Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RC Tuner Magazine

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 01:12 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by ByteStream
if the first issue is free, maybe a pdf download on the site would help to get the word out quicker.
This.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

For a first issue I'm very impressed. Looks incredibly professional and I like the extra effort that has been made on presentation and features with embedded video, extra pics etc. I look forward to reading future issues. Well done guys!

Paul
Old 11-13-2012, 01:20 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by IvVaum
how do u plan on attracting newbies like me to buy into the magazine...especially if it's by experienced tuners for other tuners...
Hello IvVaum: thank you and welcome to the Hobby (4k later, most of us can relate ) The magazine has been put together from a wide variety of contributors with varied experience levels including track ownership, club organizers, race event promoters, hobby shop owner, pro sponsored drivers, etc. and not a one of us are too good for anyone. The group of people we have working on this is no less than amazing and every one of them are putting their heart and time into passing on their experience and knowledge to everyone. So, the reality is that the magazine is for everyone at every experience level. The Free Preview Issue has a great article about choosing the right Touring Car body. Most experienced racers have a good idea of what works for them, but if you're a newbie (and into TC) it's perfect for you. The upcoming December issue has a Soldering 101 How-To style article complete with slideshows and video. Those are just a few examples and we plan to have great how-to stuff in every single issue. Additionally, the Free Preview has a great article about the new S411 Sport just released. I would consider that more for the experienced guys out there. So, we are really trying to have something for everyone.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:19 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCTunerMag
Hello IvVaum: thank you and welcome to the Hobby (4k later, most of us can relate ) The magazine has been put together from a wide variety of contributors with varied experience levels including track ownership, club organizers, race event promoters, hobby shop owner, pro sponsored drivers, etc. and not a one of us are too good for anyone. The group of people we have working on this is no less than amazing and every one of them are putting their heart and time into passing on their experience and knowledge to everyone. So, the reality is that the magazine is for everyone at every experience level. The Free Preview Issue has a great article about choosing the right Touring Car body. Most experienced racers have a good idea of what works for them, but if you're a newbie (and into TC) it's perfect for you. The upcoming December issue has a Soldering 101 How-To style article complete with slideshows and video. Those are just a few examples and we plan to have great how-to stuff in every single issue. Additionally, the Free Preview has a great article about the new S411 Sport just released. I would consider that more for the experienced guys out there. So, we are really trying to have something for everyone.
Yeah, I spoke a little too early before I went and downloaded it. I have to admit I like it (just a quick skim through of course...will dive into it later). I like the fact that it's interactive and filled with animated "stuff" (to best describe it)...from what i've seen...i really like it...please just don't charge an absorbent amount of money for it...(gotta have readers in order to put up the ADs right???)...

do you guys have any idea on pricing for subscription?...i hope u guys realize that u have some stiff competition from forums such as this...even though these forums are not as specific as ur articles....they do give quite a bit of information...and they are interactive in which instant gratification is achieved instead of "waiting" for an article...but with that being said....there are readers like me who still enjoy an indepth article.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:23 PM
Tech Rookie

Hi CarbonJoe, Serzoni, etc. - one of our main goals with this magazine was to deliver a completely new user experience. We believe in pushing the limits of media & publishing and making it available to everyone. We believe that it would be awesome to read a magazine in bed, on the couch, on an airplane, etc. We think it would be awesome to read about a new motor or kit (insert whatever you like) and watch slide shows and videos of those products in use. We believe that it would be great to be able to tap a button and have the ability to buy whatever I'm reading about in the article. All without leaving the page of the magazine. You simply can't get that from a PDF or print or even a laptop for that matter. You can come close with a computer or laptop with the technology yes, but you can't get the same user experience. I hate lugging my laptop on a plane or anywhere now, let alone sitting at a desktop machine.

So, with RC Tuner you have all of the above and for significantly less money than print. As I mentioned earlier, we know that not everyone has an iPad. We expect the January issue to be the first multi-platform issue. We had to start somewhere.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:37 PM
Tech Rookie

do you guys have any idea on pricing for subscription?...i hope u guys realize that u have some stiff competition from forums such as this...even though these forums are not as specific as ur articles....they do give quite a bit of information...and they are interactive in which instant gratification is achieved instead of "waiting" for an article...but with that being said....there are readers like me who still enjoy an indepth article.
Hi IvVaum: I'm glad that you like it so far, it's just a taste of what's coming too

We did a lot of research to see what people like & don't like in a digital publication. We found a few unanimous things -
1. People really don't like to download a digital magazine only to find that it's a duplicate of a print version, basically a flat PDF "copy"
2. People hate apps and issues that don't function as you would expect them too
3. People don't like to pay newsstand prices for a digital "copy"

We believe that everyone should have access to the latest technology and media. We looked at the three points above and did the opposite.
The single issue price is going to be $1.99 and annual subscriptions will be $14.99. The annual subscription will include everything we publish in a 12-month period. We expect to release 12 monthly issues and 3 special editions (like buyer's guide, photo issue, video issue, etc.) per year. So you should get at least 15 issues in a subscription.

Last edited by RCTunerMag; 11-13-2012 at 04:06 PM. Reason: typed original post on my phone...spelling errors
Old 11-13-2012, 02:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

You DO realize that you can embed videos, slideshows, and links into a PDF, right?
Old 11-13-2012, 02:48 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Serzoni
You DO realize that you can embed videos, slideshows, and links into a PDF, right?
oh come on....give these guys a break...they really do have a solid product here...i get where they're going with this...and i like it...

u know as well as i do that in this digital age...everyone wants a free buck...and pdfs can and have been copied and distributed freely all over the web...i'm sure these guys have taken that into consideration and have gone the route they did....from what i've seen....they have seriously put some thought into it...i give them kudos for it!

and it's only a few bucks...come on...help out this hobby...if we don't...it's going to fade away...around here...there's not a single track in sight in which you can race...there's a reason why there ain't much manufacturers out there...it's cos everyone wants a free ride...(i'm guilty too but don't mind paying for quality product).
Old 11-13-2012, 02:59 PM
Tech Adept

Hi IvVaum: I'm glad that you like it do far, it's just a taste of what's coming too

We did a lot of research to see what people like & don't like in a digital publication. We found a few unanimous things -
1. People really don't like to download a digital magazine only to find that it's a duplicate of a print version, basically a flat PDF "copy"
2. People hate apps and issues that don't function as you would expect them too
3. People don't like to pay newsstand prices for a digital "copy"

We believe that everyone should have access to the latest technology and media. We looked at the three points above and did the opposite.
The single issue price is going to be $1.99 and annual subscriptions will be $14.99. The annual subscription will include everything we publish in a 12-month period. We expect to release 12 monthly issues and 3 special editions (like buyer's guide, photo issue, video issue, etc.) per year. So you should get at least 15 issues in a subscription.
have u guys already "printed" out the 12 or 15 issues already?...and if it doesn't go well...those of us who have subscribed annually...are we going to get our money back?...
Old 11-13-2012, 03:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

The current Free Preview Issue works on all iPads including the mini.
I'm sure it looks great by all accounts

Unfortunately, many of us will never know
Thanks for the reply
Old 11-13-2012, 04:01 PM
Tech Champion

Hi RedBullFiXX - We realize that although the iPad is the current market leader in tablets, it's not the only tablet out there. Also, there is no real way of knowing what is the most popular tablet in RC. We started with the iPad for 2 reasons - 1. It's the dominant tablet as far as overall numbers and we want to reach as many people as possible (of course). 2. The iPad offers a user experience that's hard to ignore. We didn't want to just create another magazine, we wanted to create a whole new experience. Having said that, the iPad was never going to be the only tablet we publish for, just the first. We are hoping to have RC Tuner available on Kindle and Android devices in January. The current Free Preview Issue works on all iPads including the mini.
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
I'm sure it looks great by all accounts

Unfortunately, many of us will never know
Thanks for the reply
Until there is an Android or PC version I know I won't be able to check it out.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:22 PM
Tech Rookie

InspGadgt & RedBullFiXX - Hi guys, one of the things that we are doing that we believe is very different from any other publishing company (from any industry) is that we have made ourselves available for feedback, comments, constructive criticism, whatever. Believe me, we hear you, we have always planned on publishing to more than the iPad. Like I said, that was just first considering the market share. Prior to launch we knew that not everyone would have an iPad and we want our product in as many hands as possible - like any publisher would want. Another thing you have to realize is that this is all very new, to everyone. This is like watching the Minority Report movie ten years ago and then using tablets and touch screens the next week. It's just not common yet. However, we do believe that this is the future of publishing and we want to be at the forefront. In a time when print media is dwindling away (I don't belive it will ever go away completely) we are striving to be the first and the very best in this new medium. Many standards are going to come and go in the years to come. Which is another reason for the iPad first...do you realize how many screen sizes and tablet pixel dimensions are available today? It's astounding and you have to design and publish to accommodate for each of them. But make no mistake, print is suffering. Newsweek is printing their last issue next month, they are going 100% digital. Extreme R/C Magazine...gone (sold and regrouped for web as far as I know). R/C Car Magazine...gone.

On this point, we hear you loud and clear and if you don't have a tablet yet we believe that you eventually will. Maybe you needed a better reason to own one. Maybe now that your hobby has a dedicated publication designed for tablets it may help you decide to get one. We believe that this is the future realized today and when you are ready, we will have the magazine for you and your passion.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I don't see a tablet in the foreseeable future at home or work

They are not as functional, or compatible will the features I need, furthermore, imo, they are uncomfortable to use, and have weak wifi, compared to a quality laptop

but hey, my mom loves her ipad
Old 11-13-2012, 04:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I think its great, really like the content and the presentation.

The contributors, well.......lol, I think I have actually exchanged words with them before, great guys, even Art! jk (Still can't get a nice diff feel, but the bearing is holding on nicely. Appreciate the honest opinion though.)

For future articles, I'd like to see some more in depth looks at the winners cars, sort of like what RedRC is doing for the Gas race right now, but a little more information about the cars, maybe a link to a setup sheet and any out of the ordinary options on the cars.

This will go well with my "Setup HD" download from Martin Crisp.......oh yeah, only on I-pad too.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:43 PM
Tech Rookie

oh come on....give these guys a break...they really do have a solid product here...i get where they're going with this...and i like it...

u know as well as i do that in this digital age...everyone wants a free buck...and pdfs can and have been copied and distributed freely all over the web...i'm sure these guys have taken that into consideration and have gone the route they did....from what i've seen....they have seriously put some thought into it...i give them kudos for it!

and it's only a few bucks...come on...help out this hobby...if we don't...it's going to fade away...around here...there's not a single track in sight in which you can race...there's a reason why there ain't much manufacturers out there...it's cos everyone wants a free ride...(i'm guilty too but don't mind paying for quality product).
Again, thank you for the kudos and glad to hear you say "...and i like it..." - that's what we all want to hear and appreciate that you like the work that we all put into this. You do present a few very valid points and I'll mention some of the ways we plan to address these as an industry publication -

"it's going to fade away" - We were recently at the iHobby Expo in Cleveland, OH and attended a meeting in which a few industry folks were discussing what's happening in our industry. A major concern was lack of attendance to the show itself. Now there are many reasons and I won't make my (already long) posts any longer but I will say that I believe the industry overall is getting more global as opposed to local. You can buy direct from overseas where a few years ago that was difficult at best. The local shops make a complaint that they can't compete with big online retailers (from the USA or overseas suppliers).

What are we doing about it? As a publisher we are trying to level the playing field for everyone in the industry. Hey, we are media and we are here for everyone - the consumers, the retailers, the distributors and the manufacturers - we are like the "go between" for the whole industry. At least that's how we are looking at it. Which is precisely why we are making our pricing affordable for everyone. For consumers, you can't beat it. I just paid $7.99 for a print magazine. RC Tuner Magazine issues will be $1.99 at full retail and about 50% off as a subscriber. As a retailer if you want to step up your game and sell to a market outside of your local zip code but could never afford advertising in the past, now you can. As a manufacturer or distributor the same applies. If we all collaborate, everybody wins.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.