Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree68Likes

Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 11:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

I run my TA05 near stock. I love the car, I don't worry... it's fast. The only things that I've changed were the shocks, 64 pitch gears, and universals. Honestly, I think that's all that it needs (opps, heatsink too). I would even run the plastic shocks, if I didn't already have aluminum ones from other Tamiyas that I own. I hardly do any 'Bench Racing' (which blocks, too much weight, need this, need that). The only way to beat a faster car is to be the better driver
The rule that I follow is: It's all about the setup... tires, shock angle, shock oil, springs, and droop, that's it.

Mark.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:02 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

the TA04 is over 100grams lighter than the TB-02/TA05... BUT GP3700s and IB3800s will not fit without modification to the chassis.

for GT2 and GT3..thats a big no-no unless your race director allows it. at TCS Nationals no chassis lightening or modifications is allowed for the GT2 class

DG... RELAX your car is almost ready
Old 09-23-2005, 12:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Yeah, batts aren't a problem since we all had to use the blue Peak PowerMaxx 2400 packs for GT2 and Mini classes.. keeps things relatively even up here in the north.. heh..
Old 09-23-2005, 01:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default TA05 Graphite Chassis Conversion Kit

TA05 Graphite Chassis Conversion Kit (teaser shots)

Steve Wang
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
TA05 Chassis Conv..pdf (65.3 KB, 304 views)
Old 09-23-2005, 01:19 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Markus
I run my TA05 near stock. I love the car, I don't worry... it's fast. The only things that I've changed were the shocks, 64 pitch gears, and universals. Honestly, I think that's all that it needs (opps, heatsink too). . . .
Mark.
The aluminum hubs (wheel drive nuts) are more important than the 64 pitch gears, especially if you are on asphalt. I was about to take my car out for the first time last week and I powered up the motor on my table and could not believe how much wobble the wheels had. So I went out and bought some aluminum hubs. The 64 pitch gears are really overrated in general unless you are in the A-Main, and when you are outdoors, with grit kicked up by your front tires, you really can have a damaged gear occasionally.

Originally Posted by Markus
I would even run the plastic shocks, if I didn't already have aluminum ones from other Tamiyas that I own. . . .
Mark.
I remember talking to guys years ago who ran with Tamiya plastic shocks for off-road races. They had no real problem with them. In theory, the plastic can wear out faster, but I never did see absolute proof of that. The track closed down well before I could get real stats. :-) I have pretty much always had aluminum shocks for consistency, but even shock consistency is actually pretty hard to prove.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

the function over form is an interesting conversation.

my 05 with the square lower bulkheads, see attached. should provide a solid base for converting this car into a mod car. now, if i could only get one of those graphite chassis
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan-md05frnt.jpg   Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan-md05r.jpg  
Old 09-23-2005, 01:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SpeedTech
TA05 Graphite Chassis Conversion Kit (teaser shots)

Steve Wang
sweet. ill take 2!
Old 09-23-2005, 02:00 PM
Tech Champion

Maybe in .jpg format will be easier to view

Steve Wang
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan-speedtechta05.jpg  
Old 09-23-2005, 02:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

OK Steve, enough of the tease, so when you going to get them ?
Old 09-23-2005, 02:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MobileIT
Like I said, it does not sound like a diff problem. The roll resistance might be a number of things. Did you use the ball bearings without changing the grease? The grease in the standard bearings is very thick and will slow the car down. Some guys clean out the original grease and put in thin lube. I am too lazy, but that's my choice. Also, you
could drop down to 64 pitch gears if you are using the supplied 48 pitch. Then there are the "aramid" belts. These are specifically meant to reduce roll resistance. After that, you can look at the difference between the motors. A newer motor will probably have stronger magnets, which also slows a car down more rapidly (even without braking). And then there is the possibility of electrical leakage in neutral. Also, there is the differences in setup (camber and toe-in/toe-out, and tire choice) can add roll resistance. Also see if your wheels wobble. That is all I can think of right now.
yerite MobileIT, I think its the motor, I was using or testing my new teflon sealed bearings on my TA05 using a Monster stock motor , first I thought twas something to do with the bearings cuz the car just wants to roll and really liked it that way but motor was weak that I had to change it to a Binary stock motor and there it was again , the car was not rolling like it was when it has the latter, tnx man I'll be trying different motors. BTW I'm using 64 pitch. brakes are set not to stop the car but just to avoid collisions, and BB's are degreased and oiled lightly.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:57 PM
Tech Rookie

Steve Wang
Hi Steve, when will release CF chassis?
Old 09-23-2005, 03:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Steve Wang
That topdeck, will it be from gearbox to gearbox or shorter than that.....??? need to know if I need to save my pennies....
Old 09-23-2005, 04:15 PM
Tech Initiate

Angry

I have been assembling my car over the last few days and have struck a small problem. The right tie rod turnbuckle rubs against the rear stiffener and stops the steering from turning left.

There is very little space between the front gearbox and the steering arm. Is this normal. I appologise that the pictures are not very clear. I will try and borrow a better camera if it will make things easier to see.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Brett
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan-ta05-steering-problem-stiffener.jpg   Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan-ta05-steering-problem-without-stiffener.jpg  
Old 09-23-2005, 04:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

"I have been assembling my car over the last few days and have struck a small problem. The right tie rod turnbuckle rubs against the rear stiffener and stops the steering from turning left."

Flip over the steering bell-crank.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:21 PM
Tech Champion

On the TA05 Graphite Chassis Conversion Kit:

Available: End of October
Price: Right around $100 USD

Also coming soon for TA05: Upper bulkhead/shock tower mount, CNC machined aluminum motor mount, hard material light weight suspension parts

Steve Wang

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.