Search
Like Tree68Likes

Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 12:56 AM
mok
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

i personally wouldnt be using CA to lock the arms in place on the hinge pins..
well, not unless you knew for sure you never wanted to change wheelbase settings on the car!

IMHO it would be preferrable to run CA through the holes in an effort to make them a little smaller..
but if you did feel the need to use some form of adhesive, try semi-permanent threadlock first because it will be much easier to move/remove the hinge pins

it might pay to have a think about what would be easiest to deal with at a race meet when/if you have to change a lower arn etc

-Mark
Old 12-30-2008, 01:01 AM
mok
Tech Master

Originally Posted by stocker
How about increasing the front droop a little more?
+ 1 to that...

also, what does it do when you punch the throttle in a straight line from a standing start?
does the rear tend to step out sideways then too?
i ask because its also possible you have the rear diff set too tight..
Old 12-30-2008, 06:27 AM
Tech Elite

fyi - miscellaneous black 'ifs' diff parts for sale: (all new in package)

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...ml#post5225709

and the black shock set:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...6-etc-nip.html
Old 12-30-2008, 07:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HI_808
Tamiya sells a shim set that can be used for reducing the slop. It's kind of pricey but it'll save you the trouble of looking elsewhere.
Yes but those shims only help front to rear slop -- not the slop where the hinge pin isn't snug in the holes of the suspension arms.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:25 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by mok
i personally wouldnt be using CA to lock the arms in place on the hinge pins..
well, not unless you knew for sure you never wanted to change wheelbase settings on the car!

IMHO it would be preferrable to run CA through the holes in an effort to make them a little smaller..
but if you did feel the need to use some form of adhesive, try semi-permanent threadlock first because it will be much easier to move/remove the hinge pins

it might pay to have a think about what would be easiest to deal with at a race meet when/if you have to change a lower arn etc

-Mark
Thanks -- I'll try putting a drop of CA inside of the holes in the suspension arms to reduce the size of the holes a bit until it feels snug when I slide the pins in. I think that will do the trick.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:38 AM
Tech Master

yeah I meant to drop ca into the space between the pin and the hole. It will dry quickly, but the CA will not stay on the pins. Once dried, grab the middle part of the pin with pliers and move the arm to break the CA from pin. play with it for a while, and then you should have a tight seal but still moveable.

My rear diff is super smooth and it goes in a straight line on normal acceleration. gonna try the front droop and give it little more rear weight bias.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by TeamGoodwrench
Ok guys --

What's the secret to getting rid of the suspension arm slop ??

I've got a TA05-R with the LW suspension. There is quite a bit of slop between the suspension arm and the inner hinge pins (i.e. the holes where the hinge pin goes through seems oversize).

So... thinking I had a bad set of arms, I ordered up another set, along with a new set of hinge pins (this time the titanium coated ones). Same thing ! suspension arms are sloppy on the hinge pins.

So what's the trick ?

Thx.
You can shim them with nylon or brass motor shims accordingly. I also found some nylon spacers at my local hardware store that work well too. No slop now and moves freely.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:33 PM
Tech Rookie

i think im going to try and remove some slop from my 05 too it works into haveing too much vibration passing though the chassie from the wheels so that might be a good idea.

quick question if it feels like my car pushes a little though the turns and the back and front of the car feel a little loose to the track increaseing the - camber a little bit will help in cornering right? its all set to -1 degrees camber and going a little more will help right?
thanks
Old 12-31-2008, 01:53 AM
Tech Champion

Any Tamiya car seem to inherit some slop quite quickly from new, I can't say its been critical enough to feel any difference though.

Also, sometimes a bit of excess movement inbetween parts can help absorb a bit of board tapping if you get a little too intimate with them.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:18 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by TeamGoodwrench
Yes but those shims only help front to rear slop -- not the slop where the hinge pin isn't snug in the holes of the suspension arms.
Sorry, I didn't read your original post well.

In that case, I can tell you that the short arms that I got are tighter than the original LW arms.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:08 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by redbones
yeah I meant to drop ca into the space between the pin and the hole. It will dry quickly, but the CA will not stay on the pins. Once dried, grab the middle part of the pin with pliers and move the arm to break the CA from pin. play with it for a while, and then you should have a tight seal but still moveable.

My rear diff is super smooth and it goes in a straight line on normal acceleration. gonna try the front droop and give it little more rear weight bias.

I tried it last night -- worked like a charm. I put a very small drop of Zap CA+ between the hinge pin and arm hole and let it dry. Then I used my Integy shock pliers (so as not to scratch the hinge pin) to break the hinge pin loose and slide it out. Now it is nice and snug -- no slop !!

Thx !
Old 01-01-2009, 01:19 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by tc3team
Any Tamiya car seem to inherit some slop quite quickly from new, I can't say its been critical enough to feel any difference though.

Also, sometimes a bit of excess movement inbetween parts can help absorb a bit of board tapping if you get a little too intimate with them.
so u mean haveing a little slop is a good thing to absorb normal vibrations and help keep it from transfering to wheels? confused what u mean?
Old 01-01-2009, 08:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Is there anything besides the suspension that the TA 05R and the 415 share?
Old 01-02-2009, 09:20 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by brownstone101
so u mean haveing a little slop is a good thing to absorb normal vibrations and help keep it from transfering to wheels? confused what u mean?
In a different reason, you need some slop on the inner hinge pins on the suspension arms. If you shim them to perfection, I found that they will bind in an event of a crash or even just a rub. Reason being that the suspension blocks may shift ever so slightly that it may apply pressure on the inner hinge. That's why I give the arms a little play (~.5mm) to compensate for that. If your car acts funny after a crash, take the shocks off and check the lower arms. They should just fall down with no effort at all. Better to have a little slop and get a free moving suspension than a binding one.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:15 PM
Tech Rookie

o ok gotcha makes sence.

front diff came lose today while practiceing threadlock should fix that problem correct??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.