Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan >

Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan

Like Tree68Likes

Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan

Old 09-17-2006, 04:52 AM
Tech Initiate

Default grinding gears on TA05

Hi All,

I am having problems with my just completed TA05. When running on the ground, i could hear gears grinding noise. I have adjusted the motor mount, spur n the pinion...can`t seems to solve the problem...anyone faced a similar problem.......
Old 09-17-2006, 05:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by spd14
Hi All,

I am having problems with my just completed TA05. When running on the ground, i could hear gears grinding noise. I have adjusted the motor mount, spur n the pinion...can`t seems to solve the problem...anyone faced a similar problem.......
did you use new pinions??? and spur gear??

coz if not some old pinions are rough not fairly smooth teeths.. when the rough teeths contacts with the spur it creates noise like grinding.. try using new pinions and spur and see if there's any changes....

and check if there's any binding into your car.. binding creates noise.. if there is try to free your drive train..
Old 09-17-2006, 08:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I would make sure you didn't install a regular 48p pinion with the tamiya 48p metric spur...that could be a bit noisy--Al
Old 09-17-2006, 07:38 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by spd14
Hi All,

I had the same problem the first time that I ran my car. There was some crud that got stuck between the teeth on my spur gear. You should also check the pinion gear. I just took an xacto blade and just scratched out the crud between the teeth. If you rotate the spur gear you will feel it snag in certain parts, rotate the gear more and look in-between the teeth. I bet you'll find some stuff in there.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Check your adjustable belt tensioners. I've had the left side forward and the right side backwards. It made a grinding noise like a chunked spur gear.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm planning to upgrade my TA05's drive system. Can anyone advice which I should go first - spool or centre oneway and what are it's advantages ?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Tks.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by kowkl2
I'm planning to upgrade my TA05's drive system. Can anyone advice which I should go first - spool or centre oneway and what are it's advantages ?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Tks.
You probly don't wanna run the center oneway with a spool. You use a spool if you wnna use brakes and if you have the center oneway in you'll only spin out when you use the brakes. If you have no other hop-ups I'd go with the Trf shocks and sway bars. You'll get the most out of those.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

Can someone tell me if the Tamiya TA05 titanium screw kit includes all the screws necessary to replace ALL the stock screws????and is it worth the 50 bucks???
Old 09-19-2006, 06:58 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

RC Champ has a cheaper option, around $30 for the TA05 kit.. they also have an Alu/Ti combo kit too..

That kit covers everything except the screw that bolts down the left servo mount to the chassis, as it needs a really flat head, and the 4 spur cover screws, as they're 2.6mm.. I don't think the Tamiya kit has them either..

I think it's worth it, as it replaces those darn phillips-head screws for Hex-heads, preventing stripping, is lighter overall, and just looks cool..
Old 09-19-2006, 07:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Yeah, but if ye by lookin' fer "cool", at least the aluminum be colored; like precious jewels from buried treasure...arrrrr.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:21 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the help. Oh and have you ever heard of a car failing spec at TCS because of the screws being "non Tamiya". I ay this because last year i was running the spec class and had the Tamiya Blue bumper on my TT01 instead of the black (both being absolutely identical; just different color) and they actually gave me a hard time over it.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:02 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The RC Champ screws are actually from the same factory that Tamiya's are, they're literally identical.. top quality stuff..

A cheaper option I've also taken is www.fastener-express.com, 50 aluminum screws for less than $10.. The blue is not the same as Tamiya's (they're darker and have a matte finish), but in the US and Canada any screws are allowed.. I bought a pack of 50 button head and countersunk blues, and rebuilt my Mini and my spare TA05 with them with lots to spare. haven't stripped one yet, they're great screws.. fast shipping too!

They also have purple, red, black, or just plain silver aluminum as well.

I can see the scrutiny for screws in Spec class, as I think everything has to be literally box-stock for everyone.. any other class the Al/Ti screws are fine..
Old 09-19-2006, 09:13 AM
Tech Initiate

problems solved bros..Thanxs...removed everything and re-installed back....
Old 09-19-2006, 09:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

So I got a front one way in a deal with a friend of mine but do not have much experience with these as well. Does anyone have the little instruction manual for it. It is already assembled but would like to check it out. I have no idea what the reccomended maintainance (cleaning/lubing) procedure is for these types of bearings. Was gonna just blast it with electric motor cleaner and blow it out with the compressor and lube with some Royal Purpple. Sound about right? My reident expert seems to be busy today so I am coming here for info.. THANKS
Old 09-19-2006, 11:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bane
So I got a front one way in a deal with a friend of mine but do not have much experience with these as well. Does anyone have the little instruction manual for it. It is already assembled but would like to check it out. I have no idea what the reccomended maintainance (cleaning/lubing) procedure is for these types of bearings. Was gonna just blast it with electric motor cleaner and blow it out with the compressor and lube with some Royal Purpple. Sound about right? My reident expert seems to be busy today so I am coming here for info.. THANKS
That's what I do and any light weight oil will do the trick.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.