Radio reviews

Old 04-01-2005, 12:47 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by axel
If your willing to spend 500 on that radio, whay not buy the helios? Or the m8? They are both proven. And their cheaper.
axel- 20-30 a set of crystals makes the $330 Helios cost well into the $400's after you have everything you need. After the review from onebeatuptc3, I might just have to get that radio. Especially since I won't the first lab rat to buy one.

TC3- does the KO have throttle graphs?
Old 04-06-2005, 05:34 PM
Tech Addict

Ive used all 3 radios (m8, 3pk and Helios) and i just love the Helios mainly because of the wheel position, mind you i missed not haveing the fail safe installed like the 3pk and the 3pk is alot more user friendly. But you just cant best the feel of the Helios
Old 04-06-2005, 06:24 PM
Tech Master

I'm officialy a helios owner now. Personaly i thought the m8 felt more comfortable to me, but if i were to just put the wheel extension i would say the helios would feel better due to the fact you can turn the wheel in an angle. Also the helios is alot easier to hold and handle. The features on the helios i think is superior, but when it really comes down to racing they are about the same, I feel the helios is alot better.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Last edited by tazz888; 04-06-2005 at 07:00 PM.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:24 PM
Tech Addict

I just got a Helios recently.
Was going to buy the M8 but I read about the release of M11 on the very same day I was going to get the M8. Phew!!!

So, I changed my mind and got the Helios instead. Costs about 15% more than the M8(bought with servos) but I have to say I have no regrets.

It has loads of features and the manual is as thick as a small magazine. To me about a week to read and get to know all the functions. Navigating is not a problem coz it allows me to program 2 custom menus.

The feel is better than M8 or 3pk. (my opinion only) It does not feel as heavy. In fact, it is almost as light as an entry level TX. And the weight balance is good, not top heavy. Plan to get the larger grip pads and wheel extension. These items should make the Helios feel even better...

Pro4Capece,

Get the Helios and save the rest of the money to get a Spektrum.

Cheers...
Old 04-06-2005, 07:56 PM
Tech Master

Yeah the spektrum is probaly as s good investment as a new radio. I'm still trying to figue out the bells and whistles of this tx, which is good that means it must be worth it. Is tyhe large grip better for bigger hands or just generaly?
Old 04-06-2005, 08:28 PM
Tech Addict

I want to get the larger grip coz I think the stock one is too small. I have relatively large hands. If you feel comfortable enough with the stock pads, then not necessary I guess...
Old 04-06-2005, 08:32 PM
Tech Master

You think when they show race results the helios will be like 9 out of the 10 listed like the m8?
Old 04-06-2005, 08:39 PM
Tech Elite

I like the M8, but all the radios listed are good. The M8 has the Spektrum system module already and that's where the future is. The M11 isn't due till the end of this year or beginning of next. The other radios will have the Spektrum too, so its your personal feel. Price is a slight nod for M8 and I like the way you navigate with everything right on the screen, but others just get used to the other systems too. I wrap my handle with tennis grip (yonex white) and it feels great.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:07 PM
Tech Master

The only reason why i got the helios over the m8 is because i felt the helios was more centered. And that the guys at my lhs just said get the helios. This one guy used all the high end radios out there and he said if he didn't have the jr r1 he'd get the helios.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:47 AM
Tech Adept

Default Weight

I read that the M11 weights 710g without batteries. Isn't that heavy?

What's the weight of the 3PK and the Helios?

/Arvid
Old 04-07-2005, 06:39 AM
Tech Master

Helios is the lightest, and the 3pk is just plain heavy. That's why i didn't like the 3pk
Old 04-07-2005, 07:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I also have the Helios only after having the M8 yes teh M8 is easier to navagate but once you read the manual and learn all the the helios can do...Hands down it is superior. The drop down wheel is a most and I had to wrap my handle with the extra thick tennis racket wraping...you know the one with the gel inside the wrapping. Man once I got the wrapping on, Perfect fit. My hands are too big for any Radio in stock form so don't let that be your desiding factor. The helios comes with the smallest receiver, and has High Speed Responce, which is faster than the M8 or the R1 I believe the 3PK also has HRS. The best part is the Spektrumis already out for it and it works flawless for me. I got th every first batch of Helios Spektrum and no problems to report. Now the M11 looks nice also but from what is coming out of Japan we mear Americans won't see it until next year...Some exslusive drivers might have them sooner....Regular Joe Smoe won't. I didget a chance to use a 3PK before I bought the Helios and it felt top heavy and it was too close to a Radar gun for my liking....Now if it had a radar gun feature in the 3PK I would be using it right now....LOL
The helios is a great radio but does have features the rgular drive doen't need. But it is real nice when you do to track and some pro comes up and shows you what the feature you anr not using will help you drive better. Had this happen to me already with the Steering curve....WOW now I know I got the right radio....
Plus if it good enough for Hara that well it is good enough for any of us. Masami would probably own this radio if he wasn't so old school hardcore. MAN now that is a PRO.....
Sorry ramble over.
Stephen <><
Old 04-07-2005, 08:11 AM
TFR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally posted by axel
Helios is the lightest, and the 3pk is just plain heavy. That's why i didn't like the 3pk
3PK is only around 4X grams heavier than the Helios with the same batteries install. Its roughly 8XX grams with batteries.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

M11 is now out. see ebay. i am waiting for a 40mhz version