Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
OFNA GT-V2e 1/8 GT >

OFNA GT-V2e 1/8 GT

OFNA GT-V2e 1/8 GT

Old 08-01-2013, 09:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

So, you guys that are doing the high-speed runs, let a novice to your world ask a few questions.

What are the typical cells batteries that you guys are using?

What are the motor/ESC combinations that you guys are using?

Where do you get the device I see that registers and records the speed that I see you guys have onboard your cars?

What are the spur/pinion gears that you are using to hit some of those ridiculous speeds?

I have a Kyosho Inferno VE that I converted to an electric onroad car a couple of years ago. I have the body and tires I know that will withstand the high speeds you guys are hitting. Just need to know what else I need if I decide to join the "Highspeed GT Club".
Old 08-01-2013, 09:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

This was about 10 years ago but I built this car, took me about a year to get it to the track, ran about a dozen 9.0/9.1's and just could not get it into the 8's. Twin 62mm garrets,twin rotary on methanol made 715 at the wheels on a dynojet with a C4 tranny (not effecient on a dyno). At any rate it just would not budge so I flat paneled the bottom of the car and added this style wing, the car picked up 7mph and i got into the high 8.8's @ 168MPH and the rear was more stable. normally at about 130mph it danced around a bit and i had a custom "GT" style wing at that time.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:59 AM
Tech Elite

That's nice Marcus, like I said to you before, a flat pan is a good idea. Use your talents to make some plastic parts that are flexible and won't break. Easy for you right?

These are the carbon parts I was talking about to the previous post.

Injected plastic is the answer for those pans, anything else is will break or slow the car down. Check the date of this video, been there and done that, period.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJkkjajnhIg

.................................................. ..............................................

For the rest of us wanting to reach serious Top-Speeds with our GT cars this September, get those Warriors ready for action!!!
Attached Thumbnails OFNA GT-V2e 1/8 GT-1-warriors-read-action.jpg  
Old 08-01-2013, 10:14 AM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JLock
So, you guys that are doing the high-speed runs, let a novice to your world ask a few questions.

What are the typical cells batteries that you guys are using?

What are the motor/ESC combinations that you guys are using?

Where do you get the device I see that registers and records the speed that I see you guys have onboard your cars?

What are the spur/pinion gears that you are using to hit some of those ridiculous speeds?

I have a Kyosho Inferno VE that I converted to an electric onroad car a couple of years ago. I have the body and tires I know that will withstand the high speeds you guys are hitting. Just need to know what else I need if I decide to join the "Highspeed GT Club".
I'm building one too, the Top Speed racers are having a lot of fun.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWXNdQ4Ptl8

I would check to see if the stock VE speed control can handle 6 cells. If it can Ipanema Top Speed Club member johnracerx just went 128 mph on 6 cells and a pretty inexpensive motor.

Not the fastest of his runs, but impressive none the least. Good way to get started, on the cheap!!

+ YouTube Video

I like the Garman set-up for recording speeds, but the Bushnell gun is good too.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:55 AM
Tech Champion

1.5mm lexan will work good enough! at least for trial and error, Aero is not always what it seems.IF the lexan body can take it so can the underbody, no reason for it not to.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

JLock
most of whats being done is a matter of pref..im using dual 3s 65-130c batteries, castle mamba monster set up. but there are guys out there doing it with all types of setups.. best thing i could tell you do what most of us newbies to speed runs do.. theres a few good guys on youtube that will help, Johnracerx is probably the best at it, hitting 146 with one of his setups. and he dosent mind helping and giving advice. look him up. watch his videos and most importantly ask if your not sure.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:41 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MantisWorx
1.5mm lexan will work good enough! at least for trial and error, Aero is not always what it seems.IF the lexan body can take it so can the underbody, no reason for it not to.
That's all you got, really?
No, those carbon-fiber parts in the video looked cool, nothing?

Ok, marcus, go ahead and make them out of lexan, I'm sure you'll sell plenty of them, but until you do, just know this fact, the Warrior is the Top-Speed body, period, and as you like to say in other threads......

Its here to stay, embrace it
Attached Thumbnails OFNA GT-V2e 1/8 GT-johns-yellow-ipanema-warrior-gt-body-1.jpg  
Old 08-01-2013, 11:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I like that areo package, I've already been thinking about that. Great info Jspeed!
Old 08-01-2013, 11:52 AM
Tech Elite

This was about 10 years ago but I built this car, took me about a year to get it to the track, ran about a dozen 9.0/9.1's and just could not get it into the 8's. Twin 62mm garrets,twin rotary on methanol made 715 at the wheels on a dynojet with a C4 tranny (not effecient on a dyno). At any rate it just would not budge so I flat paneled the bottom of the car and added this style wing, the car picked up 7mph and i got into the high 8.8's @ 168MPH and the rear was more stable. normally at about 130mph it danced around a bit and i had a custom "GT" style wing at that time.
That car is sick! 8.8 @ 168mph is definitely something to be proud of!
Old 08-01-2013, 12:36 PM
Tech Elite

Part of the fun I'm having with doing speed runs is doing things my way and learning as I go. I could hit up Johnracerx but then I wouldn't be doing it my way you know what I mean. Building the car and making costly mistakes has made this project a blast for me. I've been in off road rc since 95. In 95 I stopped by a hobby shop and bought a used traxxas rustler, this wasn't the rustler we know today, this thing had a servo driven esc and it was a total piece of you know what so I sold that and bought a xxt and proceded to dump about $2000 into it with all the carbon and ti upgrades and sanyo matched cells. Novak tempest hyperfet 2 cost me about $300 lol. I still have the all carbon/titanium xxt in a box in the garage. I put a brushless system In it and took it to my local track and it was still very fast passing sc trucks like they were nothing but due to how rare the parts are I don't run it anymore. Sorry about the rant lol.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:18 PM
Tech Elite

Ya, I was thinking 3mm carbon side plates is what I want to do, they would bolt on in place of the factory side guards, maybe drill a couple extra holes etc... pretty much like the xo-1 side plates. I wonder hmmm I wonder how wide the xo-1 metal part of the chassis is? I'm thinking a much higher percentage of the air Is moving over the top of the car and as speed increases the down force lowers the car even more and less air gets underneath especially when using a splitter like I am now. But I still want to do the sides mainly to be able to velcro the sides of the body area. I know carbon would cost more but I think it would be worth it over lexan.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:24 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Jspeed
That's all you got, really?
No, those carbon-fiber parts in the video looked cool, nothing?

Ok, marcus, go ahead and make them out of lexan, I'm sure you'll sell plenty of them, but until you do, just know this fact, the Warrior is the Top-Speed body, period, and as you like to say in other threads......

I am not producing anything, I have my hands full already with the GT stuff and the other 10 classes i race on a regular basis. I am only putting out ideas.

Looks mean nothing if it does not perform, my point on the lexan was that you need to prototype and test before a final version which you can make out of whatever you want. its much quicker and easier to cut some lexan than to draw it up in CAD, program the machine and then machine.You of all people should understand that!

Thats debate able on the best high speed body, the back of the body is too high, It may be the easiest to slap on and go fast though. and since right now everyone is worried about making enough power to get there it is working, like you said before that body is designed for GT racing not high speed runs!! I may just take Jstall under my wing to prove a point
Old 08-01-2013, 01:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

Jstall
I get what your saying but as a starting point i think watching and asking the questions helps. believe me when i tell you i have asked the questions and have still made a few costly mistakes. its just good to have someone you can ask when you get stuck. yes it is fun getting there on your own. but keeping cost down if possible is also fun.. especially when u can use the savings to buy more toys.. lol
Old 08-01-2013, 02:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jspeed
Nice video Jstall.

Chris, thanks for the kind words, great to hear the Warrior is helping to make running more fun for you too. So, 8 to 10 mph improvement in top speeds huh?

Its awesome, considering the body was originally designed for on-road track racing almost 6 years ago. Nice to see people enjoying it with top-speed runs too.

Thanks for trying out the Warrior GT body and not listening to all those haters!

Have fun!
98mph GT2 Mclaren, 109mph Warrior.Setup # 2, 80mph Mclaren 87mph Warrior with a Gopro mounted on the roof !!. Its a no brainer.I don't know anything about any Haters,but if anyone has doubts about my numbers then challenge me.Cheers Chris
Old 08-01-2013, 02:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Huye_TECH
Hi people. I have some ? Does anyone tried to swap front/rear diffs from a dm1e to a gtv2? They can be swapped? Does that can help for those speed runs?
You don't want to do that, the Dm1 diffs are slow, the Gtp has the better diffs for high speed.If you own a gtv2e then i would buy the optional high speed diffs.Cheers Chris.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.