Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree68Likes

Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 07:15 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

you guys should try racing off road i just switched from onroad off road is soo much more fun.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Hi guys!

Sorry to interrupt.

Was reading up on the bearings that you guys posted, wanted to see if there's any feedbacks on the new IFS R. My friend's been trying to tempt me into buying one, which he has been racing with my Xray (being such an expensive car).

What I do to most of my cars is to take the whole bunch of bearings, remove the shields on both sides of the bearings, pour some ZIPPO Lighter Fluid (or some other brands of Lighter Fluid, as long as it's the clear, translucent one) into a small container, put a few (4 pieces max) into the container of lighter fluid, and shake. Best is if there is a can to close the container to prevent from spillage. Takes about 2 minutes.

Remove each single piece to check if the "factory grease" has been "degreased" from the bearings. If not, repeat the process again.

When all's done, lube it with Royal Oil or something light.

Do it to all the bearings you get in the kit, both rubber shielded or metal shielded. You can also do the same to the existing bearings which are already a few months/races old.
Alfie
Old 06-06-2008, 01:27 AM
Tech Champion

I have the regular ta05, (which only has metal shielded bearings and bushes on the steering) but with a 3racing chassis.

I degrease the bearings by soaking them in brake cleaner, spin them dry then relube with a drop of oil in each bearing. Be sure not to clamp up the bearings too tight or they could bind, wear quicker and cause drag.

Trying to keep the dirt out of the bearings is near on impossible as they are a little exposed, so in time the oil will turn black.

Other methods probably work just as well, maybe better

To be honest, keeping a good consistant laptime and keeping your motor and cells in good condition will probably give more benefit than re-oiling your bearings with a lighter oil but if you can do all 3 then even better
Old 06-06-2008, 01:31 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Wicked-Wayz
What speed control works best inside the tao5-r. I am running the original chassis. I have heard the xbr is really tight and cannot sit down all the way. Also heard the gtb can fit ok depending on which way you face it. What about the lrp and is everyone else finding the same results.

Peace Aaron(W-W)
Take a look at the Tekin RS, it has a small footprint which is very useful for a chassis like the ta05 varients where space is at a premium
Old 06-06-2008, 01:58 AM
Tech Master

brake cleaner overnight gets the job done. After drying, check each bearing. Sometimes, the grease is tough, and you have to take apart the shield to get rid of it. After, put like a 0wt motor oil.

Upon building, make sure that the bearing spins freely, especially on the axels. Sometimes, the plastic is tight, and may apply too much pressure on the bearing, causing it to bind. I experienced this on my 416, and the IFS-R.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hey i've tried to remove the shield ont he bearing but everytime the get ruinned. so I just take them off and then make sure I clean them very often and oil them even more. If some one has a trick on how to remove the shield so they won't tear or come off in one pc so they cam be replaced. that would be great.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:06 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by cyrrus
Hey i've tried to remove the shield ont he bearing but everytime the get ruinned. so I just take them off and then make sure I clean them very often and oil them even more. If some one has a trick on how to remove the shield so they won't tear or come off in one pc so they cam be replaced. that would be great.
This is uber tricky, verging on impossible. I have found the best compromise is to only take one shield off and the unshielded side is faced inwards, hth
Old 06-06-2008, 06:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default dimensions.

would someone be kind enough to pop a diff out and measure the shoulders (outside to outside) that the bearings rest on? my guess is around 18mm??
Old 06-06-2008, 06:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sportsracer-5
I have a Novak GTS in my TA05 (not an R), it fits fine. But I'm looking for something else, something with a built-in LiPo cutoff. The Novak Smart Stop I have right now makes for a very messy set-up.
I run brushless only so a GTS is not an option.

Originally Posted by AreCee
Novak GTB just barely fits (wires facing the motor). Speed Passion is a hair too long as are the Castle's. LRP fits well. The best fitting and the best ESC is the Tekin.
Well I guess it will be snug then getting a GTB.

Originally Posted by tc3team
Take a look at the Tekin RS, it has a small footprint which is very useful for a chassis like the ta05 varients where space is at a premium
I have seen then in a couple cars by me. I am a huge novak fan and would prefer to run theirs.

Peace Aaron(W-W)
Old 06-06-2008, 11:03 AM
Tech Master

This bearing shield that I am talking about are metal ones. The rubber or the fiber cover shields are prone to breakage if you are not careful.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:56 PM
Tech Regular

Default Rear belt

Has anyone had problems with the rear belt being excessively loose useing the stock setting, as compared to the front belt? At 2 notches the rear belt seems awefully loose.

I know that I can, and have adjusted the rear belt tension, however it seems like that is not the answer for belt that has not ever been used?

Thoughts?

Last edited by majicman; 06-07-2008 at 09:57 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-08-2008, 09:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 94eg!
People were using those DB01/501X diff rings on their 415's for the "16-ball rear diff" mod. They should work just fine with your standard TA05 out-drives (which are probably the same as IFS-R). Just keep in mind the large diff rings are not keyed like the standard rings. This means that if your out-drives are plastic, it will be necessary to rubber cement the rings in place. If you have aluminum hop-up out-drives, rubber cement isn't necessary...
Cheers
Also for those that are interested ive changed the diff pulleys to 35T (old 415 style) and the centers to 18T and it works fine with the standard belts and gives you a internal ratio of 1.94.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:58 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by majicman
Has anyone had problems with the rear belt being excessively loose useing the stock setting, as compared to the front belt? At 2 notches the rear belt seems awefully loose.

I know that I can, and have adjusted the rear belt tension, however it seems like that is not the answer for belt that has not ever been used?

Thoughts?
How tight they should be is very subjective. My guiding principle has become as loose as possible so long as they do not slip, others might not agree.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:38 AM
Tech Champion

Belts....

used my 05 for a year or so in stock and 19t, mostly with a spool and I set the front belt looser than the rear.

Reason for this being the spool has a lot of on power loading to the belt, which in turn stretches it. If you want a car with that punchy feel out of it, use a shaft driven car, im a firm beliver in belt driven cars giving a smoother feel...

just imho though and how i've used the car I have only had to adjust the belts once and used the same stock ones that came with the kit
Old 06-09-2008, 07:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by majicman
Has anyone had problems with the rear belt being excessively loose useing the stock setting, as compared to the front belt...
No two belts are exactly the same This is quite normal. In fact one of our included durga belts had a bit of a twist in one...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.