Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan >

Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan

Like Tree68Likes

Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan

Old 11-15-2006, 01:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie
Is the reason you can't use one beacuse of the tight track or you don't like driving with one?
Our class rules prohibit one ways. We run rubber tire on carpet, the car is usually a little loose if your fast. I'm not sure if I would need one. The car rotates through the corner well as it is.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:43 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie
I have been thinking of getting a oneway. But for an 80X40 track is a oneway better or would a spool be better?

Sample track layout...

wow what a track if it was me running there i would have front one way and centre one way fair enough it would be in my 415 msx but should work in the 05 as the geomtry of the cars are about the same post a setup for this track it could be a easy fix for your car or at least some sujestion to improve it.

if you think this track is tight you should see some of the uks tight tracks
Old 11-15-2006, 02:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

is there any carbon fiber upper deck pieces for the ta05? i would like to keep the tub chassis.

one more thing...., are the 3 racing and tamiya products the shade of blue on their anodized hopups?

thanks!

Last edited by 2qwik; 11-15-2006 at 07:12 PM.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:06 PM
Tech Adept

What is a one-way and a spool? are they like the type of drivetrain? How do they differ?

Thanks Everyone.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stuey
wow what a track if it was me running there i would have front one way and centre one way fair enough it would be in my 415 msx but should work in the 05 as the geomtry of the cars are about the same post a setup for this track it could be a easy fix for your car or at least some sujestion to improve it.

if you think this track is tight you should see some of the uks tight tracks
That track seems tight and has sharp corners. Isn't a one way more advantageous for a bigger flowing track? Wont a spool be better?

I'm also thinking of which one to get since our track changed layout to this.

Any ideas? I'm thinking of installing a front one way to my tao5 and a spool to my cyclone to compare but no time yet to do it and no cash.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by flying G.E.O.
That track seems tight and has sharp corners. Isn't a one way more advantageous for a bigger flowing track? Wont a spool be better?
Yes and yes ...
Old 11-15-2006, 11:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by minijosh
C027 stock motor. LRP V7.1 esc. 4300 cells.
Try running a 23 tooth pinion (6.85 FDR). You probably won't lose much on the straight (maybe nothing at all) and you'll pick up a bunch of punch out of the corners. Keep going up (21, 22 tooth pinion, 7.1, 7.5 FDR) until you see you're losing speed on the straight to the other cars, then take it back up one tooth.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JayBee
Yes and yes ...
pls explain
Old 11-17-2006, 01:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I always thought that one-way is better for tight tracks because you get more corner speed. In contrast, spool is better for big flowing tracks because you get to use your brakes. Is this correct?
Old 11-17-2006, 01:38 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I believe those two things are reversed.

At least from what I was always made to believe. That the one-way was best for larger tracks because your rarely use the breaks. And that a spool was better for tight tracks because you need the breaks.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:46 PM
Tech Master

Exclamation Drivetrain delema?

That I believe is correct but there's a catch. As long as the track has good traction so you can stay on throttle in the corners then a one-way would be an advantage. But if traction is low I would tend to go with a ball diff or spool becaue if you have to get completely off the throttle when approaching the turn then you will loose too much speed and you will have to coast into the corner and that's where a spool or ball diff will help because you can go deeper into the corner and then swing the car around and then get right back on it!
If your just out there having fun then any of the three will work it just what your comfort level is at on the choice of diffs.
I forgot to mention a spool is very hard on the front universals in the corners because you create a binding situation of the drivetrain in the corners. parts just wear out faster!
I hope I was of some help!
Old 11-17-2006, 05:18 PM
Regional Moderator

Yes, with the oneway, traction does change all the rules. Our outdoor season had many tracks that would have been perfect for the oneway. The problem was that the traction was so low that it was impossible to take advantage of the oneway.

And as for the spool, even more than the universals, the outdrives suffer terrible wear with spool use. Even hardened alloy outdrives give up the ghost fairly quickly under the pounding of a spool. Thats why I've personally never cared for the spool, no matter how good it may make the car handle in certain situations. I just don't like the idea of purposely abusing parts of my drivetrain knowing I'll have to replace them on a regular basis.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:20 PM
Tech Master

Old 11-17-2006, 10:50 PM
AWK
Tech Master

Thanks for the help on what to get Big Rigg!!! Makes life a lot easier.

What suspension mounts are needed for the TA05? What blocks does everyone use on their cars/in their toolbox?

Also do all of the carbon reinforced chassis parts help the car much? I am running the car on high to medium grip asphalt at the Tamiya track.

Does anyone know the part numbers for the aluminum uprights? Do they add much weight, or are they worth it the weight?

FINALLY, does the direct centery pulley from the 415MSX work on the TA05?(Tamiya #53708)

Last edited by AWK; 11-18-2006 at 12:01 AM.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:57 PM
Tech Adept

The carbon reinforced parts are stiffer then the stadard ones and you save a bit of weight. If your running on carpet the carbon chassis will help because of the less flex

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.