Search
Like Tree68Likes

Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 08:58 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ittjv
I would go with the Tamiya servo saver or a horn. The kimbrough servo savers (medium size) are shorter than the tamiya ones so they tend to hit the chassis and the steering link hits when it comes back across it. I've tried using the kimbrough medium size in every orientation possible and it just wouldn't work right.
I've used the kimbrough medium servo saver since I got my TA05 and have had no problems with it. I'm using a KO Propo servo and the servo saver doesn't get close to hitting anything at any point in the steering throw. Its exactly the same height as Tamiya's servo saver.

I use a center hole at the highest hole point on the servo saver and everything works perfect.

I haven't shaved anything off of it, or modified it in any way. Its straight out of the package.

Are you sure you have the medium and not the small?
Old 10-14-2006, 09:11 AM
Regional Moderator

Heres a look at a Kimbrough medium mounted up in my TA05. As you can see, there is no lock or chassis rub in either direction. And like I said, this is without modifying the servo saver at all.

Maybe its just the difference in servo brands that results in a bad fit for some.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan-kimbrough-medium.jpg   Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan-kimbrough-medium_2.jpg  
Old 10-14-2006, 09:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Ah, you bought the one without the pre-drilled holes. That looks good. The one that comes with pre-drilled holes has the middle hole pre-drilled halfway down the tab, thus making it too short.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:42 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by ittjv
Ah, you bought the one without the pre-drilled holes. That looks good. The one that comes with pre-drilled holes has the middle hole pre-drilled halfway down the tab, thus making it too short.
Ahh.... Now I get you.

This one came, as you said, not predrilled. Even though it did have little imprinted 'circle' marks to show where some usual hole positions might be made. Which made putting that perfectly centered hole easy.
Old 10-14-2006, 04:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (83%+)

got a 3racing shassis and various other hop ups for my ta05
has the yokomo esc posted 2 pages back with a 15 turn motor limit
using a yokomo 15t super stock motor
and the esc would get so hot after 1 min of running....
so i put in a 20t....
and it over heated and blew....
but yes it fits its pretty small and the blue looks good with the alloy bits on my ta05
now i have a duratrax intelaspeed esc with the same 20t motor and the stock spur and pinon and it runs really good
just noticed a good 4-5mm of steering slop which i will be working out tonight
Old 10-14-2006, 04:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Darkseid
Heres a look at a Kimbrough medium mounted up in my TA05. As you can see, there is no lock or chassis rub in either direction. And like I said, this is without modifying the servo saver at all.

Maybe its just the difference in servo brands that results in a bad fit for some.
I like how that servo saver looks. I've been running a Dubro heavy duty arm on mine. I've broken several. I think I'll try one of those. I've looked for a better saver, but they never seem to fit or swing correctly. I use a Hitec HS-9525 digital, so we'll see if it will work.

Ben
Old 10-14-2006, 06:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I've had a TA05 for a basher for about a year. The other night I decided to set it up to run on my local carpet track w/ rubber tyres. As it is a basher I'd bought alloy control arms etc so when it hit anything it didn't break and weight didn't matter so the car was heavy. With TRF shocks running the kit oil and yellow springs all around I was really surprised at how quick and easy to drive the car was with very little tuning. I set up ride height to about 6mm front and 6.5mm rear. camber at .5 front and 1 rear. Put it on the tweak station and then put it on the track. The car was a little loose on decel and pushed a bit through corners but not enough to unsettle the car. I think if I run some stiffer springs up front and put a little more droop in the rear the car will be a very nice car for stock racing. I'm very surprised at how close to my Pro 4 it is w/o any tuning.
Old 10-14-2006, 06:49 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey
I've had a TA05 for a basher for about a year. The other night I decided to set it up to run on my local carpet track w/ rubber tyres. As it is a basher I'd bought alloy control arms etc so when it hit anything it didn't break and weight didn't matter so the car was heavy. With TRF shocks running the kit oil and yellow springs all around I was really surprised at how quick and easy to drive the car was with very little tuning. I set up ride height to about 6mm front and 6.5mm rear. camber at .5 front and 1 rear. Put it on the tweak station and then put it on the track. The car was a little loose on decel and pushed a bit through corners but not enough to unsettle the car. I think if I run some stiffer springs up front and put a little more droop in the rear the car will be a very nice car for stock racing. I'm very surprised at how close to my Pro 4 it is w/o any tuning.
With a little tuning it will beat your Pro 4. Several guys at SIR used to drive those and switched to the 05.
Old 10-14-2006, 06:55 PM
Tech Addict

It wouldn't surprise me. Anyone know what the spring rates are for the tamiya springs? I'm thinking I'll start with a similar set-up to the pro 4 and go from there. I have 30lbs springs on the front and 20lbs springs on the rear. A few guys with X-rays are running similar ratings but a little softer at the rear so I'm thinking it's a good starting point.
Old 10-14-2006, 07:27 PM
Tech Regular

get rid of those alloy arms. use them on high traction track. but on rubber asphalt all you need is traction to get dialed.
Old 10-14-2006, 07:30 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by sportpak
I like how that servo saver looks. I've been running a Dubro heavy duty arm on mine. I've broken several. I think I'll try one of those. I've looked for a better saver, but they never seem to fit or swing correctly. I use a Hitec HS-9525 digital, so we'll see if it will work.

Ben
Well as you've seen discussed here, be sure to get the Kimbrough Mid-Size w/o Holes

That link will take you right to it. As I said, there are little hole outlines on it, be sure to use the highest middle hole outline. A quick twist or two with a body reamer and you've got the perfect hole and perfect servo saver.
Old 10-14-2006, 07:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

I would literally put my car (TA05) up against any other car on the market. I truley believe if TRF drivers ran this car at a major race it would be be right up there with ANY other chassis! The TA05 is "THE SLEEPER OF THE CENTURY"!
Old 10-14-2006, 07:36 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by jinkasama
get rid of those alloy arms. use them on high traction track. but on rubber asphalt all you need is traction to get dialed.

Yeah, I will. I just ran them because I literally just picked up the car from the corner it had been sitting in as I left for the track and didn't have time to change it all back. I'll put the original suspension back on and see how it goes.

I'd ask if anyone has a good set-up for rubber tyres on carpet with a stock motor but I suspect the original set-up is very close as it is apart from springs.
Old 10-14-2006, 07:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

Actaully, the box stock setup...including the springs should be near perfect. I would maybe adjust the droop and maybe shock angle but the yellow springs should be very close to perfect. I run carpet/foam and I son't even have 30# springs on the car...I use 25# front 22# rear. Stick with the yellows...
Old 10-15-2006, 10:40 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by CIVIC91
I would literally put my car (TA05) up against any other car on the market. I truley believe if TRF drivers ran this car at a major race it would be be right up there with ANY other chassis! The TA05 is "THE SLEEPER OF THE CENTURY"!
The TA05 is a great car for the money, but I have seen the top drivers for Tamiya in a TA05 only race and they are faster with their MSX's. You won't see any of them giving up their MSX's to run TA05's.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.