Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan >

Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan

Like Tree68Likes

Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan

Old 02-02-2006, 07:09 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Would you consider driving to Wisconsin. There is an exceptional TCS race at Trackside in Milwaukee first weekend in March. It is actually a three day event. With practice Friday, qualifiers Saturday, mains Sunday with a triple A main formate.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:21 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

I'm just not big on carpet without foams. And it's still close to 1000 miles from me. It sounds cool though.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:59 AM
Doc
Tech Adept

And you gotta see the wonderful bowling trophies!!!!
Old 02-02-2006, 08:11 AM
Tech Adept

Maybe I'll be the first to run the TA05 without any of the "performance" hop-ups. The only things I'll be changing to start are the screws and the tires (I'll be running foam). I'd even use the stock screws if they weren't phillips head screws.
Currently, I drive a TC3 that's not in the greatest shape, while everyone I race with is driving an Xray of some type (FK04, FK05, T2) with assorted upgrades. I'm an average driver at the track, overall. My fastest laps are typically .8 sec or so off of the fastest drivers. This has been pretty consistent, so switching to the TA05 in stock form will let me see if it's at least as good as a FT TC3 with IRS diffs/CVDs, etc...
I drive with some national names, so it's a decent way to measure what the TA05 can do.
I'm hoping to have the car in the next couple weeks.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:15 AM
Tech Champion

I think this car will suprise you. It makes me look better than I am.

Plus you already have AE springs...thats all I use on carpet. I think right now I have Coppers and reds. 60/40 oil
Old 02-02-2006, 08:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Anyone got info on where I can get some chassis spacers PLEASE!!!
Old 02-02-2006, 08:26 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by CIVIC91
I think this car will suprise you. It makes me look better than I am.

Plus you already have AE springs...thats all I use on carpet. I think right now I have Coppers and reds. 60/40 oil
I run purple/yellow, 60/40. I'm assuming I should go to a thicker oil with the plastic stock shocks, though. Also, I'm even going to use the stock springs for the first practice pack, at least. Does the TA05 come with shock oil in the box? I know my DF02 did. I really want to see what the TA05 can do in stock form before I go changing anything. I do expect that stock oil and springs won't be anywhere near ideal for foams on carpet, but I'm going to run it nonetheless.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It does, don't ask me what one it is, I threw it away, as I prefer to use same branded oil so I know where I am.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:36 AM
Tech Champion

Yeah, i think it came with like 40wt.

Stock springs will let it roll a lot.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:40 AM
Tech Adept

Yep, I'm sure it won't handle too well. I may just empty the shocks and swap springs after one pack, but we'll see
I'll have replacements with me regardless.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:44 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by C_O_jones
Darkseid
I have 2 TA05's, for myself and my son.
We only use them to run the Tamiya TCS series, along with Mini Coopers.
Maybe you didn't notice the total price of the Xray, but its a lot less than the TA05 and doesn't need any more hop-ups to be competitive.
I dont know where you race, but I have yet to see a TA05 be competitive in any of the major races, Reedy, Vegas or elsewhere.
After having spent a small fortune on 415's just to keep them current plus a boxfull of suspension blocks, they were no where near as competitive as the Xrays right out of the box.
Just look at the support you get with Xray, check out there website, you can get setups for just about any trac and all the factory drivers list theirs.
What do you get from Tamiya? A world champ that doesn't even write down his setups, let alone give them out. Think you can find some Nats setups, the locals run almost every Sat, and still squat for help.
Fred Forg
Again, you seem pretty high on the Xray. But dude, while thinking of buying a TK05, I have seen those threads. Even for a car THAT advanced, there are people there that will greet new comers with a list of things they NEED to be competitive on this surface or that surface. Whether people NEED the hop ups or not, they still buy them...lots of them. Chassis, battery braces, hard arms, soft arms, etc...

You just made my point for me. Even a car that seems to have everything people would ever need, STILL has a hop ups list a mile long.

Why???

Because people will buy them...not because they NEED them, but because they want them.

-As for the competitiveness, I don't go to big race, I don't care for them. But i have seen the TA05 compete on the club level with Xray, Losi, etc...
-As for support, I don't care whether drivers save setups or not. Personally I think people spend WAY WAY WAAAAAAY too much time trying to copy the setup of team drivers. Whats the point? The best set up will always be one you come up with to fit your style, at your track, with your equipment.

And I find it kinda odd, after readying your post, how you can say your not knocking the car. In this one post you took shots at the car AND the company that made it. I'd hate to see if you DID decide to knock it.

Thats like trying to be nice to a kid....and telling them they'll be pretty....ummm...when they grow up.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:50 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by CIVIC91
Yeah, hand Hara an 05...the next day we'd hear "The TA05 is the best car on the market. I have to have one!" LOL
I don't know about that.... People are pretty hard on cars that don't fit their idea of "high end"

I mean look at all the winning Hara has done with the HPI R40. But still, all you ever hear about around here is Mugen, Mugen, MUGEN!!!

Like I said before, once people decide that a car is low level, it's almost impossible to change their mind.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:52 PM
Regional Moderator

Since we're on the topic of hop ups...

Has there been any new news about new carbon chassis...

...that I don't need

but want.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:17 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Darkseid
Since we're on the topic of hop ups...

Has there been any new news about new carbon chassis...

...that I don't need

but want.
its coming soon on the tamiya usa website. estimates point to the end of February.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Hey guys, I have a friend who want s to trade his 415 to a semi hop-up TA05, if anyone is interested just PM me or e-mail me at [email protected]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.