Privateers

Old 03-24-2005, 10:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by dr_hfuhuhurr
Wednesday nights too...don't forget about that.
It can't be the Worlds on Wednesday nights because I'M NOT THERE Blake.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

BIG JOHN DIETER
Old 03-24-2005, 10:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally posted by CypressMidWest
It can't be the Worlds on Wednesday nights because I'M NOT THERE Blake.
You're missing it then baby! Happy hour at the Maxx till 7pm baby!
Old 03-24-2005, 11:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

you missed the point. Anyway, was that a new Putnam?
Originally posted by dmatter
BIG JOHN DIETER
Old 03-24-2005, 11:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by dr_hfuhuhurr
You're missing it then baby! Happy hour at the Maxx till 7pm baby!
Yeah, I'd Be DIALLED-IN by the Mains!!!!
Old 03-24-2005, 11:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

It was Keith Warnicks, I beleive it was during Our State Race we were having Conversations about Reaming/Altering bushings and Keith Said I just Bought this Motor and It appeared That Half the Bushing was Reamed. So, at that Point We all kind of Decided it was Legal??? I Really Don't Know the Rules, I thought in the old Times we were not Allowed to Alter the Bushings in Anyway Whatsoever. But, I have only been back Racing Two Years, Boy have times Changed. When I raced Years ago You could'nt even Open the Cans!
Old 03-24-2005, 11:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Hmm. We have some at the shop. I'll check them out.

It was Keith Warnicks, I beleive it was during Our State Race we were having Conversations about Reaming/Altering bushings and Keith Said I just Bought this Motor and It appeared That Half the Bushing was Reamed. So, at that Point We all kind of Decided it was Legal??? I Really Don't Know the Rules, I thought in the old Times we were not Allowed to Alter the Bushings in Anyway Whatsoever. But, I have only been back Racing Two Years, Boy have times Changed. When I raced Years ago You could'nt even Open the Cans!
Old 03-24-2005, 12:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Privateers

What Is Your Opinions (The Racers) on ROAR Legalizing Brushless Motors and Speed Controls? I Think They are Honestly Trying to Give the Privateers a Chance to Do well Against The Sponsored Guys!!! All we Need Now Are the new Batts 3600 3700 3800 and we Will Be able to Make Run Time and Hang in there With them.
Back to the original topic, if I may...

The move to brushless motors will be a little painful in the short term, but in the long term it will be a good thing. Imagine if there were internet forums in the 1980's... a lot of people would have been talking about how these new 'ESCs' need to be in their own class and not allowed to run with the 'wiper/resistor' cars.

Brushless, just like the first ESC's, bring with them the promise of reliability, efficiency and 'long term' cost savings. If you don't run them together with the brushed cars, then the new technology will never get a chance to catch on, and that's too bad.

Imagine if we still had resistor speed controls. Would anyone argue that we'd be better off today if ESCs never were allowed to compete and, therefore, become popular? But they were DARN expensive at the time, and a HUGE advantage to those that could afford them. Now they are inexpensive and I think everyone would agree that they are good for the hobby. Same goes for NiMH batteries.

I can't understand the people who say they want to spend a lot of time tuning and maintaining their brushed motors. I'm pretty confident that I'll find other aspects of the car to tune once motor tuning is off my plate, and I think the rest of you will too.

If you are more dedicated to 'tuning' in general, you'll still have an advantage over those that don't tune. In fact, you might have MORE of an advantage, because motor tuning now is more like 'busy work' than really a skill... cut the comm correctly, break in the right brushes correctly... etc. Not that much skill there. Where the real skill comes in is in chassis setup, and soon we'll have more time to spend on that. Not to mention the extra time we'll have to practice driving. Once I don't have to mess with my motors anymore, I'll be able to slap in a practice pack during the break between rounds (when I'd normally be hunched over that stupid comm lathe) and actually practice driving. I'm looking forward to it.

Don't fear technology. It's bumpy at first, but this technology will make RC better in the long run.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

VERY..VERY.. Well Said, Walt.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I don't think many people are against brushless. I think what most people were upset about at the Nats was the way they were approved. These systems don't have to abide by the same rules the brushed motors do yet they're running in the same class. They have no tech inspection they have to go through, they do not have a price cap on them like brushed motors, they're allowed to use components that are illegal for the brushed motors (specifically rare earth magnets) and they don't have to be available to the public like brushed motors do. All of these are rules that ROAR has for the modified class and the brushless systems do not have to meet them to run in the same class. That's what people were so pissed about. I personally want brushless to do well. I don't mind working on motors but if they make a brushless system that drives as well as a brushed motor system and had the power, I'd be all for it. I'll have to wait and see what br00d comes up with

And just because brushless is now "legal" in modified, "privateers" that couldn't keep up with the top factory
guys are still not going to be able to keep up with them. Plain and simple.

Last edited by Jon Kerr; 03-24-2005 at 05:10 PM.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

The problem is that if a brushless *did* have the same power as a brushed motor, the brushed guys would scream bloody murder and want them to be in a separate class.

It's really a no-win situation. They're not allowed to run side by side, except in mod that hardly anyone runs.

Most guys will say they don't run them because they're not fast enough...the rest are against them because they're supposed to be too fast...or too hack-able or you'll have ot have a laptop or whatever other reason they have. They make up new reasons EVERY day...and I don't see a day when that's going to change.

Open the door, let them run side-by-side, mod-mod or stock/stock. If they're better...then people will buy them. If they aren't, then they will either need to get faster or they'll go away. I don't see any other way it's going to work.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Open Mod Should be Open Mod.. If you want Rules Race Stock or 19 Turn. One thing is for Sure That everything HAS to be Available to Everyone not just Factory Guys. Everything Should have Set Values and everything should Be for Sale. God forbid our Hobby might Get Cheaper and People without Sponsorships Would at least have Competitive Equipment???
Old 03-24-2005, 04:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

How many people want to be competitive, but show up to the races with only two different sets of tires??

I'm actually writing from the perspective of club racing. B/C be it the really good privateers racing with the pros, or the regular club racers racing with the really good club racers, the guys with the lesser talent always think more $$$ is all they need.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:09 PM
Tech Champion

How many time does it have to be said? The equipment that factory guys get is not what makes them faster! What don't you understand about that? You trade equipment with any factory guy out there and I guarantee you would still not be as fast as them.

And about the rules. Weather you think there should be motor rules for mod or not doesn't matter. The fact is there are rules and they were ignored by the sanctioning body who made the rules.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:23 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Turbo Joe
The problem is that if a brushless *did* have the same power as a brushed motor, the brushed guys would scream bloody murder and want them to be in a separate class.

It's really a no-win situation. They're not allowed to run side by side, except in mod that hardly anyone runs.

Most guys will say they don't run them because they're not fast enough...the rest are against them because they're supposed to be too fast...or too hack-able or you'll have ot have a laptop or whatever other reason they have. They make up new reasons EVERY day...and I don't see a day when that's going to change.

Open the door, let them run side-by-side, mod-mod or stock/stock. If they're better...then people will buy them. If they aren't, then they will either need to get faster or they'll go away. I don't see any other way it's going to work.
I don't have a problem with them running side by side. I agree it's the only way it's really going to catch on. But what I disagree with is loading the brushed motors up with a bunch of rules and NONE for the brushless.

Does anyone ever actually read the full post?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.