Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
JB Foam Inserts and Inch-up Wheels? >

JB Foam Inserts and Inch-up Wheels?

JB Foam Inserts and Inch-up Wheels?

Old 03-24-2005, 06:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default JB Foam Inserts and Inch-up Wheels?

Does anyone know where I can find the JB blue inserts here in the States or over seas?

And has anyone any experience with them? I see them used on almost every UK racers set-up sheets.

Also, who makes the best rubber inch-up wheels?

Thanks! T
Old 03-24-2005, 08:28 AM
Tech Adept

JB Foams are THE inserts for carpet. Super lightweight, and superior grip. Use medium in Sorex tires and thin in CS and RP.
I buy mine from a shop in Norway, but the exchange-rate wouldn't be nice to you americans right now........
Old 03-24-2005, 09:00 AM
Tech Adept

Stormer Hobbies shows most in stock. They however do not have the Sorex Medium inserts (yellow), but seem to have most everything else.

Anyone have the details on what different between all the different ones they make? They seem to make one for just about every popular tire, but I can't find what the differences are. It would be easier if they used shape, thickness and density (soft, hard, med) to describe them.

Mike
Old 03-24-2005, 10:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks, Guys! Erlend, I did hear that all four inserts weigh as much as one HPI insert and that they do improve acceleration, corner speeds ... faster lap times. That's the advantage I want to have. I've been running foams till about a week ago. But the foam class is nearly dead at my track so I'm trying to learn all I can about rubber racing. The hardest thing for me was switching to the one-way, but using pro-dive now, I feel more steady and planted.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:29 PM
Tech Adept

You would want some of theese inserts:
ORI71020 Thin, Blue-Yellow-Blue
ORI71021 Medium, Blue-Yellow-Blue
ORI71030 Thin, Blue
ORI71031 Mediulm, Blue

The Blue-Yellow-Blue inserts, or "Swede" inserts as we call them will give more grip than the ordinary Blue ones. Wich thickness you want depends on how much airgap you want. More airgap = more grip, but bigger chance of tire overheat. Also more tire wear. Less airgap = slightly less grip, less chance of overheating, and better wear. Generally Medium is good for Sorex and Thin for RP, CS and similar low profile tires.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:35 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks Erlend.

I don't think any of those are available in the States. Orion's USA website does not show those part numbers, and I've found no one who carries them. We seem to be stuck with yellow, blue or black for different makes of tires.

Mike
Old 03-24-2005, 01:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

tommy.

i've tried the jb Blue-Yellow-Blue...they work well if you build your own tires.

otherwise i would just run takeoff premounts or RP premounts.

-----------

if you're looking for foam racing head up to rsj...the foam class is still going strong up there.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Wink

Erlend, thanks for the numbers and the gapping guide. I'll try to hunt some down and keep you posted.

Tony, Erick was up at RSJ Tues. for practice and picked up some TakeOff premounts for me. I really wish I could race a RSJ, but Sat. are bad for me. Do you have a kid coming yet? Then you'll know what I mean. I just got together my FK05 and really want to run it in foam class, but it's pretty weak at AJ's. Plus I miss running those TM Tires that Kevin reps.