Tech Elite

Originally Posted by dontfeelcold
CA glue wont stop that.
No, but it can help prevent the problems arrising from the impacts
Old 10-29-2012, 03:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingracer
Not needed. The main advantage of a pushrod suspension is aerodynamic to get the shocks inboard and out of the air on open wheeled cars. This would have no effect on a TC. There are some other interesting things you can do with pushrods but they are mostly benefits for high downforce cars, again no help for a TC. Downside is more unsprung weight and much more complexity.
Couldn't even lower the CoG with that style of suspension?
Old 10-29-2012, 03:43 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Danny-b23
Couldn't even lower the CoG with that style of suspension?
Not with pushrods. You could do it with a pullrod set-up or some other configuration other than a typical pushrod. But you're talking a lot more complex, expensive and more unsprung weight to get a tiny gain in cg. Put aluminum screws in the top deck and you've done the same thing for a lot less.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

All I see are the same chassis designs these days. Nothing innovative these days. It's just a matter of choosing what color anodize you want.

For any significant change, the battery shape must be altered. I'd like to see a modern design using saddle packs. That would be a new breeze for a change.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:48 PM
Tech Elite

I thought about the perfect design many times and independently of any of current and past offerings I notice most people tend to wish for the same things. This is reflected somewhat in current designs and the trends they seem to follow. Right now, I think we're well underway to centralising the weight distribution and achieving perfect symmetry which is desirable for obvious reasons. The last major stumbling block is the motor. I guess whoever is going to crack this one will impose the design template for some time to come.

Perhaps a rethink of the past Losi and Xray designs isn't off the cards. I wouldn't even be surprised or upset if I had to go back to saddle packs. Perhaps best placed across the chassis Durango style. Interesting times.

Other great designs are the ECS which is only one step away from becoming a true CVD as in Xmods/real cars, and the gear diffs which are not far from perfect (I would like to see these coming down in size).

I guess the only real stumbling block is people's budget. Deep pockets can seriously push designs along.

Last edited by niznai; 10-29-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:01 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Danny-b23
Would have figured some discussion would have come up about push rod suspension by now. Anyone know if the benefits outweigh the cons?
I have a TA05v2 with cantilevered front shocks. looking at the configuration, I would say yes the Cog should be a little lower, the shocks are inverted where the shock body is lower than the piston shaft, the shock tower is eliminated, and most hardware, push rods, rockers are located near the top of the gear box cover. the rockers push against the shaft from the top, so no unsprung weight disadvantage. Most say that there is no difference in performance when compared to stand up shocks. All of the pro teams use the stand up configuration. The lower profile will allow a body with a lower front profile. I think it looks cool with the lower profile. The minimal additional weight of the rockers and push rods are mitigated by the loss the shock tower . The weigh difference are so minimal and I would never be able to tell the difference.

I like it because it looks different that most and works really well.

i would like to see a shaft drive chassis similar to the TC4 but updated with carbon chassis alloy motor mount. battery should be on left side to counter the torque of the motor. cantilevered front and rear shock would allow a low profile body. maybe a lemans prototype config. this could be a great stock/ superstock chassis.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by noyz
The Losi type R has center balance holes, (very handy), External diff adjustments (belt and ball diff tension) 5th body mound in the front of top deck, and front and rear suspension blocks that adjust toe and roll center by flipping over. Oh the spur comes off with an e-clip. But in watching cars like xray and tamiya,the Type R does not make the traction, or mechanical grip on low traction surfaces it appears.
Hi,
I think Losi should revamp this design with all the new gear diffs and shocks design and CF Flex technology that have improved over the years could assist with the traction and mechanical grip issue............
Old 10-29-2012, 07:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I had a old tc3 ft back in 2001 and I put a IRS chassis in place of the tub that thing was awesome looking and stif as it could ever get I flipped my shocks over to lower the cg but that bit me in the butt, not knowing how to build a proper shock left the piston operating in the air pocket .... if I only knew then what I know now (even tho I have a lot to learn) I would have been dangerous...lol
Old 10-29-2012, 07:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

It's not the motor that's a limitation. It's the shape of our batteries. These is no reason they have to take up the same space as an old 6 cell sub-c pack. Sooner or later some company will realize this, design a car and make a battery fit that car.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:43 PM
Tech Elite

Nope roar will not let that happen but it needs 2.... my shorty set up is awesome in my T3 I balanced it with only 1 7g weight @ 1290g so I had to add 90g down the center it was difficult but end the end I love the way it drives . I'm told the shorty pack don't give the same punch as standard packs but it helps me drive a lil more consistent just my fast lap might suffer a few tenths ....
Old 10-29-2012, 07:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I think this is a great thread idea btw!

And as i was reading through i was pleased to see the topic of shock positions come up. I very much like the idea of push rods in TCs... there would be many more body choices available!

About inverted shocks, I have done this on my TC5 and noticed that it did help. I came upon this idea to lower CG after looking at my Uncles full sized vintage race cars. Both his Formula and Sports racers had inverted shocks. They were from before push rod suspensions became popular. Guys like Collin Chapman tried to eliminate as much unsprung weight as possible, yet still had the shocks inverted, mounted out in the breeze like TCs. Im talking about this time period (60s-70s) because it is most applicable to TCs regarding shock placement positions. And even back then at the highest levels of motorsport (F1, can-am) shocks were inverted. In Can-Am the shocks were inboard, so I still dont see why it would add too much unsprung weight on TCs?
Old 10-29-2012, 07:48 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AdrianM
It's not the motor that's a limitation. It's the shape of our batteries. These is no reason they have to take up the same space as an old 6 cell sub-c pack. Sooner or later some company will realize this, design a car and make a battery fit that car.
Against current ROAR rules.....FWIW.

EA
Old 10-29-2012, 07:49 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jlfx car audio
Nope roar will not let that happen but it needs 2.... my shorty set up is awesome in my T3 I balanced it with only 1 7g weight @ 1290g so I had to add 90g down the center it was difficult but end the end I love the way it drives . I'm told the shorty pack don't give the same punch as standard packs but it helps me drive a lil more consistent just my fast lap might suffer a few tenths ....
Yep. And technically if you go rear the "Losi 22" ROAR rule your setup would be illegal too as you could not put a normal 2S pack in your car like it sits now withouth removing something and moving stuff around.

EA
Old 10-29-2012, 07:58 PM
Tech Elite

Yeap. This is why I didn't do it till after I talked will bill from Carbondale . He ran at the nats (carpet&outdoor) and they OKed his setup .. I argued him it was iffy. ....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.