Wiki Posts
Search

Carpet racing video camera help

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 09:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default Carpet racing video camera help

Trying to figure out what might be a fairly inexpensive option for taking videos of our local carpet track races. Needs to be something fairly small, easy to use and could be set up high to cover the whole track and only be touched to start and stop the video. Would also be nice if it had decent sound or the option for a mic input (would prefer just decent sound. We have had a hard time finding someone to take the video because of prepping to race and not having time, and regular video cameras are difficult to elevate even to a point where the whole track is covered. Anyone know of any wide shot video? Maybe similar to a gopro? I'd love to have the Gopro black, but that's pushing it a bit.....
Old 10-25-2012, 10:31 PM
Tech Elite

This is my effort:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO5qfpvNFKw&feature=plcp

It was shot with one of these:

http://yourchoyce.shopperdeals.com.a...o-camera-15056

strapped with elastic band it comes with to my head so i could drive my car at the same time. The upside of course is that your car is always in the center of the frame. Comes with a crocodile bracket too. Keep in mind I used it indoors in difficult light (fluoro) which is why colours are crap. On an outdoor track, the image is quite good. Camera is half the size of a normal matchbox.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Sony has an action cam similar to go pro:

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/sto...52921666484197

Built in wifi, can be triggered to record from a smart phone, even change settings via the play memories app. You can also record 720p 60fps (or 120 if you want Slow mo).

Audio is the only real let down, as it will be with most of the action cam type camera's. You could record audio separately and mix it later?
Old 10-25-2012, 11:04 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Head mounted GoPro is the best. $200ish.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Would a go pro mounted be able to pic up the race calling and board taps well? Nevermind, just watched the video. It'd honestly be mounted up in a corner of the pits about 5 feet off the track and maybe 10 feet high. Anyone worked with the different go pro's to see if there is a huge difference between the high end and lower end cams? I'll check out that Sony, thanks.

Last edited by oceanhighz; 10-26-2012 at 05:10 AM.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I use a regular home video camera to record races. We have it mounted on a small platform that hangs from the drop ceiling. Since it's a normal camera it's not a very wide angle and it's not particularly high since our track is in a strip mall with common height ceilings. I would love to get a GoPro (or 3) Also, my camera isn't really an economical choice. It's HD and was quite pricey when I bought it (for family use). I work with what I got and although the point of view isn't optimal it's still fun to playback the racing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=8sXIGWNMjYU
Old 10-30-2012, 06:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Static cameras rarely if ever produce good videos. You want someone who will follow the action imo. Even cell phone video is better than a single camera pointed at a spot on the track.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have a brand new GoPro Hero 2 for sale. Comes with a LCD bacpak, WiFi Combo kit, Roll Bar mount, Chest strap, and Tripod mount.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:19 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Odin544
Static cameras rarely if ever produce good videos. You want someone who will follow the action imo. Even cell phone video is better than a single camera pointed at a spot on the track.
Agreed. Not great video but better than nothing. A stationary camera is just easy to do and doesn't tie anybody up. Plus, each driver can watch their entire race and their lines beginning to end. Having the entire track in view is more about being informative, rather than entertaining. Ideally having multiple cameras running simultaneously would be nice if one doesn't mind the post-production work, then the entertainment aspect can be raised a bit.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Unless the camera is up really high its useless for seeing your lines.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

best for seeing you lines is have the camera in the center of the track up high pointed straight down. Not sure how high something like a go pro will have to be for the entire track to be in view.