Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why no "Learn to Race RC" clinics??

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 09:18 AM
Tech Initiate

Why no "Learn to Race RC" clinics??

Ok, so here is a thought. I had my first practice night last night, and let me tell you, it was UGLY. Im currently questioning if I can even DO this racing thing. I couldnt keep the car going in any useful direction at all. I ended up killing the suspension on the right side after hitting a wall, which ended my night. I also became a little too familair with the support pillars and turn marker disks (I have yellow streaks all over the bottom of the car now). So I was wondering, considering, Im hoping, Im not the first one to have these difficulties, why doesnt anyone put on a one-day RC racing clinic to teach novices how to race? You could go over racing technique, proper equipment maintenance, and then have lots of track time. It would give novices a lot more confidence and it would make them more comfortable learning in a non-pressure environment. You could probably charge like $20 for a day of instruction and make a nice little profit too. Does this sound like a good idea to anyone else?
Old 04-08-2005, 09:33 AM
Tech Addict

Default no way

socal raceway did that about 4 years ago all tc3 every car was broke in on the first lap, to much work
Old 04-08-2005, 09:34 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I rode to a race last weekend and the person I drove down with and we had a conversation about this very thing. HobbyTown USA's do things like this with Pinewood Derby cars, air brushing, model building, you name it, but why does no-one do a "How To Race" type of thing. The reason being is because it's up to the racers themselves to volunteer to do it. The track owners can't do it because it's a job too big for one person, plus they need to worry about running the shop too. Its a matter of the experienced guys stepping up and saying "Lets do this, this is important"
Old 04-08-2005, 09:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

i heard Josh Cryul was going to do this at his track not sure when its in Toldeo Ohio
Old 04-08-2005, 09:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Exp racers should be doing this in a casual sort of way. I know that I will help out noobs with set up, but more importantly I will try to watch them on the track and give them a little feed back on their last run. Your not born with the knowledge to race, it's learn like everything else. We need to help out these new guys and give them a little schooling on things other than setup, like race etiquite(sp). Remember with out percecption, power is useless.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:42 AM
Tech Elite

a local track, (now closed) used to do just that, but for free. what i would suggest is the slowest motor you can find don't worry about going fast, just staying between the lines can be a challenge. and don't be shy about asking questions, almost all tracks have a driver or two that is more the willing to help out a new guy. play some of the higher quality more realistic driving games, where the cars will actually push if you go into a corner to fast, it will teach you throttle control and braking.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:48 AM
Tech Initiate

Yeah, I dont know why no one steps up to do this. You could do it one day a month and take home a couple hundred bucks. I would LOVE to have something like this right now because, frankly, I feel a little lost with all of the things you have to do to keep a racer in top shape.
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I just got my buddy started in the sport. His first words after his first pack was "Man-you guys make this look easy".

It isnt easy-but its gets easier. What you need is a mentor-someones whos been in the sport awhile and has his head screwed on stright.

Here are some tips on how I got my buddy started.

-he gets all my old tires
-he gets everyones used bodies
-bought a $150 used TC3 with some spares.
-loaned him packs, esc, servo to start.
-let him buy only consumables-no hop-ups-no bling.
-after a few weeks and he was hooked-he bought a GTX and a KO digital servo.

ONly up front big expense was a good new radio. he got a synthesized FM Fuataba radio and a couple sets of crystals.

He started with old batteries and this allowed him to abuse the batteries and get on the track as much as he could.

Hes been at it a couple months now and hes already improved a lot. We didnt even let him see lap times till a couple weeks ago. When he started to get on the clock he was running 15 to 20 sec laps. He is now down to 12.4 and the fastest lap on the track is 10.8, but most guys runs 11.3 or so. Thats darn good if you ask me.

So-I think the main focus needs to be get a car thats got major parts support at track, dont try too hard-just make laps-drive the middle. But make sure youve got someone very knoledgeable to make sure your cars handling is in the allpark and the way the car is built is good.

I'll think of more later.

Ray
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I know i would go to one of these things. The only time i actually had help from someone about my car was when i was watching a race, and it was a nitro guy which i dont do. Its bad when guys at hobbystores get mad when you ask alot of question because i do since i dont know much about electric (i was a nitro guy). I wish i could find someone in my area that would help me to setup my car without giving me face expressions when i ask stupid questions to them. Thats why i dont like to ask questions about setups anymore.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

There really is no way to teach someone to drive. Its all practice. Practice makes perfect. Practice Practice Practice. Get the point?

You can definatly teach someone the finer points on how to race and whatnot but there is no teaching driving.

Dont try to go as fast as you can from the beginning, and plan on breaking a bunch of stuff. Thats how it goes

Last edited by L.Fairtrace; 04-08-2005 at 10:17 AM.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:08 AM
Tech Addict

First thing is ask a boatload of questions about car setup and even radio setup most tracks have a driver that is more then willing to help and even give some poiters on driving technique.
Second you need to go slow before you go fast..... I see a ton of guys who just want to get the fastest car and go as fast as they can and all they do is point and shoot and they get frustrated when they break or cant make the A. dont be afraid to limit how fast your car goes most esc's and radios can be adjusted so you cant go full throttle and dial in some auto brake until you get used to hitting your marks. Dont worry about lap times and results. use some patience it wont happen overnight.
Third is dont give up dont get frustrated after all it's supposed to be fun and realize that rome wasnt built in a day.
last but certainly not least is PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE and more PRACTICE. there is no substitute for track time................
Old 04-08-2005, 10:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Ray, you had a used TC3? I don't believe it
Old 04-08-2005, 10:13 AM
Tech Addict

Also if a guy at the LHS gets mad because your asking questions then it's time to find another place to do business with.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:28 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i do what ray did.

as thats how it happened to me...

it's like that commercial where people keep tossing the keys to different people giving the vehicle away so another can prosper from it..

as far as an LHS getting mad... there could be lot of things causing this.

Imagine you were a LHS worker/owner. same person every 3 hours kept breaking the same part and asking you how to fix it... sometimes its hard to hold that in. now multiply that one person by 4 or 5 other people... it's not an easy job working behind a hobby counter...
Old 04-08-2005, 10:41 AM
Tech Adept

no doubt practice practice practice.

However I strongly disagree that you should not worry about lap times. My biggest improvements came after knowing what my lap times where, it become very clear that going slow and keeping in control produced the fastest lap times.

I too don't understand why tracks don't have "Novice Night" or something like that where they do some promotion to bring newcomers in to run and can explain and answer questions, perhaps have a final race at the end of the night.

It can only increase business.

Cheers,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.