R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-17-2012, 05:42 PM   #1
Tech Initiate
Default Must haves to get started in electric racing

Hello im looking to get into electric onroad touring and need some direction. Ive been racing nitro on road for 15+ years but know nothing about electric. First off chargers and power supplys which ones are the ones to buy and which ones should i stay away from.Thank you
Mugen USA, Sanwa, Hobby People, Desoto Racing, Flashpoint Fuel
T.Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:58 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Thunder power chargers are really nice. Any power supply will suffice just as long as there is enough power output to run your charger and accessories. But I recommend 20-30 amps. A deceits soldering iron may come in handy(60 watts). Ride height gauge along with down stop gauge. A basic camber gauge, doesn't have to be the fancy Hudy kit but something to help with set up. Maybe a pit lamp. Oh and I almost forgot, hex drivers. I'm sure that other will suggest other items but that's what I would start with.

P.S. tire additive but I suggest asking your fellow club members what's they use and or allowed at your club.
Minh Nguyen-FD
[Hobby Authority Distribution][Maclan Racing][Xpert]
trigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:55 PM   #3
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Find out the details on what your club is running. My club runs foam tires on electric touring cars. These touring cars are quite a bit different and more sensitive to changes than the off road stuff. In my opinion, there are areas where you can save money. That's on the chargers and batteries. As for chargers, I have one of these. $32 with a power supply.

It will charge up to a 6S battery. These touring cars use 2S batteries.

I also like the Turnigy Nano-Tech battery. I have a couple dozen of these batteries and they are excellent. Just as good as the batteries that cost $100+. These are the ones I have. I can run hard for a half hour on one of these things! Then, you can charge it in 15 minutes. Buy two and you can never stop driving!
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:31 AM   #4
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by T.Clark View Post
Hello im looking to get into electric onroad touring and need some direction. Ive been racing nitro on road for 15+ years but know nothing about electric. First off chargers and power supplys which ones are the ones to buy and which ones should i stay away from.Thank you
It depends how serious you want to get. If you are just dabbling, you can get many 5-6amp chargers with built in AC power. If you plan on doing electric for a while, I'd recommend as above, a 20+amp power supply. Chargers will vary, but ideally you will want something that can charge at 10+ amps. Charger quality does make a difference in consistency of battery power delivery, and if you are serious about electric, then you need a good charger. I currently run a CE Turbo 35 and Turbo 35 GFX at the local track, and take the GFX and an Icharger 208B with me when I travel. 20amp charge and discharge with all the bells and whistles. Thunder Power, Hyperion, Junsi, Competition Electronics all make good chargers. Best is go look at the fast guys at your local track and see what they have. It will be a good indication not only of brand, but of what features are important to have.

You will want access to setup tools. Many at our track lend them out and help those without them, but they are pretty much a necessity. You can get into a 3Racing or Integy setup station for under $100, or go full on Hudy for a lot more. You need at least a 2 wheel station (4 is just easier) to do toe, camber, and caster, a setup board (or some other true flat board), and a ride height gauge (you can measure droop over ride height, but not true droop with it as well). You can usually borrow a tweak station the rare times you might need it.

Of course the regular tools, hex wrenches, nut drivers etc specific to your vehicle. Most modern touring cars are metric, and you can get by with 1.5, 2.0, 2.5, and 3.0 hex wrenches and 5.5 and 7.0mm nut drivers. You will also want a turnbuckle wrench (makes life much easier).

I borrow a soldering iron from my friend who pits next to me, so I rarely bring mine. It is something you will want access to, as you never know when you need to swap a motor or resolder something.
Desoto Racing * Serpent America * Boca Bearings

"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."
orcadigital is offline   Reply With Quote