Wiki Posts
Search

most dourable USGT leval body

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 08:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default most dourable USGT leval body

I ran vta for 4 yrs and always ran a hpi camaro body I would get one body to just about last all season ... now I have my 11yr son running that car running outdoors he did great . Now we moved tothe carpet and he iis clipping corners tho his lap time error factor is .8 he killed the front of the body.
Anywho .. I've decided to let him run usgt mostly cause he can drive a tc better than a vta car just because of driving style . So I've seen some really cool looking body's for that class (vet/gtr/maclaren/supra) would any of u recomend one body over another for carpet ? I hate shoe goo I would rather make a fit to body front bumper so it don't add any extra weight in front of the tires .
Tks in advance for ur suggestions
Old 10-23-2012, 09:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I guess making your car unattractive is one way to offset the pain of bashing up a new body. A cheap body without sharp lines is probably a good start, though I don't know of any in particular off the top of my head. However, you can make any body dour with the right paint job. One colour jobs are best, something like a brown or a beige is pretty dour.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:40 PM
Tech Champion

If you hate shoo goo then you hate the most popular answer for durability. I like window caulk but its way heavier than shoo goo. Great stuff is lighter and will fill in the gaps, but it sticks to stuff too. You could Saran wrap the roller then mount the shell and squirt a little great stuff in there. It will make a perfect foam filler between the bumper and the shell. Just a thought.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jlfx car audio
I ran vta for 4 yrs and always ran a hpi camaro body I would get one body to just about last all season ... now I have my 11yr son running that car running outdoors he did great . Now we moved tothe carpet and he iis clipping corners tho his lap time error factor is .8 he killed the front of the body.
Anywho .. I've decided to let him run usgt mostly cause he can drive a tc better than a vta car just because of driving style . So I've seen some really cool looking body's for that class (vet/gtr/maclaren/supra) would any of u recomend one body over another for carpet ? I hate shoe goo I would rather make a fit to body front bumper so it don't add any extra weight in front of the tires .
Tks in advance for ur suggestions
Just keep in mind that you have a minimum weight for USGT (1450g). A little reinforcement of the body is not a bad thing, especially if he is hitting corners. I am unsure of any bodies that will fit close to the bumper, but if that is the goal, you can use almost any body and just add foam or craft your own bumper.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:12 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

To go along with Radio Active...my advice would also be, the rounder, the better (Supra,350, Porsche, RX-8).

"Hard" transitions are invitations to potential failure points. But don't let that push you away from a favorite body style. I've seen body prep aid in the destruction of a body as much as poor driving and/or hard hits against walls. Try to make your cuts and edges smooth as possible. Jagged edges in the body will most likely be where tears in the body will begin. When I cut a body, I try to use as long of a scissor "stroke" as possible. If you have a Dremel or other rotary tool, you can also pass over all the cut edges and round out any sharp corners.

Hope that helps you out a bit.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:32 AM
Tech Elite

Yea . I know shoe goo will help but I have never once used it and almost refuse to... I do freehand fire like paint jobs just so that the score lines don't create a weakness . I have a lot of med density foam bricks I cut custom shaped bumpers from to conform to body evenly . So most any front end I can help that way but mostly I was looking for any info on bodies that have bad weak points in the mold process that make the front corners paper thin . I think 1-2 of my camaro body's were oddly thin around one side or the other in the headlight area. Those 2bodys fell apart quickly for me . I have actually thought about using some water garden spray foam in a thin layer around the front its more like the bumper foam and don't shread to crums .
Has anyone tried spraying any plasi-coat inside shell to reinforce it ?
Old 10-24-2012, 08:00 AM
Tech Champion

hey J Ive run alot of USGT/RCGT bodies over the years...and I dont know if it was one better than the next or stronger...but If I had to pick one the HPI Vette was long lasting....

also I got your text, Ill call you around noon
Old 10-24-2012, 08:26 AM
Tech Elite

OK kool and just noticed some body's have parts that have to be attached . So that kills the gtr,pagen gonza.