Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
AE TC 6.1 or Tamiya Spec R R1? >

AE TC 6.1 or Tamiya Spec R R1?

AE TC 6.1 or Tamiya Spec R R1?

Old 10-24-2012, 07:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default AE TC 6.1 or Tamiya Spec R R1?

OK so my neighbor (resqnu) and I are buying our first touring cars. First I am not new to the hobby and I'm an accomplished offroad driver. I have had everything from losi, mugen, kyosho and Durango 1/10th - 1/8th nitro and electric. I got my neighbor hooked on offroad and now we want some onroad cars.

We have narrowed it down to these 2 and now are comparing the 2 cars the TC6.1 on sale for $250 and the Spec R R1 $289.99 which is not made by Tamiya sorry I'm new to onroad.

My neighbor wants the TC6.1 which is a nice car. I am leaning towards the Spec R R1.

What I am looking for is which one of these cars box stock is capable of competing at a high level. If any upgrades are needed what would need to be purchased. We have lots of electronics to get them up and running instantly.

We are looking for advice from real racers (no fan boys). As we have both learned most cars are quite capable in the right hands.

Oh and should I get a 1/10th set up kit? If so other than Hudy (I have an 1/8th scale hudy set up station) who makes a good 1/10th set up station.

Last edited by vladconnery; 10-24-2012 at 08:16 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:01 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

For one, a little more research helps.....Tamiya does not make the R1, it is Spec R. Tamiya don't really do anodized red for their team cars too and worth about double that price.

I would get the Spec R. I think the Associated is among the lowest build quality of all the top end tourers out there.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I'd get the new TOP EX...

but since thats not on your list I would say the TC6.1
Old 10-24-2012, 08:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dan
For one, a little more research helps.....Tamiya does not make the R1, it is Spec R. Tamiya don't really do anodized red for their team cars too and worth about double that price.

I would get the Spec R. I think the Associated is among the lowest build quality of all the top end tourers out there.
Thanks for the info Dan. I found this: http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ...pg_no=&bbs_no=

It says Spec R R1 and the pic shows red anodization. Is this something aftermarket thats being done to it?
Old 10-24-2012, 08:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mr.A Morris
I'd get the new TOP EX...

but since thats not on your list I would say the TC6.1
Price point is the cut off person with my same last name.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:09 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vladconnery
Thanks for the info Dan. I found this: http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ...pg_no=&bbs_no=

It says Spec R R1 and the pic shows red anodization. Is this something aftermarket thats being done to it?
What are you talking about? Its not made by Tamiya thats all.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dan
What are you talking about? Its not made by Tamiya thats all.
Oh ok I see. LOL I said I was new to on road.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:13 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)
Default TAMIYA DONT DO RED!

Set-up station at this stage......maybe not,you can get by with a droop gauge,ride height gauge and camber gauge.
Get a flat piece of laminated mdf or glass for a setup board.
TC6.
Tip.....ALWAYS use wheel nuts that have nylon/nylock,the others fall off( the serrated ones),on both flexible and stiff rims.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)
Default Swap?

I have a brand new in the box Corally RDX Phi09....$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Wanting to swap for a AE B4.1 worlds edition.
Food for thought.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

the TC6/6.1 doesnt require any upgrades to be the top car...its great right out of the box, with the manual setup. Easy to drive and when you get to a point to make adjustments to fit your driving style, it comes with all of that in the kit.

I ran the car at Snowbirds "boxstock" in VTA and amTC 17.5, and walked away with lots of hardware...I took the same two cars and raced at several tracks over the summer and ran the same setup(motor time changed) and repeated my Birds sucess everytime.

the car is great and at the price its at is very very good
Old 10-24-2012, 08:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Although the Spec R R1 looks like an amazing car, the TC6.1 has already been proven has a champion-winning chassis.

Either car is going to do exactly what you need it to do. However, you should check your local hobby shop and see if they stock AE parts or Spec-R parts. It would suck to break a part on race day and not have a spare and the hobby shop not carry those parts.

ALso, with respect to setup stations, this is what my brother and I use.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/INTEGY-C2230...item564c8e76aa

We split the costs and it does exactly what the Hudy station does. The Hudy station is ~$150. This is $50. I've found that the measurements are more than accurate enough for our uses. Save yourself the money and just get that.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:36 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by vladconnery
OK so my neighbor (resqnu) and I are buying our first touring cars. First I am not new to the hobby and I'm an accomplished offroad driver. I have had everything from losi, mugen, kyosho and Durango 1/10th - 1/8th nitro and electric. I got my neighbor hooked on offroad and now we want some onroad cars.

We have narrowed it down to these 2 and now are comparing the 2 cars the TC6.1 on sale for $250 and the Spec R R1 $289.99 which is not made by Tamiya sorry I'm new to onroad.

My neighbor wants the TC6.1 which is a nice car. I am leaning towards the Spec R R1.

What I am looking for is which one of these cars box stock is capable of competing at a high level. If any upgrades are needed what would need to be purchased. We have lots of electronics to get them up and running instantly.

We are looking for advice from real racers (no fan boys). As we have both learned most cars are quite capable in the right hands.

Oh and should I get a 1/10th set up kit? If so other than Hudy (I have an 1/8th scale hudy set up station) who makes a good 1/10th set up station.
The TC6.1 is a World Class TC out of the box. At $250 it is a no brainer although even at full price it is still the better option.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)
Default Tc6

TC6.1
is the way to go.
better hurry I don't think they will last long at the clearance price.
They are just moving the old stock since the release of the Worlds.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:24 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Both are great cars. The fastest car at the local track is a RSD6/TC6.1 from Reflex Racing. The Spec-R is fantastic as well from what I can tell and so far it seems to be really competitive and build quality is quite good for the price, better than the TC6.1 IMO but parts are just now hitting shops so if you want ease of maintenance, get the TC6.1, if you want something new that most folks won't have, the Spec-R. Also the TC6.1 has been "proven" where as the Spec-R was just released and still has a few quibbles to work out in mfg (Spur gear adapter, some bearing pinch and a lack of extensive setup help.)
Old 10-24-2012, 08:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

My vote goes to the 6.1

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.