Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
controller issue >

controller issue

controller issue

Old 11-07-2012, 05:33 PM
Tech Rookie

Default controller issue

i have two 1/10 touring cars that i'm building, both were used when i bought them so ive been doing some upgrading.

one is a sakura zero chassis, that had no motor, esc or controller. i picked up a novak gtx esc and a D5 modified brushed motor, and a spektrum DX2E controller w sr200 receiver

the other is an HPI sprint 2 street it already had the HPI 5700kw brushless motor and esc with it it had hpi's 27mhz am controller, i upgraded that to another spektrum DX2E controller and sr200 receiver.

ironically they are both having the same issue, when i turn the cars and receivers on i can control the steering, the esc's will respond to the throttle but the cars dont drive, the hpi worked fine with the AM setup. both lipo's are charged and balanced, fresh batteries in the remotes.

i know its a long post but any help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by alexrc; 11-08-2012 at 03:58 AM.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Try re-calibrating both ESC's to your new radio.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:07 PM
Tech Rookie

still a noob with all this and learning as i go, how exactly do i do that?
Old 11-07-2012, 06:29 PM
Tech Rookie

ok, double checked the book on the novak club esc, i went thru the calibration steps im getting the solid red light when its in neutral like it said i should and solid green in forward....but still no motor turning, i checked voltage at the motor in puts i'm getting voltage to the motor starting to think i got a bad motor

the hpi esc came with the car and i dont have anything describing the calbration steps
Old 11-07-2012, 07:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by alexrc
i have two 1/10 touring cars that i'm building, both were used when i bought them so ive been doing some upgrading.

one is a sakura zero chassis, that had no motor, esc or controller. i picked up a novak club esc and a D5 modified brushed motor, and a spektrum DX2E controller w sr200 receiver
I know it sounds silly, but isn't the Novak Club a brushless ESC? Just need some clarification.. is the D5 you're using the Trinity 7T double BRUSHED motor? If so, that's your problem right there...
Old 11-08-2012, 03:56 AM
Tech Rookie

sorry its an older gtx spec sheet lists motor limit as "any brushed type r/c motor"
Old 11-08-2012, 10:11 AM
Tech Rookie

pulled apart the d5 motor, it had a burn out on one of the windings, swapped in a different motor and its running like a champ. the hpi is still a paper weight with the dx2e i put the old 27mhz controller back in and it ran like a champ, so im sure its a calibration issue, i dont have any setup guides or anything on the hpi vapor esc, can anyone help me out with the calibration of a vapor esc? thanks for all your help so far
Old 11-08-2012, 10:33 AM
Tech Champion

Try re-binding the receiver to the transmitter. Then re-do the ESC calibration steps.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:32 PM
Tech Addict

http://www.hpiracing.com/graphics/instr/pdf/106159.pdf Page 37