Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan >

Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan

Like Tree68Likes

Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan

Old 09-29-2006, 09:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

There seems to be a lot of talk about the center diff coming out. Are you guys sure they are not talking about the center Slipper Clutch that was just released?
Old 09-30-2006, 02:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

As it is a comemorative car, that celebrates it's first RC car, which had three diffs, then more than likely, it will be some sort of diff in the middle.
Old 09-30-2006, 06:26 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Heh.. I didn't notice at first that it does say ball diffs front and rear, and "gear differential in the center" ..could be a slipper clutch... not sure how practical it would be unless they're making a TA05-B buggy or something off-road.. it could be related to that crazy expensive looking TRF-buggy they had at the trade show...

It's just the cantilever description of the center shaft that leads me to believe it's a cut-out mount with the arms to hold the shaft suspended from one side..
Old 09-30-2006, 06:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jam-ehz
You can probably wait on the center oneway, as your front oneway will be doing exactly that function.. then again, it's a nice blue...

Perhaps front universals would be good as well, but that's really it..
how about cf shoxtower??? its stiffer than the stock.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:46 PM
Tech Addict

I guess it all depends if you run carpet or asphalt whether you want a stiffer tower..
Old 09-30-2006, 10:56 PM
Tech Master

Hey guys,

I'm looking into running either my TA05 or my Evo IV up at Stockton Raceway (high grip carpet with RP30's) this winter. I'm wondering what I need to do to make this car carpet ready. I have the sway bars and a good assortment of springs. My main concern about the TA05 is chassis flex. I don't think it'd work very well on high grip carpet. Is this a valid concern?

Next, do I want to run the standard suspension on the car, or I should I rob the lightweight set off my Evo?

Or should I just run the Evo?

-Dan
Old 09-30-2006, 10:59 PM
Tech Adept

just give the ta05 a run first and see what its like if theres to much flex you could buy the tamiya graphite tub which is stiffer and lighter by about 10g
Old 10-01-2006, 01:14 AM
Tech Master

Sound advice, but I'm probably only going to get a chance to race about once a month this winter (depends on how often my ride to the track would like to race) I prefer to show up prepared as opposed to having to find something that works

-Dan
Old 10-01-2006, 03:56 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by BlackKat
Hey guys,

I'm looking into running either my TA05 or my Evo IV up at Stockton Raceway (high grip carpet with RP30's) this winter. I'm wondering what I need to do to make this car carpet ready. I have the sway bars and a good assortment of springs. My main concern about the TA05 is chassis flex. I don't think it'd work very well on high grip carpet. Is this a valid concern?

Next, do I want to run the standard suspension on the car, or I should I rob the lightweight set off my Evo?

-Dan
Swap for the lightweight. It improves the feel and steerability of the car tenfold.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:21 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

With rubber tires the stock chassis does not have too much flex. If you decide to go to foams, then yes, get the Tamiya graphite tub.
Hey guys,

-Dan
Old 10-01-2006, 08:38 AM
Tech Master

Alright guys, Stock TA05 with the lightweight suspension? Any votes for the standard suspension? Should I go for the front one-way? (anyone try the 3Racing one, it's a good bit cheaper than the Tamiya unit)

-Dan
Old 10-01-2006, 08:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Black kat, The traction of the Norcal track and Ripon is similar to carpet(assuming you run the rubber class). I would give the ever popular yellow springs with yellow sway bars set-up a try first at stockton, then tune from there. I belive the popular tire set-up for stockton was sorex 28's (front) and sorex 24's (rear). I know a lot of guys use the RP's up there, I would ask around on the rcracing site. Personally, I don't see the need for any other tires as long as sorex is still in business,but what the hell do i know. Hope this helps and good luck--Al

p.s. The stock suspension should be fine and a oneway would definitely help your corner speed. Don't use less than 1.5 deg. of camber. I use that combo and my TA05 hurts a lot of egos.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:00 AM
Tech Addict

Well, I got my order for the LWS and a few extra 4-deg caster blocks.. however, they sent me 2-degree blocks instead..

How much of a difference will this make, and should I bother to try to get them swapped for 4-deg ones instead?

I've never used the LWS before, but I've seen on most setup sheets that 4-deg blocks are used..
Old 10-01-2006, 11:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Alright guys, Stock TA05 with the lightweight suspension? Any votes for the standard suspension? Should I go for the front one-way? (anyone try the 3Racing one, it's a good bit cheaper than the Tamiya unit)

-Dan
I run on Carpet, with rubber tyres/additive, 3Racing chassis and a 3Racing front one-way (thinking of putting the Tamiya unit in there only to allow me to use the MRE pulleys with the wide pitch).

-2' camber all round, raise the inner rear ball stub buy 2mm, stock suspension, 3hol pistons all round (TRF shocks), KIT silver springs on front, yellows on rear. Yellow roll bar up front, Red on rear. Handles ace.
Old 10-01-2006, 12:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

I've run the stock suspension on my car for a year now. I have raced it heavily from carpet foam/rubber to asphalt rubber...with anyhting between a silver can to brushless setup. Unless the LWS can shave 1/2 a second off my lap times (it won't) I am sticking with the stock suspension. It is an absolute tank (the LWS is not!) and handles awesome. I had a 415 with the LWS and was not overly impressed. Plus if you ever want to use foams you need HPI parts to get them to fit with the LWS. They fit the stock suspension with no extra parts. I'm not bagging on the LWS. I'm sure it has it's place, but I get tired of people saying it's an absolute "must have"...because it's not!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.