Community
Wiki Posts
Search

one ways/spools

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 09:30 AM
Tech Addict

Default one ways/spools

i was just curious. ive never ran anything but a diff and understand how a spool can rip up the front drivetrain. ive also heard that oneways rip it up too. why is that? theres no braking force so i thought it would actually be easier on the drivetrain.
and is a one way pulley gonna wear the drivetrain the same as a oneway diff? or differently?
Old 04-01-2005, 09:44 AM
Tech Master

because both the spool and onceway are locked axles when going in a foward direction so there is more stress on the drivetrain.

one-way is a bit more forgiving as when your slowing down there is hardly any stress being put on the drivetrain if you know what i mean..where as with the spool it is still a locked axle.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

A spool wears parts out because there's no give at all. A oneway can wear it if you hit something. When you're running a diff, if you hit a dot or the wall and the wheel that hits wants to stop, it can because if the diff action. But with a oneway, that tire can't stop if the drivtrain is turning (which it always is when the car is in motion.) That puts a lot of stress on CVD's and outdrives.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:08 AM
Tech Addict

oh i see. well those are examples with oneway diffs right? how about a oneway pulley then?
Old 04-01-2005, 10:08 AM
Tech Initiate

Default One-way

I have been using a one-way in my TC4 from about Jan and I've went thru about 6 of the one-way gears. Like Jon said, if your on power when u hit theres a good chance of something breaking/stripping. So if your going to hit something, try to be off power when u do. Even tho i've been thru so many of those one-way gears I still haven't put back in a ball diff, I like the one-way too much.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:30 AM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by greencactus3
oh i see. well those are examples with oneway diffs right? how about a oneway pulley then?
Just a oneway on the layshaft and a diff in front you should be fine as far as wear. Honestly I don't think that setup would work too well. I've never run it so I don't know for sure. But, you have no brakes and you still have the diff action on power that can cause the inside front tire to unload, loosing traction. You're getting the worst of both worlds with that.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

just what happens to be the difference, in lamemans terms between a one way and a spool
examples would help as well

I know that both only travel in one direction, but expanding on it would be helpful
Old 04-01-2005, 02:23 PM
Tech Champion

A spool is a solid axle. Many people make a spool out of a standard diff by simply taking the diff balls out and tightening it until it's locked. Both front wheels spin at the same speed. A oneway however has oneway bearings on the outdrives. This allows each front wheel to spin independently of each other. The front tires can spin forward but not backward. That's what locks them when power is applied. Your front pulley or diff gear spins forward and the front tires are forced to turn. But when power is let off and you front pulley stops, the front wheels will free spin. That's why you have no front brakes with a oneway.

A oneway will generally give a lot of steering all around. But they can be hard to drive if you're not used to them and like I said, you have no brakes. If you try and brake with a oneway, if the car is not perfectly balance and weight even on the track, it will spin instantly. Some of the top drivers can use slight amounts of brake with a oneway but it's hard to do.

A spool will give less off power steering usually but ton's of on power steering.

With a standard diff, the inside front tire tends to unload under heavy cornering and looses traction. That's why they're not as common as the other two on asphalt.
Old 04-01-2005, 04:30 PM
Tech Regular

Actually, a spool doesn't just travel in one direction, it is essentially a locked diff and thus give you the ability to brake.

Originally posted by ford_racing
just what happens to be the difference, in lamemans terms between a one way and a spool
examples would help as well

I know that both only travel in one direction, but expanding on it would be helpful
Old 04-01-2005, 08:55 PM
Tech Master

When you lock up the brakes......... a one-way lets the front wheels keep spinning and going forward while the rear wheels lock up and are under no control.

A spool gives you the benefits of a one-way as far as acceleration and allows you to use brakes and control the rear end on corner entry. It just takes away steering at mid to exit on throttle. So, there are some setup changes required.

Jeff
Old 04-01-2005, 08:58 PM
Tech Master

is the transition from one-way to spool difficult. i plsn on doing that
Old 04-01-2005, 09:04 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by axel
is the transition from one-way to spool difficult. i plsn on doing that
No, that's pretty easy. The car will feel really easy to drive and like someone mentioned, it will require some setup changes to help with mid corner steering. Going from a spool to a oneway when you've never run a oneway before can be very difficult though.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:23 PM
Tech Master

I'm still trying to decide between diff or spool. what's better for medium -big sized tracks. I'm also using a BMI pro4 if it makes a difference.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:33 PM
Tech Champion

Spool. Diff you'll endup pushing. Spool will normally yeild faster lap times one you get the car setup for it.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:36 PM
Tech Master

So will a spool help pull me around corners.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.