Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tires for low grip carpet(non-Ozite)

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 05:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Tires for low grip carpet(non-Ozite)

It is time to buy some tires specific for the track I am racing on. We are running TC 17.5 blinky on a low grip carpet track, non-ozite. The room is on the colder side during race days warming as the day goes on. The track owner has said no traction compound also. I have tried HPI x-patterns(crappy grey foam insert) and a set of Solaris carpet tires. I do not know the compound or insert of the Solaris, they work well on high grip CRC Carpet(5280 Raceway). Both sets of tires have similar grip, The Solaris are a little more predictable/consistent when pushing hard. Other drivers at the track tried them and did not like how hard you had to drive them for them to perform. Both tires have had same fastest lap, roughly the same average lap times. In the race yesterday my fastest lap with the Solaris tires was only .2 seconds faster then another drivers(very similar skill to me) fastest lap running the TC4 RTR tires. There is lots of lint and fuzz coming off the carpet, it is getting better as we run and vacuum the carpet.

With this being a new track I am trying to find the tires to use. I just do not have a good place to start. I was looking at the Sweep kitty rug tire since we have the fuzz and fine carpet dust coming from the carpet. Just wondering what other options there might be.

Here is the track, running the HPI x-patterns in the video.
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

What kind of carpet?
Old 12-30-2012, 05:58 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by The Captain
What kind of carpet?
Some in stock commercial carpet from Lowes I believe.

This might be it:
Daystar Light Grey Outdoor Carpet Item #: 160709
Old 12-30-2012, 06:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

You can't run foams?
Old 12-30-2012, 06:18 PM
Tech Master

Nope rubber tires only.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

I'd be running Sorex 24's if it were me.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

These are designed to run on non ozite. They give crazy high traction.

http://www.racing-cars.com/pp/Produc...rts/U6624.html
Old 12-30-2012, 07:48 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by AdrianM
These are designed to run on non ozite. They give crazy high traction.

http://www.racing-cars.com/pp/Produc...rts/U6624.html
We are probably not going to allow the offroad cars to run pin tires so there is no way we will run them on touring cars.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by CR0SS
We are probably not going to allow the offroad cars to run pin tires so there is no way we will run them on touring cars.
Get new carpet? No foams, no traction compound, no pin tires. Why even bother running there then? Id just let people run foams.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:49 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by The Captain
Get new carpet? No foams, no traction compound, no pin tires. Why even bother running there then? Id just let people run foams.
Why run? Because it is more fun then the car sitting on the shelf or driving 3+ hours to the next closest track. Ozite would have been great but the expense for the track owner was not worth it, he used the same carpet in the rest of his new store. I am fine with the carpet. The surface is slick but it is still fun and the challenge of setup is part of racing. As you can see in the video the traction is not what I would call bad.

All of the drivers agreed on no foam. It was done as a cost control. There is only one touring car within 30mins of this track, another 4 just under an hour away. So we are attracting all new drivers to touring cars. Everyone drives SCT's here.

The other limitations are for the longevity of the carpet. Pin tires pull the carpet apart wearing it very quickly, even ozite is destroyed by pin tires. The traction compound the track owner wants to limit the amount of a black groove on the carpet. The area is also used as an archery shooting range.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Foam isn't any more expensive than rubber if you are running on carpet. With the tighter layout you have the extra grip you get from foam is really worth considering.

I race with a club that races on astroturf, which is basically low grip carpet with no compound. We all race on foams. Something like 37 front 35 rear is what the TCs run. On 12th I use purple fronts and pink rears.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

If you are going to be using rubber tires, try running them with either very thin or no inserts at all. This will increase your forward bite and although make the car really lazy in the corners, the softer side walls due to low or no insert should help with lateral traction as well.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:26 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Radio Active
Foam isn't any more expensive than rubber if you are running on carpet. With the tighter layout you have the extra grip you get from foam is really worth considering.

I race with a club that races on astroturf, which is basically low grip carpet with no compound. We all race on foams. Something like 37 front 35 rear is what the TCs run. On 12th I use purple fronts and pink rears.
I always hear this argument and it never adds up. For one no one around here owns a truer, so someone is going to buy a truer or we all chip in and get one. Then it becomes a battle of truing tires to the best size handling wise and keeping them there. I have never seen someone being serious about racing not go through tires and always truing them. Not something you want to be doing when you are trying to attract new racers. Just getting them to do setup work on their car can be a challenge.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:27 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by duckman996
If you are going to be using rubber tires, try running them with either very thin or no inserts at all. This will increase your forward bite and although make the car really lazy in the corners, the softer side walls due to low or no insert should help with lateral traction as well.
Good tip on the inserts. Now it is just working out what might be the best rubber compound.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:55 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Give the Sweep Kitty Rugs a try. TQ usually has them in stock. You might read through the last few pages of the sweep thread, I think they've got some new stuff out now that's supposed to be good.

Or Sorex, 24 or 28. They're pricey, but it's the best tire there is. I'd run the hardest compound you can get away with. With no sauce, you might try warmers. Also, see if you're allowed to use simple green to clean the tires. I've found I can soften them a bit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.