R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-29-2012, 04:06 AM   #1
Tech Rookie
Default Drill motor?

I had an old craftsman drill that took a dip in the pool for a few hours, the 18 Volt battery pack and the built-in gearbox were both trashed, but I wanted to salvage the motor. After testing it with 2 9V batteries wired in series and sure enough it spun up. I found the spec sheet for the little motor and I've been looking at it, it looks like quite the powerful little motor, with an all metal case and a metal drive gear on the end of the shaft. The spec sheet is linked below. Don't worry, I'm not a bot, I just find this hobby fascinating and I'd love to be involved in it.

htt[Remove this block of text and the brackets around it]p://ww[Remove this block of text and the brackets around it]w.mabuchi-motor.co.jp/cgi-b..._ID=rs_775vcwc

The motor I have is the RS-775WC-8514. Seems like this little motor has quite a bit of torque to it, that should allow me to use a pretty high gearing and still have quite a bit of "get up and go". I know I'd need to buy myself a parts car for a chassis, I'm not sure if I'd need to upgrade the controller or not, but I don't think that most RC controllers are designed to deliver 18 volts. Would I be better off buying myself a mid-range car and buying a decent brushless motor and the likes.
Viban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:21 PM   #2
Tech Adept

You would be much better off getting something midrange and having fun.
Buy a used set up, RTR kit ect.
uatemycookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:39 PM   #3
Tech Master

A friend of mine took the motor out of a dead hand-held vacuum cleaner a few years ago. He plugged it to a 7,2 pack and the motor spat out a big could of dust, spinning crazy fast. He took the armature out, cut the comm, and put it in a mod can with bearings etc, and the thing was working really well. He later lent it to me and I used it for a 1/12th race. It was almost as fast as the 10 turn I was using at the time. It was just funny to have a "vacuum motor" in my car. Aaah, memories...

Keep the mabuchi on a shelf where it belongs, and find yourself a nice entry-level KIT. ( NO RTR is my motto). I think you'll find this hobby surprisingly addictive.
I love wedge bodies. I love dish wheels.
heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:26 PM   #4
Tech Rookie

Well, actually I've decided to go completely scratch with this. I see an all aluminum independent A-arm suspension system, mounted on to an aluminum chassis. Drive system will probably be like that of a go-cart, Engine to jackshaft, jackshaft to axle, this should allow good ground clearance with the gear on the axle. I might do a rear swingarm suspension, or I might look for a way to get a couple of u-joints on it and do A-arms in the back too, I'm undecided. Regardless, I'm gonna enter with a bang.
Viban is offline   Reply With Quote