Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OFNA GT-V2e 1/8 GT

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 02:18 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jstall7543
YES! Your going all in J! I took my car out for a test hit today. I found what looked like it would be a absolutely perfect road but it had a slight crown to it and that really showed how loose my steering is so now I'm off to install the Jato links and whatever else I can find wrong. It seems like this keeps getting harder at this point. Ever since I put the GRP's on my car it has been really sketchy. I'm going to get another set of rear x0-1 tires and glue the crap out of them even though they have a ton of glue already on them. I've got some work to do!
Hi Jstall, consider the Alpha Slicks from IGT Hobbies, tested over 100mph from the manufacture.I ran them at 98mph many times .They are well constructed,grip well and no extra glue needed.They are taller than GRP's, but not as tall as the Xo1.Going to use them on my next run,i think they will get me to 125.Ordered two more Warrior Bodies,going to play around with some ideas.
Attached Thumbnails OFNA GT-V2e 1/8 GT-picture-126-large-.jpg   OFNA GT-V2e 1/8 GT-picture-130-large-.jpg  

Last edited by ckhaber; 08-10-2013 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ckhaber
Hi Jstall, consider the Alpha Slicks from IGT Hobbies, tested over 100mph from the manufacture.I ran them at 98mph many times .They are well constructed,grip well and no extra glue needed.They are taller than GRP's, but not as tall as the Xo1.Going to use them on my next run,i think they will get me to 125.Ordered two more Warrior Bodies,going to play around with some ideas.
Chris, Those Alphas might be just what I'm looking for thanks for the tip. I also wanted to tell you the Jato links work really nice! Also the ca on the hinge pins worked just as you described and now my front end has very minimal slop and no binding. I've got to buy a new steering rack bacause the holes are so tapered adding slop the looser I run it the more slop it adds.

Mantis any idea when the steering rack with the bearings will be available? I need a replacement asap as the stock rack kinda sucks.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:01 AM
Tech Elite

Chris what compound alphas would you reccomend for 60 to 90deg weather. Just for speed runs.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:05 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up

Chris, Those Alphas might be just what I'm looking for thanks for the tip. I also wanted to tell you the Jato links work really nice! Also the ca on the hinge pins worked just as you described and now my front end has very minimal slop and no binding. I've got to buy a new steering rack bacause the holes are so tapered adding slop the looser I run it the more slop it adds.

Mantis any idea when the steering rack with the bearings will be available? I need a replacement asap as the stock rack kinda sucks.
Happy to hear that,glad to help.Yes, the steering i addressed also.Drilled out the holes and bushed with brass tubing.Getting tight tolerances is a real nuisance.Chris.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:08 AM
Tech Apprentice

Chris what compound alphas would you reccomend for 60 to 90deg weather. Just for speed runs.
Not knowing to much about tires, i purchased med.The weather here is hot,32C when i run.Road surface must be 30% higher.My GRP,s after a doz. runs have lost there strength.They were getting flat spots just from sitting on the bench,tire compound must have gone south.I ordered another set,i still like and trust these tires but will mix it up a bit with the Alphas.Chris

Last edited by ckhaber; 08-10-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

Questions?? Ofna GTV2e

G,i hope we haven't highjacked this thread for speed runs only,i'm really interested in what people are doing on the Street and Track.Hope we can keep diversity.Cheers Chris.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:32 PM
Tech Initiate

Does the Jato links come complete with rod ends and metal rods or do I reuse my stock ones? I'm trying to get rid of the slop as well for my track car. Does the links completely get rid of the wheel slop?

I just installed RCShox arm braces, dual stage pistons and rear toe block. Going to order more stuff from Marcus when bodies, steering rack arrives. Can't wait to test her out later tonight!

Also having difficulty looking for stiffer spring options. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-10-2013, 01:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by ac555
Does the Jato links come complete with rod ends and metal rods or do I reuse my stock ones? I'm trying to get rid of the slop as well for my track car. Does the links completely get rid of the wheel slop?

I just installed RCShox arm braces, dual stage pistons and rear toe block. Going to order more stuff from Marcus when bodies, steering rack arrives. Can't wait to test her out later tonight!

Also having difficulty looking for stiffer spring options. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
There are a few ways to remove most of the slop, the ballbearing ackerman bar will help alot but alot of that slop comes from space in between the hex and the outside bearing SErpent makes a shim set that is 8x11x.2mm. you use two or three on each side, same in the rear but usually just one. Another trick is to take 500k or 1million grease and pack the tie rod ends before you snap the ball, although temporary it works for a long time. If you guys look on the TeamC thread I did a little pictorial of my latest turnkey build and addressed the slop issue. pay close attention to my details on the C hub Screws, BIG difference there

Spring wise Serpent springs fit the front and TEamC just release a hard spring kit for the front and rear.

I have been reading all of you guy's progress and its pretty cool! A trick that you can do to determine how much suspension travel you are using is to simply install tight orings on the shock shaft above the spring perch. what this will do is tell you how low your car goes during a run and you can adjust!! I think the blow over thing has alot to do with the rear of the car lowering more than the front and letting air get under the chassis. If this is true the O ring test will let you know and then you can pre-load the rear a few mm to keep this from happening.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

I fried a spindle motor on my CNC mill yesterday so i will be backed up a few days but they will be ready by the end of the week and the bodies are due here at my shop wed according to fedex....busy week for me!!
Old 08-10-2013, 01:59 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ckhaber
Not knowing to much about tires, i purchased med.The weather here is hot,32C when i run.Road surface must be 30% higher.Chris
Not wanting to start a "ruckus" on tires here, so please, lets strictly deal with science & physics.

Since the majority of the conversations being discussed here are top-speed related topics, let’s focus there and the laws of physics that determine the science behind any rubber’s effectiveness at speed.

Things to consider are different shore rubber, their ability to manage the culmination of heat generated by motor torque, road surface temperature, asphalt texture and high speed wind resistance induced tire slip. These variables hold true, regardless of manufacture or brand.

The harder the rubber shore, the greater heat management properties it will have and the longer it can maintain it. This doesn’t mean that the hardest rubber shores are always most desirable, but rubber shores that are too soft for their intended application or the operating conditions they will experience is not always best either.

The type or firmness of a tire’s foam insert also attributes to any rubber shore’s heat management abilities, the duration of time they can maintain effective traction and the amount of tire life they will provide.

Soft foam insert allows rubber to reach higher temperatures faster than a harder foam insert. Softer foam inserts are sometimes desirable in drag or road racing track racing applications during short runs or qualifying scenarios of the shorter duration and lower operating speeds; where mechanical grip seems the primary concern.

Unfortunately soft foam inserts are more prone to excessive hear build up, loss of extended traction (due to overheating), greater rolling resistance and rapid tire wear. Harder foam inserts provide more gradual heat generation, less rolling resistance and longer tire life.

When rubber is overheated it becomes greasy, loses traction and eventually begins to melt; once again it’s physics on action. In order to optimize traction, durability and tire life, one must consider the many different variables a car’s tires will be experiencing and it’s also good to equate foam inserts with simulated tire air pressure.

Try thinking of foam insets as follows: soft insert=low air pressure and hard inserts=high air pressure. So, in regards to top speed running, more simulated tire air pressure will result in lower friction and reduced rolling resistance for greater top speed efficiency.

The laws of physics regarding rubber properties are evident in full size car and should be considered too.

Just look at the differences between drag racing, road racing and top speed racing, none use the same types of tires for good reason. Drag slicks are super soft, hook up great, but wear out very fast.

Road race or Nascar tires are harder because they must endure more time usage between tire changes.

Top speed tires are typically harder because of their ability to maintain effectiveness, reduced rolling resistance and safety over the long haul.

Sorry for the long post, but there’s a lot of science to consider when talking about tires. I hope this post helps some of you to better understand some of it all. Take care!
Old 08-10-2013, 02:05 PM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

YES! Your going all in J!
I figure since most all top speed racers agree on the effectiveness of the Warrior body, I feel I owe it to all of you to experiment and try to find ways to increase it's performance and hope to have some fun too.

Thanks fellas!
Old 08-10-2013, 02:27 PM
Tech Elite

J, a variance in temperatures of 60 to 90 degrees is pretty extreme, there isn’t any one shore rubber that can be 100% effective in that climate range; don’t let anyone try to fool you otherwise.

Just remember cold temps = soft rubber/inserts, while hot temps = hard rubber/inserts and you’ll be alright.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:21 PM
Tech Elite

I ordered "belted soft" compound grp's, they were the highest shore bruckners had witch is still pretty soft over all. I can tell they were getting warm. Grp's seem to have a pretty unique compound. I want to try Alphas and Ipanemas tires soon.

I wound up making a temporary steering link by useing a tierod and a couple of shock eyelets. Works awesome zero slop for now. The only slop I do have now is as mantis mentioned is the stub axles. I'll order some washers for that too. I also did a expirement where I pulled both rear arms off the car and put foil tape on the bottom of each arm and then filled the pockets with hot glue. It did eliminate some flex and added a little weight. I'm curious to see how it drives now.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Lightbulb

I ordered "belted soft" compound grp's, they were the highest shore bruckners had witch is still pretty soft over all. I can tell they were getting warm. Grp's seem to have a pretty unique compound. I want to try Alphas and Ipanemas tires soon.

I wound up making a temporary steering link by useing a tierod and a couple of shock eyelets. Works awesome zero slop for now. The only slop I do have now is as mantis mentioned is the stub axles. I'll order some washers for that too. I also did a expirement where I pulled both rear arms off the car and put foil tape on the bottom of each arm and then filled the pockets with hot glue. It did eliminate some flex and added a little weight. I'm curious to see how it drives now.
Same tires i used,ordered a new set along with two Warrior bodies.Good thinking by the way.Where can i purchase items that Mantis is offering ? Chris.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jspeed
I figure since most all top speed racers agree on the effectiveness of the Warrior body, I feel I owe it to all of you to experiment and try to find ways to increase it's performance and hope to have some fun too.

Thanks fellas!
R&D,got to love it.Thanks Jeff.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.