Community
Wiki Posts
Search

It's been 10 years since i bought a touring car, need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 11:58 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

My Sakura XI DH has been great. Its come alive recently, I seem to have gotten the car dialled. No issues with reliability either, I run the Xray front bumper and since that have had very minimal broken parts.

At the end of the day though, track time with whatever car you have is going to find you seconds as opposed to the 10ths you'll pick up from a top tier TC chassis. Take your time to figure out whats the best for you in terms of parts supply and setup help.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:17 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I edited my first post. Went racing with my modified HPI Sprint 2, you can see it here

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...r-chassis.html

I am debating over the Yokomo BD-7 and Xray T4, parts availability and setup are not an issue in this modern age. How hard is the BD-7 to setup? (note: i will ask in the BD-7 thread too)
Old 12-24-2012, 11:23 AM
Suspended

Welcome back man.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

I've been running TC the last two winters when we don't run offroad. I've owned a TC6, VBC Wildfire, Sakura Zero S, Xray t3 2012. The Sakura has been strictly for VTA.

TC6 - a very good car for the price. Just as capable as ANY car anywhere. The plastics can be a little sloppy but nothing thats going to change the outcome of a race. Parts support is everywhere. Setup help is plentiful. And there is a ton of great aftermarket support. Most if not all the screws do not sit flush with the bottom of the chassis. All the holes need to be countersunk deeper.

VBC - this car is pretty nice. A lot of nice features to this car. This car has a ton of steering. That's been my biggest issue so far with it, is trying to get rid of steering. Locally I'm the only one with this car. So setup has been more difficult. I've got a good local tuner that's been helping me out lately so the car has gotten way better. It is not as durable as the tc6 or xray. Not in its stock form. I'd say the fit and finish is marginally better than the tc6. Screws are properly counter sunk in the chassis. The screws seem a little soft though.

Sakura Zero S - uhhh this is a $109 TC. So don't expect anything more. The stock shocks are garbage. Everything is extremely soft plastic. The screws are undersized and very inconsistent. Some will thread into aluminum fine and others wont. I replaced the shocks before I even ran the car because 3 would not hold oil for more than a few hours. The diffs deform and bind up. The motor mount is nearly impossible to mount a motor with stock gearing. After a lot of extra parts the car is running okay at best. The car is starting to bind up pretty bad though. I have not had a chance to go through it yet to find the cause though. Going to try and do that tonight. (edit: I did find the binding tonight and it was of my own doing, now the car is free and smooth)

XRAY T3 2012 - I've only ran this car one weekend so far. But I pulled off my personal best with it the first weekend. But to be fair, I bought the car from a sponsored Xray driver who does quite well at national events. This was his car last year and was setup before I even put my electronics in it. On top of that he was helping me all weekend get it dialed in for me. All that being said the car is very durable and well built.The chassis is countersunk properly out of the box and everything works smoothly. The car came with the thin chassis and upper deck so it has a ton of traction. Also has a lot of other extras. So it's not an out of the box car at all.

I plan on running the Xray for the rest of our onroad season in TC. I am going to put the VBC together as my VTA to try it out in that class and see how it goes.

I wouldn't recommend the Sakura. Not for a newbie. I think a person would just get tired of fixing issues with the car. A TC6 would be a great first car or even one for a very serious racer who doesn't want to spend a ton of money. The VBC is for the experienced tuner who wants to try something different imho. And the XRAY if you don't mind the cost and want a great quality car right out of the box. With the right driver/tuner they can all be put on the podium.

Last edited by Odin544; 12-24-2012 at 11:58 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Of the cars I've owned the bd7 was my favorite, but I would NEVER start with it. It's just not forgiving for a new driver. An x ray would be a better bet. I would pick up a used x ray, wear it out and then revisit this question.