Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 02:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

have you tried HPI X-Patterns?
Old 03-20-2010, 04:48 AM
Tech Apprentice

Right now Im using foam 42 shore.......which did ok with the stock gearing.....But when I went from a 22 pinion to a 35 pinion I picked up some speed and now I have less traction.......I have tryed x-patterns on a nitro tc3 and they did ok but this track has a dust problem.......Just looking for a little more grip......I need any advantage I can get because I will be running against a tc5 and an xray soon.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:59 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Front Drives

Hello there,
New to the forum and new to the TA-05. Can some one please give me a simpletons explanation of the use and benefits of the different front drives (ie. Direct drive, one-way, ball diff). Much appreciated.
Cheers
Old 03-21-2010, 01:24 AM
PDR
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by strong
Right now Im using foam 42 shore.......which did ok with the stock gearing.....But when I went from a 22 pinion to a 35 pinion I picked up some speed and now I have less traction.......I have tryed x-patterns on a nitro tc3 and they did ok but this track has a dust problem.......Just looking for a little more grip......I need any advantage I can get because I will be running against a tc5 and an xray soon.
Simplest thing to do is find out what the other guys you'll be racing against are running. At least you won't be disadvantaged on that front. I can't imagine foams working well on any dusty track, but will depend on the surface and temperature as well.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:17 AM
Tech Apprentice

I just purchased a TA05 locally and Im just wondering if you can buy tires and rims that already come mounted so I dont have to glue them. When I did this last time to my TC5 for VTA they looked horrible. Im racing in a TCS and they need to be the stock tires and rims. Or does anyone have some for sale. Looking for black
Old 03-21-2010, 11:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

G Anders,
I would post something on the Tamiya Championship Series thread for Tamiya tires.
Dave
Old 03-21-2010, 07:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the info guys.......We power wash the track and my car now grips just as good as the nitro guys.....Not as fast yet but my traction is just as good if not better......Nice car......But now how can you tell if the diffs are slipping.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:44 PM
PDR
Tech Elite

Thanks for the info guys.......We power wash the track and my car now grips just as good as the nitro guys.....Not as fast yet but my traction is just as good if not better......Nice car......But now how can you tell if the diffs are slipping.
Pick the car up in one hand and hold one wheel in the palm of your hand. With the same hand, reach over with your thumb and hold the pulley. Now, with your other hand, try to turn the wheel on the other side of the car. If it slips easily, then the diff is too loose. Generally, you will always be able to make it slip, but the amount of force required is something you'll get a feel for.

There's some good tips for building a diff here. Although it's for a 416, the principles apply to pretty much any ball diff. Also search for the Jilles Groskamp videos on YouTube.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

When I hold one wheel and the spur and turn the other wheel it will slip but not really easy......I must use some force.....Not a lot but some......Problem is when I give full throttle when starting I here a noise like the tires or spinning or something is slipping......My belts are loose but I know they are not slipping cause I put marks on them so I can see if they move........Just want to make sure every thing is ok so I dont have to start buying part and waiting two weeks for them to come.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:38 AM
knd
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Fat Corgi
Hello there,
New to the forum and new to the TA-05. Can some one please give me a simpletons explanation of the use and benefits of the different front drives (ie. Direct drive, one-way, ball diff). Much appreciated.
Cheers
take a look here

rctek.com/technical/differentials/index.php
Old 03-23-2010, 01:41 PM
PDR
Tech Elite

When I hold one wheel and the spur and turn the other wheel it will slip but not really easy......I must use some force.....Not a lot but some......Problem is when I give full throttle when starting I here a noise like the tires or spinning or something is slipping......My belts are loose but I know they are not slipping cause I put marks on them so I can see if they move........Just want to make sure every thing is ok so I dont have to start buying part and waiting two weeks for them to come.
Just check everything in the drive line, from the pinion through to the tires. Make sure the pinion is on tight and meshed well with the spur. I'm assuming you've checked both diffs, then check the drive shafts, even the wheel hexes can slip (where the pin goes as well as the outer hex against the rim) and finally make sure the tires are glued to the rims properly. If all that looks ok, then you're probably spinning the tires It actually doesn't take that much force to spin your wheels, particularly on a lower grip surface.

Last edited by PDR; 03-23-2010 at 10:03 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

Great information.........Guess thats why I like RC forums so much
Old 04-07-2010, 03:36 AM
Tech Initiate

Hi guy's, im looking into buying a graphite chassis conversion kit for my standard ta05. Has any body tried the graphite chassis conversion version 3 from 3 racing? If so does all bulk heads, arms, shock towers, hubs, steering arms ect, do they all just swap over and fit the graphite chassis? Here is the kit http://os.3racing.hk/products.php?products_key=3722

In put would be much appreciated

Last edited by Blue_VB_SL253; 04-07-2010 at 03:56 AM.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fat Corgi
Hello there,
Cheers
Here are two excellent documents describing every aspect of TC setup. The information found is useful to every racer (novice to pro).

- The first one provides definitions/explanations for the terms used http://richardchang.com/hobby/rctips_tc_summary.pdf

- The next document was developed for the Xray T2, but applies to almost every TC currently available (XRAY T2 Set-up Book). You must download and unzip this document. Save the file as you will use this one for a long time. http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/new...wnload%20Files
Old 04-09-2010, 07:12 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hi everyone,

Just wondering what is the hardness(?) rating of the standard tyres that come with the TA05? I run 540 and at my local track tonight was getting absolutely no backend traction, was sliding all over the shop!

Some guys run Sorex 36's and they seem to have better grip than me, although they do have the same problems but not as severe as mine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.