Wiki Posts
Search

New to 1/12 Pancar, Need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 08:35 AM
Tech Rookie

Default New to 1/12 Pancar, Need some advice

Hi!

I`m planning to start with a 1/12 Pancar for indoor raceing.

I`m new to onroad racing, but have some experience with 1/8 buggys.

I`ve been looking at this kit: Serpent S120 Link

Is it any good for a newbie? I`d also like to have some advice on witch ESC and motor to choose. Guess I don`t need some high-end stuff, but somethings that work.

Thanks
Old 12-09-2012, 09:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Your questions can only really be answered with questions. The S120LT is a great car (I race it) but they recently released the S120LTX which uses 2mm graphite instead of the 2.5mm that the LT uses. It pretty much is setup like all the other pan cars out there.

You will have to go to your local track and find out what classes they are running. 17.5 Blinky, 13.5, Open, etc. A good cheap ESC that will not require a booster/receiver pack would be the Hobbywing 120a 1s. Just make sure you pickup the program box.

Originally Posted by Klodrik
Hi!

I`m planning to start with a 1/12 Pancar for indoor racing.

I`m new to onroad racing, but have some experience with 1/8 buggys.

I`ve been looking at this kit: Serpent S120 Link

Is it any good for a newbie? I`d also like to have some advice on witch ESC and motor to choose. Guess I don`t need some high-end stuff, but somethings that work.

Thanks
Old 12-09-2012, 09:41 AM
WRR
Tech Adept

I have been racing the serpent and it is as good as any car out there. Very easy to set up with stock springs.
A Tekin speedo and Thunderpower motor is one good combo. Batteries lik Thunderpower and reedy are a good recommendation also.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:45 AM
Tech Champion

http://www.rctech.net/forum/californ...ll-so-cal.html
Old 12-09-2012, 09:53 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for your replys.

Guess I`ll head to the local track and find out what they`ll use there.

What sort of motor will work fine with the Hobbywing esc?
Old 12-09-2012, 12:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Any brand will work fine. Stick with Trinity, RevTech, Tekin, Thunderpower, Reedy, etc.

Originally Posted by Klodrik
Thanks for your replys.

Guess I`ll head to the local track and find out what they`ll use there.

What sort of motor will work fine with the Hobbywing esc?
Old 12-10-2012, 02:59 AM
Suspended

Any brand will work fine. Stick with Trinity, RevTech, Tekin, Thunderpower, Reedy, etc. I have been racing the serpent and it is as good as any car out there. Very easy to set up with stock springs.
Batteries lik Thunderpower and reedy are a good recommendation also.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:19 PM
Tech Regular

So I have been racing 1/12 on and off for about 10 years and have seen a lot of changes. One thing that I have learned in regards to picking a chassis is that is nice to buy one that other local racers use and that you can get parts for. For me this has been the CRC or Associated cars. I am currently running the CRC Xti and it is great, not saying the Serpent is bad there just isn't any support for it where I race.

As far as picking an ESC the ones with the built in booster are the way to go. Like the 1-2s Orion R10, Hobbywing 1s, Viper, or LRP SXX/Flow.

Motor - currently the fastest one we have found (17.5 blinky class) is the D3.5 based motors like the ones from Trinity, Fantom, EAMotorsports.

Batteries - More capacity and a higher C rating are good, they give you better average voltage through the run, which is important in an 8 minute electric race. Fantom, Reedy, Orion, EAMotorsports, Thunder Power... They all make great batteries.

Servo - make sure you get a good high quality servo your car. Airtronics SGR-HR or 94761, Futaba 9650, JR 3650 are some good recommendations.

Tires - Pick a brand that you can reliably get and stick with them. CRC and Jaco are usually the most common, I personally like the CRC tires better, more compound options on lighter wheels.

Bodies - for stock racing the Protoform AMR or the CRC/Black Art Audi R8C. The CRC is a little less stable but lets the car rotate a little faster, try them both and see what one you like better.

Other little things to get would be TQ 16 gauge wire for the motor, and one of their sensor wires. Super flexible so it helps to eliminate the wire from tweaking your car. A tweak board it nice to have. MIP, Integy and Hudy all make one that will work with a 1/12 car. You don't really need to buy a setup system for a 1/12 car (the Hudy one), a good set of calipers, ride height gauge and a camber gauge are all that you really need for setting one up.

Hope this helps.