R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-19-2012, 03:02 PM   #16
Tech Addict

I bought a used TC4 and with minimal tools and a little help from the other racers was able to get my car dialed in enough to stay on the lead lap and make A-mains.

However, the club "expert" could win with my car. So it isn't the tools holding me back, it is my racing ability.

Get it good enough, learn to drive and go from there.
.crispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:07 PM   #17
Tech Adept

Pretty much echo everyone's comments so far. Get some basic tools, do some basic setup work and once you get really consistent with your car then you can think about investing some serious time and money into setups.
Spec-R S1, Schumacher CAT SX3 S1
Fuzzi0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:46 PM   #18
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

1/10 TC can be lots of fun, but its also a bit of work. TC as TC (17.5, 13.5, mod) can be hard, no bones about it. TC as usvta is less hard and can be loads and loads of fun.

You do need to be precise and small measurements make a big difference, but its not all that hard to get started. You don't have to learn everything at once. Have someone help you get the car set up, teach you the basics of how to maintain it and then go concentrate on your driving. Try to learn a little at a time and you will surprised how quickly you pick up the basics. The experienced drivers can help you with chassis changes to get the car tuned to the track. You'll figure out quickly what tools you need and what you don't.

We start new TC drivers out in usvta at our place and it works pretty well. Of course, I don't know your overall skill level so take that as you will.
Michael Larson.

yeah. i know.
mikel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:14 PM   #19
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I raced off road for years. I bought an Associated TC6.1 this year and I too, was completely overwhelmed with all of the info. I did a lot of reading on this site and while there is a lot of good info, you don't know what really needs to be focused on. I spent a lot of money getting started in touring cars. I bought a $150 Hudy setup station. Wish I hadn't as I have only used it once! Come to find out, my local hobby shop has one I can use and my club has several. I thought I had my car set up perfect. Then, the guys in my club set me straight. In no time at all, I was giving these guys a run for their money. Touring car racing isn't a whole lot of fun to watch like offroad racing is. My wife came and watched me race my touring car and was pretty bored. I doubt she will be back and that is fine with me. But I sure do have a blast driving it! I love the feel of these things. Also, they're pretty tough! I've never damaged my car. It seems offroad stuff breaks way more often. Touring car racing is a blast. Just get your car set up the best you can, and then take it to your club and have somebody help you set it up right. In my club, people are more than willing to offer you help. They'll notice things about how your car is handling and offer plenty of advice. Honestly, now that my car is set up, I don't really make many adjustments at all. Touring cars are a blast!
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:57 PM   #20
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

i have been into off road way back with the optima mid, and still have it. moving from that to touring, i would say the adjustments are a pain, but the maintanance is far less, i no longer have to clean my bearings after every day of running, and cleaning is easier. I find that offroad is more of a hassle, but i still dabble in off road once in a while.
kawada sv10 alcyon 3-sanwa mx3x-orca vx v4.1 software-team powers 13.5 motor-turnigy 4200 shorty lipo-savox 1251 servo RIDE RE32
alcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:08 PM   #21
Tech Lord
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

One of the greatest things about racing a TC indoors on carpet is that tires last quite a while and don't really change all that much. I'm not sure there's another competitive style of RC racing anywhere that's easier on tires than TC on carpet. It's a great way to get a lot of wheel time without too much wrenching on a practice day if your car is working alright.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:23 PM   #22
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Any type of competitive on road class is tough to figure out at first, but with a little patience and a lot of perseverance will lead you to always having a fun day at the track. Sedan is often looked at as hard to get in to and very frustrating. At first, yes, it does set you back a bit, but after you have acquired your basics the rest is just learning. And as long as you stay on top of all maintenance your car should work the same every time you go to run again(relatively speaking).
Mikes Hobby Shop--> mikeshobbyshop.com
-Viper-RC Solutions-
Team Tree Top!
Damon_English is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:25 PM   #23
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by viking252200 View Post
So guys, help me out here! Are touring cars really this difficult??
rccartips is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:35 PM   #24
Tech Rookie
Default Are touring cars really this difficult?

The quoting module is a core component of manufacturing software / ERP software solutions.
Hello My Friend Mr. Josh-n-ya!!
I am totally agree your quotation.
[url="http://www.marvelvinyls.com/"]PU Leather[/url]|[url="http://www.marvelvinyls.com/"]Vinyl Sheet[/url]|[url="http://www.marvelvinyls.com/"]Plastic Sheet[/url]
shradhagulyani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:48 PM   #25
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by viking252200 View Post
So guys, help me out here! Are touring cars really this difficult??
Only as hard as you make it and by reading your OP, seems like you want to learn everything in one day. On and Off-road are tuned the same way with almost the same amount of settings. Take your time and learn as you go.
goots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:47 AM   #26
Tech Adept

Thanks for all the replies guys!

I have a lot to learn obviously but I'll give it a go
viking252200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:09 AM   #27
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

It was a bit of a learning curve that I am not sure where I am on. I will say this though. After going back to off-road my off-road car has a boring amount of set tings on it compared to my on-road cars. If you stick with on-road and, at some point dig into it seriously you will find your off-road car maintenance habits improve tremendously. After I ran on-road a while and picked up the habits of the on-road racers, my off-road was greatly improved - everything from maintenance, detailed setup and driving. It all made a big jump. I attribute most of it to habits I picked up in on-road. Good luck and enjoy.
On-point/ EA horsey power/XFactory / Hudy / Tekin / Trinity / KO Propo / Reino's Ragu
mracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:25 AM   #28
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
Sure you can race offroad without all that but if you are really serious, you will have it. Onroad is the same, you can do without but if you're serious, you will get them.
No... you don't need all that stuff to be serious in off road. You need ride height gauge, camber gauge, digital calipers, and a flat surface such as a setup board. You can't feel .1 mm difference in droop in off road. It's not uncommon for our cars to have a mm or more of slop in them before even replacing worn parts.
AE B5M / AE B44.3 / AE RC10WC / AE RC8B3
Razathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:51 AM   #29
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

If you goal is to make the 'show' and 'win', it'll require the same (highest) level of prep and setup regardless of the discipline (on vs. off road). You'll be focusing on different areas of your car. In off road, tires/inserts/wheels and shock setup have a huge impact to performance. Whereas, in on road with controlled/spec tires it's primarily chassis setup changes to generate mechanical grip that makes the difference. An off road racer might not notice a .1mm difference in droop/roll center/etc but most will claim they can notice a 2.5wt difference in oil weight. Or a piston hole that is 1.1mm vs 1.3mm (.2mm difference).

Let's face it, if you're racing at a high level and are looking to gain .1 - .2 sec/lap you're making small/fine changes. It takes a great deal of knowledge, tools/equipment, and the ability to execute the right changes for the changing track condition to make this happen. In off road you may not need to bring every setup tool but you're definitely showing up with a box load of tires.
- Middle River Hobbies - The Track -
John.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:00 AM   #30
Tech Master
Send a message via ICQ to JiuHaWong

Originally Posted by Razathorn View Post
No... you don't need all that stuff to be serious in off road. You need ride height gauge, camber gauge, digital calipers, and a flat surface such as a setup board.
Yes... you don't necessarily need a setup station for off road, but IMHO, it is more accurate than say using a camber gauge and laying it against a tire that is probably out of round. Think about how real mechanics adjust camber/toe/caster on a real car, they use an alignment rack, they don't measure it out or guess by their eye.

Toe, especially, is easier to adjust on a setup station. Ride height gauge is good to have irregardless, as is a setup board. I will concede that slop can throw everything off, but at least you have a place to start from when making adjustments.

As for the OP,

I'd highly recommend the setup gauges (Hudy is better/Integy is ok). both are invaluable for ensuring your camber/toe is correct), some sort of tweak station (I liked MIP's), ride height gauges and droop guages.

Worth every penny, IMHO.
JiuHaWong is offline   Reply With Quote