BMI COPPERHEAD 12R

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BMI COPPERHEAD 12R

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 10:12 AM
Tech Champion

Pull rod suspension! Nice...I thought it might be that from the early pics. Do the ball studs slide in the lever arm or is there a small link in there that we can't see?

For caster are you going to make different c-hubs at pre-set angles?

Edit: Now that I'm looking at it on my desktop instead of my tablet I can see the pics more clearly and see where the ball stud will slide in the cantilever

Last edited by InspGadgt; 02-09-2013 at 10:35 AM.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:28 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by protc3
I am also going to be adding new holes on the arms where the up travel screw and ballstud mount. I am going to allow for them to be swapped for location. This will allow you to adjust leverage points. The further the ballstud is from the pivot of the cantilever, the softer the spring rate. This way you will have 2 spring rate options per set of springs with that now being 6 spring rates instead of 3.
If you could add shims under the ballstud on the a-arms, wouldn't that also make the spring effect harder ? You would then just need to shim the pivoting part accordingly toward the center of the car, or maybe even not. I guess with such a short lever, adding 0,5 mm or 1mm under the ball stud would significantly make the spring effect harder. Anyway, super cool front end. It was about time someone released a front end with double a-arms and real dampening on a pan-car ( the exception being the recent yokomo, but I'm not sure of how the monoshock works exactly).
Old 02-09-2013, 10:48 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
Pull rod suspension! Nice...I thought it might be that from the early pics. Do the ball studs slide in the lever arm or is there a small link in there that we can't see?

For caster are you going to make different c-hubs at pre-set angles?

Edit: Now that I'm looking at it on my desktop instead of my tablet I can see the pics more clearly and see where the ball stud will slide in the cantilever
It is a sliding pivot ball. Caster will be changed via c hub.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:51 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by heretic
If you could add shims under the ballstud on the a-arms, wouldn't that also make the spring effect harder ? You would then just need to shim the pivoting part accordingly toward the center of the car, or maybe even not. I guess with such a short lever, adding 0,5 mm or 1mm under the ball stud would significantly make the spring effect harder. Anyway, super cool front end. It was about time someone released a front end with double a-arms and real dampening on a pan-car ( the exception being the recent yokomo, but I'm not sure of how the monoshock works exactly).
There isnt much room to shim the ballstud but we do use the medium length ballstuds to increase spring rate. Your thinking is correct. The difference between a standard and medium ballstud is quite different.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Jason, this new car looks awesome so far!! Love the pull-rod front suspension!!

You should do an F1 car version of this car next...I bet it would be awesome!!
Old 02-09-2013, 04:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

An f1 would be sick. I'm not going to lie , when I saw the front end pics this morning I went from 6 to midnight.....
Old 02-09-2013, 04:51 PM
Tech Lord

Once i get things rolling, i will see what i can come up with for an F1.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:06 PM
Tech Master

OOOOOOOOO!!! Yeahaeh!
E
Old 02-09-2013, 10:50 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

can I have one yet? I have seen more than enough.

I am impatient , me wantee me wantee
Old 02-10-2013, 12:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Congratulations Jason on what is a genuine innovation for the class.

I'm not a BMI driver* but I'm sure this car will generate some interest. The guys who run the 12R in Australia are pretty passionate about the marque. And I think here your car has even more potential than perhaps in the US or the UK because we race on tarmac and rough finished concrete (as well as carpet) on unprepared surfaces. Basically, tracks can be rough, and grip low and this is where the level of adjustment and improved damping at the front can be a significant advantage.

* I actually have a 12th design project of my own.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Hi Jason,

Which Losi spring will give the equivalent spring rate to a "normal" front suspension using 0.020" springs? Those Micro-T springs are pretty soft, and it looks like there is quite a bit of leverage on the spring, too. Or are you using your own springs?
Old 02-10-2013, 02:34 AM
Tech Champion

He is making his own shocks and springs
Old 02-10-2013, 03:38 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Radio Active
Congratulations Jason on what is a genuine innovation for the class.

I'm not a BMI driver* but I'm sure this car will generate some interest. The guys who run the 12R in Australia are pretty passionate about the marque. And I think here your car has even more potential than perhaps in the US or the UK because we race on tarmac and rough finished concrete (as well as carpet) on unprepared surfaces. Basically, tracks can be rough, and grip low and this is where the level of adjustment and improved damping at the front can be a significant advantage.

* I actually have a 12th design project of my own.
Thanks buddy. I am looking to improve overall performance on all surfaces. The benefit of a good double wishbone should give me that once i get everything situated. So much goes on in a strut front end as it moves. I am looking to increase corner speed, give more adjustment for all surfaces, and make the car just overall easier to set up. I am going to spend time figuring the baseline setup but it should work real well. The big handling improvements are going to be generated by pretty close to perfect steering geometry. There is going to be close to no scrub at all through out the full steering throw. This is something that just isnt an available option today.

Im ok with the fact that I am not going to saturate the market with these cars. I am not able to travel around the world promoting it. I decided to offer the most exotic, high performance car i could dream up and this is what i have come up with.

Thank you guys for all the support. It is nice that even guys who wont run this car can appreciate what i am trying to accomplish. You are a good bunch of guys.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:41 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
He is making his own shocks and springs
That is correct. Losi springs are way too soft. Borderline pen springs.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:26 PM
Tech Lord

This week I am going to try to make the steering blocks, C hubs and steering spindles. That will be it for the front end, Then it is on to the pod. I cant wait to try this thing out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.