Wiki Posts
Search

Tamiya Mini M-05

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 02:34 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Tamiya Mini M-05

Hi all
Finally got round to building my M-05 Mini cooper after its been sat for 10 months!

Anyway, after cutting the body shell incorrectly( i cut off the wheel arches by accident so now need a new shell!) finally powered it all up and took it for a spin. Ive modded it slightly and put some led lights in the front and the rear, these are powered by a independant 9v battery.
I seem to have a problem. After running the car for no longer than 10 minutes it seemed to enter limp mode. It would jolt forward every now and then but the throttle wouldnt work. Once i had turned it off and on again and left it for a while it calmed down and drove normally.
Any ideas? Its done it 3-4 times today.
Its a basic setup that came with the kit, apart from the lights its not customised in any way(yet!!)

Any help appreciated

Many thanks
Old 10-27-2012, 04:38 PM
Tech Adept

You don't say what type of battery your using and it's capacity, but it sounds like its run out of power.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:45 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by markrobinson
You don't say what type of battery your using and it's capacity, but it sounds like its run out of power.
its a ansmann 2000 battery. that was my first thought but i put it on charge, after 10 minutes the charger says its full, therefore to me doesnt seem to be a battery problem?
i am currently trying another charger, the annoying part is if it is the battery its only getting 30 minutes use max before it needs a charge
Old 10-28-2012, 04:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

30 min runtime on a 2000 is pretty good.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:35 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by GasGod
30 min runtime on a 2000 is pretty good.
serious? I have been looking at other batteries actually but wasnt sure what to go for!
Old 10-28-2012, 12:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

yes-a 2000 mah batt is very conservative,I run 4000 mah lipo minimum.But I race mine.30 min is pushing it for me with a 4000 with race gearing(20 tooth).I think I would burn up a silvercan in 30min.