Search
Like Tree68Likes

Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 10:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AreCee
Of course those TC4 screws go in easier because their diameter is smaller. They're 2.8mm whereas the TA05 screws are 3mm. Can we say strip the hole and pull out. Loctite would only help where metal screws screw into metal holes. Loctite may even cause some plastic to crack and fall apart (from experience with a Tamiya M02 chassis and an alloy servo post, the chassis split during a race all because some loctite oozed out of the screw hole on the servo post corupting the chassis plastic).

Want to save weight? Use a smaller servo, Rx, lighter wheels, alloy turnbuckles, plastic outdrives, alloy axles. However you'll find that the plastic parts weigh less than alloy parts. Use alloy screws only in low strss areas or else they will strip or break.
Well i dont have calipers to measure the diameter so i had to ask. I have the R so i have alloy turnbuckles, plastic outdrives, alloy axles.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Also i would like to loose 100grams of weight. What would be my best bet? Im planning on getting a graphite battery strap and maybe a graphite bumper brace. Im thinking some alloy screws to loose some weight? I have some screws from a TC4 (i think) and they seem to be a bit thinner than the stock TA05 ones but they are also a bit longer and they screw in alot easier. Would it be ok to use these? Should i just place a bit of locite on them?
Lipo battery will instantly shave at least 100g off your weight. with Ni-Mhs my car was a hefty 1584g, but after the swap from Ni-Mh to Lipo I went down to a comfy 1392g (i did swap a few components to CF such as shock towers and factory lightened chassis). however because my club has weight minimums, i had to add weights to my Lipo to bring it up to 1425g. but if you can afford it, go for Lipo. it will no only shave 100g instantly, but also give you triple the run time with unbeatable punch throughout the whole pack.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Na i cant run Lipo's at my club as they aren't legal and i dont really want to change to them. I will just leave the car as it is for now as it goes great and then later on start to buy lighter parts.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:17 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (83%+)

heres my winter project
got a 2nd hand ta05r off ebay for 110 bucks
cassis wasnt in best of condition and had a few stripped screws

stipped off what i wont be needing (80% of car lol)

parts list
3racing cf chassis
3racing alum bulkhead x2
Kawada GRP Steering Plate
tamiya Front Direct Coupling
Tech Racing Rear Damper Stay
Tech Racing Front Damper Stay
Tech Racing High Gear Drive Unit
Square Titanium & Blue Screw Set
Tamiya Aluimnum Knuckle
Tech Racing Slipper Diff Housing
Tamiya Aluimnum Front C Hub
Tamiya Aluminum Stabilizer Holder x2
Tamiya Aluminum Racing Steering Set
Squat Ceramic Ball Bearing Set

thats it for now
purchasing shall start after christmas when bills and gifts are all bought and paid for
Old 12-10-2007, 07:12 AM
Tech Initiate

Hi, need some advise. I am in the midst of assemblying the TA-05. If i wanna use a 7T motor, is it neccessary to modify the chassis? It comes with a 22T pinion gear. Will it work well with a 19T motor(if not, what pinion gear should i be getting)? Ideally, the 22T pinion is suitable for up to ??t motor? I have seen the Venom Fireball & Yokomo motor. What do you think of it? I would like to hear any one out there who uses LRP or Nosram ESC. Tell me their pros & cons. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Use a final drive ratio (FDR) suitable for the motor you want to use.

Usually a low turn motor uses a high FDR over 9:1.

A stock motor is good with a 6.5:1

You can use a 5:1 with a silvercan motor.

FDR=(spur/pinion)*trans ratio

The trans ratio in a TA05 is 2.25:1
Stock Spur is 70 and pinion is 22 so....

(70/22)*2.25=7.16:1
Old 12-10-2007, 08:26 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Have a question.

I am running foam tire on a TA05-R and I am having problems with the tires hitting the front knuckles. Is there a fix for this other than cutting the width down on the tires themselves?

Also, do they make aluminum knuckles and c-hubs for the lightweight suspension that is on the TA05-R?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:55 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Ozzie
Have a question.

I am running foam tire on a TA05-R and I am having problems with the tires hitting the front knuckles. Is there a fix for this other than cutting the width down on the tires themselves?

Also, do they make aluminum knuckles and c-hubs for the lightweight suspension that is on the TA05-R?

Thanks in advance for any help.
I have a ta05 and used foams, mine rubbed on the ballcups. I used a 2mm shim inbetween the hex and the wheel to space it out, if thats any help?
Old 12-10-2007, 09:14 AM
Tech Regular

Tried it, the tire is rubbing on the steering knuckle itself not the ball cups. Tried spacing it out but then I end up with just a small amount of the rim sitting on the wheel hex. Doesn't look like it would stand up to my type of driving. LOL

This is on the TA05-R which uses different suspension parts than the regular TA05.

Thanks for your help though.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:19 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

I strongly suggest going to the standard suspension to run foams. Not only will it break much much less, it also works better. Then clearence is not an issue at all. Otherwise you would need to use the carriers and front knuckles from the PRO4 to make foams fit the Lightweight suspension.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:41 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the info. That is what I was looking for.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default TA05R with Foams

Originally Posted by Core Creations
I strongly suggest going to the standard suspension to run foams. Not only will it break much much less, it also works better. Then clearence is not an issue at all. Otherwise you would need to use the carriers and front knuckles from the PRO4 to make foams fit the Lightweight suspension.
Hi all,

I'm contemplating getting a TA05R for use with foams on carpet at my local club and was thinking that I'd do just that. My questions are:

What parts would I need to convert to the standard suspension (is it just arms or arms and uprights or ??)

Do I need to do both front and back or are foams only an issue on the front?

Sorry if this is noob kinda question, but I am what I am

Thanks,
Mike
Old 12-10-2007, 10:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 107 (99%+)

what gearing are you guys running for brushless ( 13.5) in your TA05 ?

I run rubber tires....looking for a good FDR or spur /pinion combo...
Old 12-10-2007, 11:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hyper_Mike
Hi all,

I'm contemplating getting a TA05R for use with foams on carpet at my local club and was thinking that I'd do just that. My questions are:

What parts would I need to convert to the standard suspension (is it just arms or arms and uprights or ??)

Do I need to do both front and back or are foams only an issue on the front?

Sorry if this is noob kinda question, but I am what I am

Thanks,
Mike
Well head up...The TA05 tub chassis isn't design to run with foam tires..it will flex too much compare the double deck high end TC...
Old 12-10-2007, 11:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yea, the TA05, while a great car in most situations, really isn't where it's at for foam on carpet. If you're on a budget, try the TC5 from Associated. It's more $ for the kit--though after adapting the TA05 not much--and it's a very good foam tire car straight out of the box. Parts are cheap, too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.