R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-07-2012, 04:45 PM   #16
Tech Champion
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by valk View Post
3 hours to set up a cnc is retarded.
I said 1-3 hours. If you have to think up a fixture, draw it, select tools and tool paths, check the program (I used GibbsCAM), put tools into tool holders, set zeros, make and install the fixture, set zeros for the fixture, load the production tools and set their zeros I think 1-3 hours is a good range.
Adrian Martinez
What I run: Schumacher Mi5/Associated RC10R5.1/Associated RC12R5.2/Futaba/HobbyWing/Team EA Motorsports/BSR Racing
Where I run: Florida Indoor R/C Complex/Thunder Racing/Florida On Road State Series
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #17
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

so about 1k to set a machine up to do one bumper peice then?

try emachine shop. the cad is quite good and simple, and it will highlight any possible machine issues before you ask for the quote. my only turnoff was the cost of shipping, but i live in canada.
was my first cad experience and quite good.

im not any better than you though. ive made a couple chassis plates and small bits on our cnc at work but that is mostly just 2d. all i have to do is specify a tool from our Carousel and if its a different tool, i just use a predefined path "inside,outside or toolcenter really..." and make sure the tool diameter is set on the machines offset menu.
then all i need is the lineart from a dxf. I use solidworks for the most part but can be confusing to export the right dxf view into something i can use.
no fixture needed as we have a 5'x12' vacuum table bwa ha.
if you think your part is viable, try to get one made, then just copy it with smoothon or other casting resins.
i might make an entire chassis this way =)
My stuff
Sanwa M12 - Xray T4/16 - Xray Nt1/16 - CRC XTI-WC - ProAMPS - Hobbywing - ReVTECH - ORCA
www.irocc.ca - www.wcics.ca - www.vrcworld.com
valk is offline   Reply With Quote