Search

flying with lipo's

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 03:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default flying with lipo's

Hello,
I am considering going to vegas and racing in the IIC race in the fall. I also like to plan ahead.
Anyways, I think I should be able to take my clothes, car, parts, charger, power supply, and tools in 1 checked bag. My question is this: Can I also put my lipo batteries in the checked bag? Or do I need to declare them as some sort of hazardous material? If they are allowed on the plane, can I put them in my carry on? Or are they not allowed on airplanes, no matter what? (if this is the case, then I can should be able to UPS them out there before the race).

thanks,
Old 03-24-2012, 03:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rc_speed
Hello,
I am considering going to vegas and racing in the IIC race in the fall. I also like to plan ahead.
Anyways, I think I should be able to take my clothes, car, parts, charger, power supply, and tools in 1 checked bag. My question is this: Can I also put my lipo batteries in the checked bag? Or do I need to declare them as some sort of hazardous material? If they are allowed on the plane, can I put them in my carry on? Or are they not allowed on airplanes, no matter what? (if this is the case, then I can should be able to UPS them out there before the race).

thanks,
When I have traveled between US and China / HK, Lipo's CAN NOT be put in your checked bag. Need to carry them on your carry on luggage and each battery must be "individually packaged", do not have 2 or 3 bundled together. If you have lipo safe bags, pack each one separate in those.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:52 PM
Tech Addict

Is that FAA rules or do the rules very between differant airlines?
Old 03-24-2012, 04:55 PM
Tech Regular

When I went to the IIC last October, I had my car and lipos packed in the same carry on. The airlines want them to be accessible in case there is an "issue". They can't get to them if the batteries are in the luggage hold. I had no problem going or returning from Vegas.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:15 PM
Tech Addict

ok, that sounds great.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:19 PM
Tech Champion

TSA rules are to bring them as carry on items. You can find more specifics on the TSA website.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:11 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I assume tools can't be carried on? Due to pointy?
I hate checking things that a theft targets, definitely carrying on the car and radio.

What about a basic charger? Do they get funny looks