Old 01-01-2013, 11:09 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jeff jenkins
Wheelbase?
Old 01-01-2013, 11:41 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by protc3
He is getting stronger everyday. He just joined us for his 1st new years celebration. He is the best thing that ever happened to me.
That's great to hear Jason!
Old 01-02-2013, 02:57 AM
Tech Lord

Thanks buddy. I am hoping one day he gets to be 100%. Right now it is baby steps and i am happy with improvements. I will take anything as long as it is improvements.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I did wonder if their would be a bellcrank in your new design, that should keep the electronics package very tight on the chassis on a personnel note glad to hear your boy is doing better
Old 01-02-2013, 02:48 PM
Tech Lord

It is tight but not terrible. Being that I lengthened the wheelbase helped alot. I went with a longer wheelbase as it allows me to push some of the weight rearward and keep the car easy to drive. Most cars are short if not all that I have seen and this requires you to load the nose of the car with weight(with electronics being more forward) to keep the car drivable. This beats up the tires though. 1/12th cars steer around the center point of the rear axle. The further you put the weight away from the rear axle, the more difficult it is to turn the car. Kind of like putting the 50lb dog food bag in the front of the shopping cart. This works because the cars are so on edge from the short wheelbase that it makes the car very smooth but it accelerates front tire wear. Going with a longer wheelbase will take the edge off and allow you to move the weight rearward to bring back the aggressive feel without going overboard. It is alot easier to control the attitude of the car and get more out of the tires at the same time. It helps reduce tire chunking also. Its not at all a cure for tire wear but when I tested short vs. long wheelbase, long wheelbase did yield the exact same fast lap but was way more consistant and easy to drive. 1 fast lap doesnt win, many of them do and this is what I am looking for.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:53 PM

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Are you following the discussions and design aspects of some of the other new(er) cars about moving the pod center pivot forward more in the chassis (making the pod deeper)?

I used to run a DB12RR, but moved to V-Dezign cars and their handling is easily the best at maintaining corner speed of any car at the track I run at. A lot of that seems to come down to the center pivot and rear pod geometries. Recently the CRC AlterEgo chassis copied this design aspect as well. Just curious if your new cars are going to be leveraging that too.

I am pretty excited about what is being discussed here. Sounds like a solid amalgamation of new ideas and some of the new concepts being implemented around the class already.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:58 PM
Tech Champion

BMI cars have been long in the rear pod for awhile now. I remember discussions of precisely that a couple years ago.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:00 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Clegg
Are you following the discussions and design aspects of some of the other new(er) cars about moving the pod center pivot forward more in the chassis (making the pod deeper)?

I used to run a DB12RR, but moved to V-Dezign cars and their handling is easily the best at maintaining corner speed of any car at the track I run at. A lot of that seems to come down to the center pivot and rear pod geometries. Recently the CRC AlterEgo chassis copied this design aspect as well. Just curious if your new cars are going to be leveraging that too.

I am pretty excited about what is being discussed here. Sounds like a solid amalgamation of new ideas and some of the new concepts being implemented around the class already.
I actually did that on the CH12 car that has been out for a while now. This car has it a little further forward over the CH12. What this does is reduce the angle of the pod under compression of the shock. It keeps it more flat as it is not pivoting at such a steep angle. It does help alot.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:07 PM

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Sounds great! Cant wait to see the new rig! You know if it will be out in time for Nats?
Old 01-02-2013, 03:44 PM
Tech Champion

I think of it in terms of a bell crank type suspension...if you look at the pod from the side it is very similar to a bell crank. So if you lengthen the horizontal arm (lower pod plate) you get more leverage on the shock
Old 01-02-2013, 03:45 PM
Tech Lord

Anything is possible but first and formost, the car has to run the way i want it to. If i put my name on it, it must be 100%.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

How soon will we see the actual car? i cant hold off my purchase of other.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by choisan
How soon will we see the actual car? i cant hold off my purchase of other.
If you read the thread he says it shpuldnt be too much longer but it has to perform the way he wants or else its back to the drawing board.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:55 AM
Tech Master

It does seem that a couple of chassis designs are now moving the centre pivot position back a little from the very far forward position used recently. The cars feel too safe as the traction comes up with a very far forward position, hence moving it back slightly.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:00 PM
Tech Lord

The pivot location isnt going to make a huge difference if everything else is right as far as steering geometry and such. It is best to have as little angle change in the pod as you can without going too crazy and moving the weight too far forward. There is a balance that needs to be had.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.