the idea and the possibilities the shorty components give us creative RC drivers for playing with chassislayout. For me this comes to play when thinking about using a shorty lipo for my prototype chassis.
For the competition with all its rules it seems to be no advantage to have a lighter motor. At least with my LRP electronics my battery side is already 40gr. too heavy.
If EFRA/ROAR would cancel their pointless minimum weight rule it would bring a lot of fresh air, creativity and new ideas into the market and make some space for these motors.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:03 AM
Tech Elite

The shorter motor is going to have less power and torque for the same wind. They will only make sense as a control motor, and that is what I suspect they are for - if you cast your mind back into the mists of time, Tamiya released a "short" brushed motor for the Minis, this "short" brushless motor would probably suit the same class. You don't need monster torque with only two driven wheels.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:47 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

i have run a team powers (10.5) short in a 2wd buggu , nice smooth power , it was great in the aspect, but it ran mega hot
Old 01-01-2013, 06:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Interesting idea, but probably not the best for a pan car as far as weight distribution ?

Old 01-01-2013, 06:30 AM
Tech Master

These motors won't be race legal. Not sure about ROAR but in Europe the motor specs have a minimum can length of 50mm.

winding is short. Thus, the rotation is increased while keeping the torque even
This points out the obvious, with a shorter can you have a shorter stator which means you get less torque, but more importantly it has less wire on the stator windings so it's like a 19.5T stator in a 21.5T labelled can. If you don't need the extra torque, and considering how much torque high turn motors have you don't really need it, then these motors will rev much higher than any normal length motor.

They might have a use in spec classes, but you aren't going to see them in sanctioned racing.