one ways/spools

Old 04-01-2005, 09:39 PM
Tech Master

Also will it help around the chichane?
Old 04-01-2005, 09:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

It will pull the car out of the corners much harder than a diff will. That's the main advantage to a spool. Once you learn to drive a spool you'll be faster everywhere.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:48 PM
Tech Master

Thanks alot for the info. When i raced with the one-way indoors for th efirst time it was really sloppy.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:49 PM
Tech Champion

Indoor carpet?
Old 04-01-2005, 09:50 PM
Tech Master

yeah.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Originally posted by Jon Kerr
It will pull the car out of the corners much harder than a diff will. That's the main advantage to a spool. Once you learn to drive a spool you'll be faster everywhere.
Right on you will have to make some set up changes car will probably feel tight off throtle work on set up you will be faster.

Steve eaves
Old 04-01-2005, 10:01 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by axel
yeah.
That's a whole different story. The car reacts differently on carpet. I've not had a chance to run on carpet yet but everyone I know runs a diff on carpet. No question. I assumed you were running on asphalt. Sorry.

I'm not positive but I think the main reason they run a diff is because you get so much grip on carpet, the front diff will keep the car from having way too much steering.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:16 PM
Tech Master

Ok.......... my thoughts

Carpet........ double diff or a one-way front. Run the camber links as long as possible to get extra traction unless it is high bite. Long links will give you less camber change and keep the car flatter and more forward bite which carpet lacks on rubber tires. Everything varies though.

Asphalt.......... spool, unless you are a setup expert. Spool allows the use of brakes and error. One-way locks up the rear wheels and the fronts keep rolling. Not good unless you run some anti-dive. If you want the car easy to drive them run a spool or a diff.

A spool will push on entrance, mid and exit of a corner. Typically you have to run a lower roll center in the front and/or thicker oil. There are other changes to do as well, perhaps more caster.

Diffs front and rear allow you to control traction as well. The thicker the diff grease, the slower the diff action, the less traction there is. Technically it is like running a tighter front diff but it is still different. Tuning with diff grease thickness is used a lot in offroad but applies nicely for rubber tire applications in high traction to prevent traction rolling. A one-way will always be faster though on a mid to large sized track due to efficiency, acceleration and turn in.

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Brown; 04-01-2005 at 10:23 PM.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:21 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Jon Kerr
That's a whole different story. The car reacts differently on carpet. I've not had a chance to run on carpet yet but everyone I know runs a diff on carpet. No question. I assumed you were running on asphalt. Sorry.

I'm not positive but I think the main reason they run a diff is because you get so much grip on carpet, the front diff will keep the car from having way too much steering.
Jon yes the car reacts twichy with a oneway when running foam tires and is dificult to drive. I have tried it and didnt really like it felt way nervous.

The idea of a diff is to make it driverable. And the main reason this is prefered over a spool is the spool kills corner speed on FOAM tires and if your running rubber tires you can get away using a spool. Which actually is faster because the tires have less tractions.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:25 PM
Tech Master

Well i'm using one-way with the anti-dive settings. But i want to make my car easier to drive as well. But i've never ran these new settings i just put into my car. The camber links are already long. But i feel i lag too much in corner speed . I feel REALLY sloppy when running one-way on carpet. But you say spool is for asphalt? Basicaly i need something that will help me give more agressiveness when hitting the corners, but at the same time i want it to feel like i don't have to be cautious as my one-way.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:27 PM
Tech Master

(I was reffering to Jeff Brown's comments)
Old 04-01-2005, 10:44 PM
Tech Master

Ok, well if you feel lagged, sloppy i guess as you mention, I would shorten the links. If it is a high bite situation I would run flat camber links in the front and angled links in the rear. It will give you more stability in the rear and pull the front around a bit.

Thicker oil in the front will give better reaction into corners. Softer springs will help hold the line better mid to exit.

Jeff
Old 04-01-2005, 10:59 PM
Tech Master

I actually did all i could do with what the pro4 gave me out of the box. But i think if i were to use diff all that would change.
Old 04-02-2005, 03:23 PM
Tech Elite

Pro 4 is designed for asphalt stock on rubber tires. You will not find a better car for that application.
Old 04-02-2005, 08:17 PM
Tech Master

A guy at my LHS just said to keep with the one-way when racing carpet. He said it's the same physics, and it will be better around the corners.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.