Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree7Likes

Team Associated RC10R5.1 FT World GT

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 12:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

I would go with the 6040 then from Spektrum. It is way stronger and a lot faster than the 5010... I use the Graupner DES676BB which is the same servo as the Airtronics 94819. Small, fast and strong enough...
Old 11-12-2012, 12:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default 10R5.1 Build Tips

Im sure some of you will be building your new cars soon.

Here are some build tips that might help someone.

Chassis rails: The manual shows a tip for installing the nut inserts into the chassis rails. Add a 7-8mm O.D. washer on the button head screw and use it to install the inserts. Dont fully tighten the rails to the chassis until you have the rails in place.

Until a different front pin brace solution comes along, you can make a brace with chassis standoffs(#8535 and #4699), ballstud spacers and long set-screws. You will need to size the length of the brace to fit your upper arm length.

For carpet racing: The kit setup is a good starting, but add inline axles. If grip is high, try adding 2mm to the front upper arm length.

I cant believe the corner-speed the car has!

Last edited by Maybell; 11-12-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Can anyone elaborate on what the difference are between the R5 and the R5.1? Been looking around some and can't seem to find a straight answer. Glad to see more/newer WGT chassis in the mix!
Old 11-12-2012, 01:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by walterhenderson
I am using Spektrum 5010 heli servos in all my pan cars.

Not sure on the weight, haven't weighted it yet. I am sure it is close. It does have screw holes in the chassis for ballest weight.
I am going to run the 5020. Looks like its the same size but twice as fast with about 1/3 less torque. They are metal gear and sell for $50.

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...dID=SPMSH5020G

The 6040 is a heavy full size servo. I don't think it will fit. WGT cars run mini servos like 1/12th cars. You dont need more than 30in/oz of torque (2.0 kg/cm) for pan cars no matter how fast you go with them.

Last edited by AdrianM; 11-12-2012 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by mkiiina
Can anyone elaborate on what the difference are between the R5 and the R5.1? Been looking around some and can't seem to find a straight answer. Glad to see more/newer WGT chassis in the mix!
Please tell me that you are kidding about that question???

Google some pictures of both cars, take a good look and find the differences...

- New main chassis with chassis stiffners
- R5.2 rear pod
- Different cross brace (split)
- Damper tubes
- Inline battery mounting with various battery mounting positions
- Different center damper top plate and shock tower
- Different front end mounting plate
- Pre drilled main chassis for balance weights
- R5.2 lower arm bulkheads
- New lower front arms
- Adjustable front width

I would say enough to go on... YES!!! It is a new car!!!

Last edited by Joost K.; 11-12-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Oh yeah, I think may car was 948 grams on the scale. It will lighten up nicely with a set of aluminum screws.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:56 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by mkiiina
The R5 was designed when we were still running round cells. The R5.1 uses the current inline mid battery configuration. The chassis is significantly different. It has chassis rails that will allow you to tune chassis flex. I plan on buying a 2nd set of rails and cutting them up so they only function as a battery locator if i feel i need chassis flex outdoors or on low bite carpet.

The R5 used a single side shock. The R5.1 uses damper tubes which are faster to make changes with and relate with what other racers are doing. In the past CRC, Speedmerchant and CEFX would be running 15K in the damper tubes and AE would be running 40wt in the center shock. It was hard to know if you were in the ball park.

The R5.1 pod allows easier access to the motor.

Sean beat me to it...lol!

Those are the big differences I see.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Joost K.
Please tell me that you are kidding about that question???

Google some pictures of both cars, take a good look and find the differences...

- New main chassis with chassis stiffners
- R5.2 rear pod
- Different cross brace (split)
- Damper tubes
- Inline battery mounting with various battery mounting positions
- Different center damper top plate and shock tower
- Different front end mounting plate
- Pre drilled main chassis for balance weights
- R5.2 lower arm bulkheads
- New lower front arms
- Adjustable front width

I would say enough to go on... YES!!! It is a new car!!!
I understand it is a new car and yes I can look at pictures and pick out major design differences. Perhaps I was not clear enough, allow me to add some background. I happen to run a CRC GEN X and comparing it to the the later model LE and some of the changes were large and easy to see, others were not as easily as visable. More on that point being that CRC released a conversion kit that allowed you to update your older X to a LE as there were some parts that changed but most of the major suspension components remained compatible between the 2.

From your list it would appear that this would not be the case with the R5 and would further like to add the open question of why did AE not simply version the car (R6) if it made such a large number of changes?
Old 11-12-2012, 02:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

If it is only about the name... Ask Team Associated. We don't know that. All we know is that this is an awesome new looking car!

A conversion for the 10R5 would be impossible because that would be the entire R5.1 kit LOL
Old 11-12-2012, 06:59 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by AdrianM
I am going to run the 5020. Looks like its the same size but twice as fast with about 1/3 less torque. They are metal gear and sell for $50.

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...dID=SPMSH5020G

The 6040 is a heavy full size servo. I don't think it will fit. WGT cars run mini servos like 1/12th cars. You dont need more than 30in/oz of torque (2.0 kg/cm) for pan cars no matter how fast you go with them.
I would wonder on that one, all of us that are running the spektrum stuff, are running the 5010, we have had very good luck, the cars are caring alot more corner speed, than even 2 years ago, that means they need more torque.
As far as the 6040 goes, ya it is a full size servo, that has torue for 5 1/12th cars!
Old 11-12-2012, 07:19 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by walterhenderson
I would wonder on that one, all of us that are running the spektrum stuff, are running the 5010, we have had very good luck, the cars are caring alot more corner speed, than even 2 years ago, that means they need more torque.
As far as the 6040 goes, ya it is a full size servo, that has torue for 5 1/12th cars!
It has 39 in/oz at 6v. Kimborough servos savers deflect at less than that. Even the big white one. I also asked a few guys here that have been using them for a year plus with no issues. Hopefully it will be ok.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by AdrianM
Oops... My bad, read it wrong. The 6040 is indeed a full size servo...
Old 11-13-2012, 05:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I believe that the chassis is slotted to accept a full size servo if that is what you wish to use. The mini servos work well for many years of racing and weighs less.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:51 PM
Tech Champion

I just got the tracking info for my kit. I should have it this time next week.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:49 AM
Tech Adept

Default MAYBELL

I awaiting delivery of my car should be in next 10 days .Little puzzled by the statement below.Could you explain further or provide so photos.Im running the 1/12th R5.2 in the Uk

Until a different front pin brace solution comes along, you can make a brace with chassis standoffs(#8535 and #4699), ballstud spacers and long set-screws. You will need to size the length of the brace to fit your upper arm length.

For carpet racing: The kit setup is a good starting, but add inline axles. If grip is high, try adding 2mm to the front upper arm length.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.