R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Setup station/Tweak board (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/679891-setup-station-tweak-board.html)

nsgland 11-20-2012 08:35 AM

Setup station/Tweak board

I have been looking into purchasing a setup station for my TC, also thinking about a tweak board. Then I found this "Unity Tool Tweak Board" http://www.unitytool.com/tweakboard/instructions.html
and thought this may be the best of both worlds. Has anyone used this product? Looking for positive and negative feedback.

Thanks,
Neil

B00t13g 11-20-2012 08:39 AM

I've used it. Not really a huge fan. I much prefer my hudy stuff.

orcadigital 11-20-2012 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by nsgland (Post 11462417)
I have been looking into purchasing a setup station for my TC, also thinking about a tweak board. Then I found this "Unity Tool Tweak Board" http://www.unitytool.com/tweakboard/instructions.html
and thought this may be the best of both worlds. Has anyone used this product? Looking for positive and negative feedback.

Thanks,
Neil

Not to start a brand war, but there are some flaws in this. First, measuring the outside of the tire is not anywhere near as accurate. While I am not sure the linked station will even do TC (they only show pan car examples), I would definitely want to know things like camber without taking the foam tires into consideration (as you can cut them with camber). USVTA tires are notorious for having camber in the tire (due to the different inside and outside side wall height) but TC tires are not super either.

I have the Hudy setup system, and it is awesome. I also have a metal Integy one and it was just as good for me. I did not like the clear plastic ones, integy or hudy though, but that is personal opinion. As far as tweak with a TC, it is not something I would get a tweak board specifically for. Removing wheels and shocks, and placing the car on a flat setup board, and you will see if you have tweak. There are several floating around at the track (and I have the Hudy one that comes with the setup station) but I use it only on my pan cars. If the TC is tweaked, it is removing the topdeck and possibly loosening bulkheads, then methodically tightening everything back down.

Honestly, I'd recommend trying some that others have at the track. They are similar, but you may find something you like or dislike about a specific style or brand to help make your decision.

LloydLoar 11-20-2012 10:38 AM

While I use the Hudy setup tools, I know that a lot of the CRC team drivers use this Unity system. From what I have been told, Max and Dave both prefer using it.

Not that pro usage should dictate your purchasing plans, but something to think about.

SS LS1 11-20-2012 10:42 AM

Not a fan of the Unity system....

1) I don't like using the sides of wheels (which are known to get bent from impacts) to check camber settings, not reliable IMO. I prefer to remove the wheels and bolt on a set of dedicated camber plates from a setup station. Very repeatable method.

2) With traditional camber plates (gauges) you can also easily check for camber gain as your suspension compresses, chassis rolls over or rises up against droop screw settings on all four wheels at once (touring car). This can give you a dynamic visual indicator of your tires changing contact patch on the track. Not easily done with the Unity system.

3) Traditional setup stations quickly show you bump steer changes, toe settings and steering throw symmetry without using loose blocks that can easily cause user error IMO. With the Unity system, you are gauging off of wheel sides that once again may be bent or untrue.

orcadigital 11-20-2012 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by LloydLoar (Post 11462882)
While I use the Hudy setup tools, I know that a lot of the CRC team drivers use this Unity system. From what I have been told, Max and Dave both prefer using it.

Not that pro usage should dictate your purchasing plans, but something to think about.

Is the Unity system even for TC? Just curious, as CRC team drivers and CRC not having a TC. Just wondering, as the OP is looking for his TC.

LloydLoar 11-20-2012 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by orcadigital (Post 11463013)
Is the Unity system even for TC? Just curious, as CRC team drivers and CRC not having a TC. Just wondering, as the OP is looking for his TC.

Most of the CRC drivers drive the VBC car, which CRC does carry kits and spares for. I am not sure what they use for a setup station with that car, though.

orcadigital 11-20-2012 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by LloydLoar (Post 11463041)
Most of the CRC drivers drive the VBC car, which CRC does carry kits and spares for. I am not sure what they use for a setup station with that car, though.

Oh yes, totally forgot about that. Back to the original topic... :)

Tire Chunker 11-20-2012 05:28 PM

Works for 1/12, 1/10 and 1/8th scale.

gonzo416 11-20-2012 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by nsgland (Post 11462417)

Thanks,
Neil

I think it is definitely worth the money. It allows you to check all measurements as the car would be on the track. I know the wheels can be imperfect, but the changes made aren't going to change when put on the track because the suspension is compressed as is when on the track. Just my opinion. I had the Ultimate Hudy Setup Station in the aluminum breifcase and sold it and have never used anything but the Unity Tool tweakboard. It's all a matter of preference.

-Dutch- 11-20-2012 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by orcadigital (Post 11462806)
First, measuring the outside of the tire is not anywhere near as accurate.

I have some questions.

1) How do you compensate for the inaccuracy of the tires if you do not figure them into the measurement?

Originally Posted by orcadigital (Post 11462806)
tires are notorious for having camber in the tire (due to the different inside and outside side wall height)

2) How do you compensate for the inaccuracy of the tires if you do not figure them into the measurement?

orcadigital 11-20-2012 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by -Dutch- (Post 11464664)

I have some questions.

1) How do you compensate for the inaccuracy of the tires if you do not figure them into the measurement?

2) How do you compensate for the inaccuracy of the tires if you do not figure them into the measurement?

It is about consistency. If you measure at the hub/axle, you know that 2* of camber = 2* of suspension camber. The number could be anything, as you may need to add 0.5* or take away the same amount as you tune your car. By measuring at the hub, you have a consistent baseline point that does not change (as wheels and tires do) and it allows you to compare to other people who as a standard, also measure the same way.

When you measure droop, you can use 10mm Hudy blocks, 13mm 3Racing blocks, 20mm offroad blocks, etc. But you have to make sure to use the droop gauge based on that base height. If you use 10mm blocks and a 13mm gauge, you can still measure droop and make it consistent, but when the next time you use a 10mm gauge, your numbers will all change even if the settings do not.

The reason you do not need to compensate for the tire, is too many things cause camber to change. Ride height, droop, roll center, caster, anti-dive, etc etc. Just because you have 0* camber does not mean that the tire is sitting flat, whether in a straight or in a corner. You adjust the camber just like everything else based on how the car drives and how you drive the car. 2* on you car might be 1* on someone elses to have the same handling effect. But if you are not measuring from the same place, how do you get back to a setup you liked? I do not know the camber difference between a Jaco Blue and a Sweep QTS 32. I know that they work with 1* front camber on my car, and if I measure that at the hub, the car will work. The number might be 2* with Jacos, 1.5* with Sweeps, and it might change set to set, or even run to run as the rims flex. I always know that my hub is at the right setting though.

It obviously works for some people, and that is awesome for them. I am not one of the "fast guys", so I spend a lot of time working on my car. When a team driver asks me my camber, I know he is measuring the hub, and in order for his advice to mean anything to me, I need to measure the same way. I also know if I take my car apart for service, I can put it back exactly how it was, no matter the tires that are on it.

SS LS1 11-20-2012 09:18 PM

Orca is right on the money with that post!

corallyman 11-20-2012 09:45 PM

I have both, and they are both good bad, I guess. You can do alot with the unity system and it's engraved and the bubble is done for you, unlike some others that have the user do it.

I have used it on my 1/8th scale on roads, and 235mm on road 1/10th scales and of course 1/12th.

I also like my Hudy system too.

To the original poster, hopefully you try both before buying but if not then just buy what system you think you'd perfer.

Steve

gpm-parts.com 11-20-2012 09:56 PM

Just wondering how you lock the toe/camber block on the tweak station. As I cannot find a setup station for my 1/5 F1, I tried using a ruler with a camber guage (think similar to this setup) to check the toe and it is really hard to get it accurate.....