R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-06-2012, 05:17 AM   #1
Tech Rookie
Exclamation HPI WR8 Flux Vapor Pro ESC Issue

I have purchased 2 WR8 last month and been running those for 12 packs of batteries each or so mostly 2S 5.800mah, 40C/80C discharge and once a 3S 6.400mah 40C/80C discharge.

Yesterday when I was on the track one of my cars started to act weird, like coughing when I was starting to accelerate. So I decided to take the body out to take a closer look and did not see anything unusual. So putted the body back on and decided to continue running the car, it accelerated and then the motor became unresponsive right away.

Again I took out the body and started looking at the ESC led lights, and everything was working as intended - yellow light on iddle, green on acceleration and red on brake/reverse - but the motor wasn't moving at all.

So I decided to wire my motor that wasn't turning on the ESC of the second car that was running fine, and the motor turned without any issues. Doing the opposite, wiring the ESC of the first car on the motor of the second car wouldn't turn the motor.

With that in mind I came to the conclusion that the ESC had failed, picked up the manual and tried to do a initial setup configuration of the ESC. The LED lights are all responsive to all possible programming options (Auto Lipo, etc) but wouldn't move the engine.

I've made a video, here's the link:

Are there any chances that my ESC is not damaged ?!
danidanidani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:32 AM   #2
Tech Rookie

I had the same problem. It was working the day before, then suddenly the next day only the lights in the ESC is working. There is no sign of motor running. The usual beeping sounds also disappear.
philsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:42 AM   #3
Tech Rookie

I've sent it to HPI and they replaced without any charges.

It happened a second time with a different ESC (not the one that was replaced tho) and I've sent again to HPI, and currently waiting for it's return.

Other than that, the car is great !!!
danidanidani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:39 PM   #4
Tech Rookie
Default Hpi vapor esc

I have already had one replaced and now that has failed. With the same issue. Not sent it back yet completely lost all faith in hpi. Poor esc and manufactured cars. RTR ready to repair. Havering bought a sprin 2 flux spent most of the time sorting out stiring and instabilty issues.And don't get me started on the rear belt after striping center cog rear diff and shed loads of belts.
Dezmond 2-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:27 PM   #5
Trader Rating: 8 (83%+)

I haven't had any trouble with my wr8 esc yet, but i hear ya about the sprint and losing faith in HPI. My sprint 2 flux esc just went up in smoke on day 1. Belts fray every day... sucks.
Associated RC8be 1/8 Buggy
Team Durango 2wd Mod.
HPI Wr8 Flux Rally
Sprint 2 Flux
jproffitt is offline   Reply With Quote

esc, flux, hpi, problem, vapor