Wiki Posts
Search

battery connectors

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 10:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (92%+)
Post battery connectors

hey all, recently i have been seeing alot of the battery connections hard wired. i run the corally style plugs.

i was just wonder what other people run and if some one has gone from a plug to hard wire. and why did you?

also i was wondering what do u use for the metal connectors for the hard wiring? is it like a bent battery bar or something like that?
Old 03-30-2005, 11:19 PM
Tech Adept

Default Re: battery connectors

Originally posted by murfy
hey all, recently i have been seeing alot of the battery connections hard wired. i run the corally style plugs.

i was just wonder what other people run and if some one has gone from a plug to hard wire. and why did you?

also i was wondering what do u use for the metal connectors for the hard wiring? is it like a bent battery bar or something like that?

Ive been using deans plugs for years.. since ive used them for so long I havent changed them to anything else. But for hard wiring just solder on two battery bars and bend them into place.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:21 AM
Tech Elite

Much-More Racing do a pre-bent battery end bar which looks a lot neater if you want to hardwire - useful if you want to mount the Corallies away from the side of the pack too.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

one reason for doing it is corally style plugs can come loose if they dont have the propper fit ending your race pretty quickly.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

i had the corrally plugs for a while, Loved them but had one come loose just once and at the same day I had just bought a new Hakko solderign station and that was the last time I used the corally type plugs. Since the Hakko puts out the heat it is easy to wire up my batteries now.
Thats the only reason why I quit using them...They failed once....thats is all it takes...
Stephen <><
Old 03-31-2005, 08:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

to prevent corally type connectors from being unplugged accidentally, you can secure them with reusable twist ties. i use this on my xxx4 and you know how offroad cars take a pounding (especially how i drive ) you can use the twist tie to anchor the male plug into the female plug - i tie the battery wire from the esc to the battery strap of my xxx4 so it wont be pulled off the battery plug
Old 03-31-2005, 09:55 AM
Tech Addict

DEANS.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:05 AM
Tech Adept

I use Trinity Gold leads and connectors (hollow gold tubes). They came with the cars that I bought and work great. Here's a link to an example:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXTJ21&P=M

If I had a good soldering station I'd probably just direct connect.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:39 AM
Tech Addict

i have an xray 04 and that means that the batteries are saddle packs. which mean the deans i was used to using was quite difficult to use. (upper deck gets in the way) so i just switched to hard wiring. keeps the wires so much neater too.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:03 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by grazianos
I use Trinity Gold leads and connectors (hollow gold tubes). They came with the cars that I bought and work great. Here's a link to an example:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXTJ21&P=M

If I had a good soldering station I'd probably just direct connect.
Those are also know as Corally style connectors.

I originally started using them because they were shown in the instruction manual for my first Xray kit. I still use them. I have never had one come out, they seem to fit together very tight. They are better than Deans because they are much smaller and lighter. Don't let anyone tell you that there is power lost in a connector, that is false. In fact, most good connectors like these and Deans have less resistance than the actual wire itself

A nice clean install:
Old 04-01-2005, 10:06 AM
Tech Addict

those connectors are nice. but the reason most people say hard wiring is less resistance is because with connectors such as deans, although same resistance as the wire itsself, the wires tend to get longer when you use connectors that the pos and neg are stuck together. if they were individual they shouldnt be very much difference in resistance.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:16 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by greencactus3
those connectors are nice. but the reason most people say hard wiring is less resistance is because with connectors such as deans, although same resistance as the wire itsself, the wires tend to get longer when you use connectors that the pos and neg are stuck together. if they were individual they shouldnt be very much difference in resistance.
That's because most people just buy those premade Deans pigtails that are 4 inches long. If you trim the wires and get creative you could use Deans plugs with no longer wires than any other install. Then the only issue with Deans might be the extra weight because they are kinda bulky.

With my install in the picture there is no difference in wire length or configuration if I was soldering the batteries. As someone already pointed out earlier in this thread they just clipped the Corally plugs off and soldered the wires.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:17 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Qwiglee
Don't let anyone tell you that there is power lost in a connector, that is false. In fact, most good connectors like these and Deans have less resistance than the actual wire itself

this is almost a lie, and before you flame me, hear me out, a male and female deans plugged together is about 1-1 1/4 inches long., take a 1 - 1 1/4 piece of wire, resistance maybe be lower in the deans as advertised and repeated everywhere. (had a guy tell me at a hobby hobby show that his connectors had less resistance then a hard wired solder joint) maybe be true, but heres the problem. in order to use the deans plugs or any other plug. YOU HAVE TO SOLDER IT TO A WIRE. TWICE. so while you installed a device that lowers resistance over that 1 inch, you have two (actually 4) solder joints that more than take away any saving. but to tell the real truth, none of us are good enough to tell the difference anyway.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:20 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Turtlemaster
...but to tell the real truth, none of us are good enough to tell the difference anyway.
That really is the point I think.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:22 AM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by Qwiglee
That's because most people just buy those premade Deans pigtails that are 4 inches long. If you trim the wires and get creative you could use Deans plugs with no longer wires than any other install. Then the only issue with Deans might be the extra weight because they are kinda bulky.

With my install in the picture there is no difference in wire length or configuration if I was soldering the batteries. As someone already pointed out earlier in this thread they just clipped the Corally plugs off and soldered the wires.
no not really. for example. a fk04. saddle pack. so if you were to use deans, the wire from one side would have to go all the way under the upper deck and meet up with the other side of the batt's wire, and then join to the plug. (i dont think very many people want to bother with taking the upper deck eache time, if they were, then yes it would be the same length but itd be easier to hardwire than take the upper off each time to change a batt.) so unless you cut the deans plug in half the wires will tend to get longer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.