Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Orion Vortex First Look

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2002, 10:34 PM
Tech Legend

Ooooo !!!! Kkkkk !!!

It would be nice if you can please give us some kind of track report on this new motor....

I would guess you have given it a try out by now ?

Waiting..........
Old 08-21-2002, 04:14 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

Maybe the motor wasn't what it was cracked to be??
Old 08-21-2002, 06:02 AM
Tech Legend

I would `nt go as far as saying something like that !
I expect these brushless motor`s will be da norm after time...

You can`t stop progress.....

If they had a problem , I would like to know....

If it rips , I would like to know that as well...
Old 08-21-2002, 08:15 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

err....Yes...I would agree...thats why I voted with my wallet over a year ago and bought the Modeltech BL...unfortunately it now sits in the cupboard looking pretty while I continue to run my conventional motors......I'm hoping for better things from this latest generation before parting with another $380!!
Old 08-21-2002, 08:46 AM
Tech Regular

dtm
Why are you not using the modeltech BL. What are the drawbacks that keep you from using it ?
Is it the motor or the ESC ?
Old 08-21-2002, 08:51 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

In summary....poor low speed throttle response...this is probably key to me not using it. If you do a search of BL motors you will see a more detailed discussion on the topic. This is the one thing I hope this new generation will be able to solve.
Old 08-21-2002, 09:00 AM
Tech Regular

Dtm
I only know one person who has one and his main problems are with the ESC: adjusting the brakes is almost impossible (and that's one off the big differences with brushless, it doesn't brake on it's own because their is no mechanical drag) and the ESC shuts down with it gets to hot (and it does get hot).
I'm just waiting for the novak ESC to come out before I buy one.
Old 08-21-2002, 11:34 AM
Tech Rookie

hey DTM you were running the Schultze controller with the modeltech system? Have you changed the timing mode to #6? That is the only way to make it work a little smoother. That schultz controler is supposed to be a near replica of the orion controller. The only difference I have heard is that orion's is more programablity due to added switches on the controller. I sure wish Those guys from wildhobbies would hurry with the testing.
Old 08-21-2002, 11:47 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Like I said before Orion has been testing the new motor at SoCal Raceway for a while now. Novak has also begun testing their brushless at the track. Just yesterday I saw the Novak motor in action. As of right now the Orion seems like it blows the Novak away. Maybe Novak is still having speed control problems, but you'd think that in 3 years they'd have made better progress. It looks about as fast as a 19 turn.
Old 08-21-2002, 11:26 PM
dtm
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Spillertwo
Dtm
I only know one person who has one and his main problems are with the ESC: adjusting the brakes is almost impossible (and that's one off the big differences with brushless, it doesn't brake on it's own because their is no mechanical drag) and the ESC shuts down with it gets to hot (and it does get hot).
I'm just waiting for the novak ESC to come out before I buy one.
I have no problems with the brakes...if anything it is far too strong! The biggest issue is having slowed down/stop the car, getting it started again takes about 0.5sec, enough time for the car behind to give you a real good backender!

There is a 'delay' between moving your throttle finger and seeing the car react...normally resulting in you giving too much throttle, this is most apparent in low speeds. And No, I am no getting wheel spin or slipping diff........

But if you are talking about the drag brake from the motor free spinning then you are right...there is very little...but this is not a bad thing if you know how to drive with a front one-way!

As for heat. Even if you do not use brakes the thing gets pretty warm, I think the batteries come off at around 80+ deg C after a run....this maybe because the weather is pretty hot anyway....starting at 30 deg C...where as with some of the testing in the UK you start at 4 deg C!!

Overall, not good for small technical track, but for large flowing 1/8 track or just bashing (we call this taking the dog for a walk!) you may be able to get away with it because you don't have such a big requirement for low speed response.

If this problem is sorted....I will be the first the lay down another $380 on the table....but this time I don't want to be the 'test dummy'!!!!!
Old 08-21-2002, 11:30 PM
dtm
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Ben_Busta
hey DTM you were running the Schultze controller with the modeltech system? Have you changed the timing mode to #6? That is the only way to make it work a little smoother. That schultz controler is supposed to be a near replica of the orion controller. The only difference I have heard is that orion's is more programablity due to added switches on the controller. I sure wish Those guys from wildhobbies would hurry with the testing.
I have also heard this about the Schultze controller...but I have the Modeltech, which I believe is the same as the GM (Perhaps Mike from Modeltech would like to comment on this??)

The instructions do not mention anything about mode changing (I think)...but I know it can be changed. I read the GM instructions once but do not have a copy.....does anyone have one they can email to me?? I will then try out this mode #6......
Old 08-22-2002, 01:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Well I dont have a scanner but I will try and use my digital camera and see what I can make out of it. Basically if your speed cont. is the same as the GM speed commander, you should hear 1 beep, 2 beep, until you hear 6 continuous beep, then you configure the speed controller. The rest of the modes are for airplane, heli, boat or for pylon racing. Dont think you want to try any of those, probably trash your batt and car. I have a bit of problem with the heat, my batt goes soooo hot after playing that I find it too hot to touch, same goes for the motor. I installed a small fan for the controller.

Time for 3000HV = approx. 12 minutes racing, about 8-10 min. for 3000H. Power is linear until last 1 min or so. Torque is stupid, always wheelspin coming out of straights. gearing = 9.8. Speed, able to catch up on some serpents. Braking is okay but not really required, has proportional braking. Coast them slam on power will help going through corners. Not suitable for techical tracks unless you have very good throttle control.
Old 08-22-2002, 01:08 AM
Tech Adept

the Orion bl esc is designed and developed by Schultze, so maybe they should b quite similar in terms of performance.

Last edited by kino2; 08-22-2002 at 01:13 AM.
Old 08-22-2002, 08:35 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

Originally posted by spawn
Well I dont have a scanner but I will try and use my digital camera and see what I can make out of it. Basically if your speed cont. is the same as the GM speed commander, you should hear 1 beep, 2 beep, until you hear 6 continuous beep..........
Yes I have 'heard' the GM controller and the 'bleeps' are exactly that same strange tone. Also the 2 controllers look exactly the same! If you could get the GM instructions over to me...that would be really great...Thks!
Old 08-22-2002, 10:24 AM
Tech Adept

We have been asked by Orion to not publish any official test results quite yet. However, we are very excited about the new motor and its performance.

To wet your appetite a little, we put the Vortex-10 into a T3 and took it out. It had tons of torque and lots of high end. The brakes were very consistent and strong. Add that to a 12 minute run-time and you get the general idea.

More info as soon as we can.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.