Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
BMI COPPERHEAD 12R >

BMI COPPERHEAD 12R

BMI COPPERHEAD 12R

Old 02-10-2013, 02:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've noticed that none of the photos of the rear end show a centre ball-pivot, and from the delta shape of the braces and comments Jason has made so far about the whole car being exotic, I'm going to go ahead and guess that the car will have a 4-link rear end.

(Here is a 4-link rear end for anyone unfamiliar with the concept: http://www.rctech.net/forum/11499379-post38662.html )
Old 02-10-2013, 02:59 PM
Tech Master

I would like to try this the frontend on an oval car. Corner speed is everything for us.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

wow the front end looks so sweeeeet. Just curious what the weight difference compaire to a reg sliding pin front end like the associate or CRC's front end.

Seems to be a lot heavier compaired to those.

Also how durable is this front end going to be.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:30 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cyrrus
wow the front end looks so sweeeeet. Just curious what the weight difference compaire to a reg sliding pin front end like the associate or CRC's front end.

Seems to be a lot heavier compaired to those.

Also how durable is this front end going to be.
Actually it is very light. It is mostly all delrin. I will weigh it when its complete. It should land right about or a little less than both of those front ends.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:32 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Radio Active
I've noticed that none of the photos of the rear end show a centre ball-pivot, and from the delta shape of the braces and comments Jason has made so far about the whole car being exotic, I'm going to go ahead and guess that the car will have a 4-link rear end.

(Here is a 4-link rear end for anyone unfamiliar with the concept: http://www.rctech.net/forum/11499379-post38662.html )
Not a 4 link. That would generate way too much rear bite. I am going with a standard link rear end with the option to run flex plates.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:37 PM
Tech Lord

As far as durability, i will have to let you know. According to calculations, it should be great. This thing called reality always throws a monkey wrench into it.

If i need to beef it up, it will be done before i release it.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:39 PM
Tech Champion

That particular 4 link really isn't a 4 link...yes it uses 4 links but with the V-links being vertical the suspension doesn't float. Having the vertical v-link effectively fixes the pivot point to the front center of the pod just like a current pivot/link rear suspension does now.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
That particular 4 link really isn't a 4 link...yes it uses 4 links but with the V-links being vertical the suspension doesn't float. Having the vertical v-link effectively fixes the pivot point to the front center of the pod just like a current pivot/link rear suspension does now.
So, there are other types of 4 links. Could you post a link to one?

I'm only familiar with the type I posted, which, as I understand it, can raise or lower the effective pivot point, and thus raise or lower the rear roll centre.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:45 PM
Tech Lord

The one i was referring to is a panhard type 4 link suspension.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:15 PM
Tech Champion

So, there are other types of 4 links. Could you post a link to one?

I'm only familiar with the type I posted, which, as I understand it, can raise or lower the effective pivot point, and thus raise or lower the rear roll centre.
You could do that with typical pivot/link suspensions as well simply by putting shims or spacers under the mount and ball to raise it up.

Typically when I hear 4 link suspension I'm thinking more of the modified 5 link suspension. The 5 link uses 4 horizantal links with a side link or pan hard rod to keep it from moving left to right. The 4 link evolution of that replaces the pan hard rod by taking the bottom 2 links and putting them in a V formation so they hold each other in place and keeps the pod from moving left to right. You see this on a lot of monster trucks right now.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Well keep up the good work. can't wait to get my hanks one one.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

hey just curious. would another front end still align up with the holes.

just curious if needed to in an emergency.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:50 PM
Tech Lord

The chassis may be too narrow to run strut front ends. I will look into though. This chassis is extremely narrow front and rear. This is done to reduce area for touch downs.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

There are two different pivot points on the quad V link. The roll center is where lines drawn through the vertical links cross, and can be pretty much anywhere, even below ground. The pivot point for the anti-squat is set by the height of the balls where the side links connect to the motor pod plate. One neat thing about this arrangement is that adjustments to roll center and anti-squat are independent-- changing one doesn't affect the other.

Jason is correct, the lower roll center will give more lateral grip at the rear. This requires stiffer side springs to achieve the same handling as a higher roll center. But since the jacking effect is eliminated by having the roll center at ground level, the handling is bit more predictable on high grip tracks.

Not that any of the above is going to make me go faster! I just did it for old times' sake, to be different, and because I think it's pretty.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:51 AM
Tech Lord

It definately has a true cool factor. That is very nicely executed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.