Search

D 3.5 17.5 VS OTHERS

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 10:46 AM
CL
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pokey72
I have a trackstar 17.5 as well and used it this weekend in 1/12. I had complaints from everyone on how fast it was. Even the track owner came over to check I was running blinky. I took the entire motor apart last night to clean it for the first time. The rotor is painted black and drill balanced (like they used to on brushed motors). The rotor also had alot of magnetism / more than usual...and it's small. My cheap verniers measure it at 12.2mm. Which is probably why it's good on 1S...small rotor = higher RPM. Good for crazy rollouts in 1/12 blinky.

It is not ROAR approved but I had a clear advantage so I felt I needed to put back in my original motor to keep firends.
Do you have the silver or the red Trackstar motor? I took a silver Trackstar motor apart and compared it to a Reedy, and the rotor and stator are interchangable. Both rotors measured 12.5mm. They have the same power.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

I have a trackstar 17.5 as well and used it this weekend in 1/12. I had complaints from everyone on how fast it was. Even the track owner came over to check I was running blinky. I took the entire motor apart last night to clean it for the first time. The rotor is painted black and drill balanced (like they used to on brushed motors). The rotor also had alot of magnetism / more than usual...and it's small. My cheap verniers measure it at 12.2mm. Which is probably why it's good on 1S...small rotor = higher RPM. Good for crazy rollouts in 1/12 blinky.

It is not ROAR approved but I had a clear advantage so I felt I needed to put back in my original motor to keep firends.
Who do we need to e-mail/write to get this motor roar approved..i like it so far & the temps are cool
Old 12-18-2012, 08:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Your letting our secret out.. I have two silver 17.5's, one is on par, the other is a rocket.

Edit: the silver trackstar is not recommended for racing ; )
Old 12-18-2012, 10:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Okay guys, here's the deal. The new trackstar motors are just reedy clones. That's why all the components are interchangeable. While I won't kick somebody for running one at the club level, I' ll never let one run at a trophy/regional level race. Why? Because Reedy did all the R&D and spent the money to get that design legalized, only to have Turnigy steal their work. If Turnigy is too lazy, or cheap to get "their" design homologated for sanctioned races, then it proves the lack of commitment they show the racing community. Knock-offs may save the casual consumer money, but they hurt the racing community as a whole.

Just the opinions of a racer/ race director. I understand the economic climate, but piracy of intellectual property is still vulgar imho.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
Okay guys, here's the deal. The new trackstar motors are just reedy clones. That's why all the components are interchangeable. While I won't kick somebody for running one at the club level, I' ll never let one run at a trophy/regional level race. Why? Because Reedy did all the R&D and spent the money to get that design legalized, only to have Turnigy steal their work. If Turnigy is too lazy, or cheap to get "their" design homologated for sanctioned races, then it proves the lack of commitment they show the racing community. Knock-offs may save the casual consumer money, but they hurt the racing community as a whole.

Just the opinions of a racer/ race director. I understand the economic climate, but piracy of intellectual property is still vulgar imho.
Assumptions is the mother of all F ups.

You're just assuming Reedy didn't take up an OEM motor and put their batch on it. Sounds like the interchangable parts means its from same factory in China anyway
Old 12-19-2012, 06:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Cool

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest

90% of the products are knock offs or rebadged stuff..lipos esc motors & so on..
Old 12-20-2012, 07:04 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The only thing I would care about is if the 'trackstars' that are 'rockets' are in spec (wire gauge, resistance, ...). How does one know that the 'trackstars' aren't the ones that are out of spec from the 'reedy' line?
Old 12-20-2012, 08:28 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by zzztech
Assumptions is the mother of all F ups.

You're just assuming Reedy didn't take up an OEM motor and put their batch on it. Sounds like the interchangable parts means its from same factory in China anyway
Originally Posted by starrx
90% of the products are knock offs or rebadged stuff..lipos esc motors & so on..
Turnigy could submit the motors for approval, as they have done with their batteries. For some reason they haven't done this yet.

While it's true that most motors are OEM'd from Chinese manufacturers, some are designed by individuals elsewhere, prototyped, tested, then the design is sent to China to be manufactured. In many instances the factory will do runs of the exact product in a different color, then sell it under their brand name.

Cloned products are great for the end consumer short term, but bad for the hobby in the long run. As more and more direct sale counterfeit products enter the market, it begins to take it's toll on Hobbystores/Tracks, and the companies that do the actual innovation.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:11 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default TRINITY D3.5 MAXZILLA 17.5

THERE'S JUST NOTHING MORE LEFT TO SAY ABOUT THIS AWESOME MOTOR OTHER THAN TO GET ONE AND HAVE THE RACERS EDGE IN A VERY POWER ORIENTATED SPORT..TEAM TRINITY HAS COME TOGETHER TO BRING YOU THE BEST DONT BE LEFT IN THE WIND ORDER YOURS TODAY...THE TORQUE IS UNQUESTIONABLY THE MOST POWERFUL ON THE MARKET ....TEAM TRINITY P.J
Old 02-11-2013, 09:09 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by pierre johnson
THERE'S JUST NOTHING MORE LEFT TO SAY ABOUT THIS AWESOME MOTOR OTHER THAN TO GET ONE AND HAVE THE RACERS EDGE IN A VERY POWER ORIENTATED SPORT..TEAM TRINITY HAS COME TOGETHER TO BRING YOU THE BEST DONT BE LEFT IN THE WIND ORDER YOURS TODAY...THE TORQUE IS UNQUESTIONABLY THE MOST POWERFUL ON THE MARKET ....TEAM TRINITY P.J
I heard the Caps Lock key being stuck on makes it illegal for ROAR racing...
Old 02-11-2013, 09:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by daleburr
I heard the Caps Lock key being stuck on makes it illegal for ROAR racing...
+1
Old 02-11-2013, 09:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by pierre johnson
I WOULD BUT IMMA WAIT UNTIL ALL THIS GET CLEARD UP BY ROAR..IM THE MEAN TIME IMMA RUN MY REV-TECH
Old 02-11-2013, 09:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Meantime get the new legal Novak 12.5mm H/T rotor in your legal ballistic motor, and a ULR stator in non Roar events !!!
Old 02-11-2013, 09:51 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
Meantime get the new legal Novak 12.5mm H/T rotor in your legal ballistic motor, and a ULR stator in non Roar events !!!
So you are suggesting people should cheat. Classy

I have never liked Novak, but I dislike them even more since they intentionally made the cheater stators you are referring to. At least Trinity tried to make a motor within spec and it did pass before they changed measuring equipment. Novak just straight up made cheater stators for "spec" classes. Pathetic.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

And this one is done.