Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Talk to me about indoor carpet racing!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 12:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Talk to me about indoor carpet racing!

Hello! I'm new to the forum but not new to RC. I've flown planes for years. Nitro and electric. I also used to race RC cars as well, but I don't think I've had an RC car since 2004 or 2005 sometime. I've only raced off road and did all of that when I lived in Oklahoma City. I raced nitro, mostly but I did have an Associated T3 2WD truck. I raced gas truck and monster truck (T-Maxx). Currently, I live in Anchorage, AK. So, that means indoor racing! My son is 14 years old and I figured I should get him into it as well. The indoor season doesn't start for another month here in Anchorage. So, I have some time to get it figured out. I already got my son a car. It's the Team Associated TC4 RTR. I already have chargers and all that stuff. I figured the RTR kit would be good for him to start with. For myself, I'd like something a little better. They race on carpet, indoors here in the winter which lasts about eight months here. HA!

I have always had Team Associated cars and trucks. I might be open to something else, but it's also easiest to get parts for Associated here at the hobby shops as that is what they stock. It can be a real PITA to get things here in Alaska sometimes. I'm trying to decide between the TC4 Club racer or just waiting for the TC6.1 World's Car. There's a $250 price difference as well. Are the advantages of the TC6.1 over the TC4 worth $250? What do you guys think about the motors and ESCs from Hobby King? Anybody ever used any of that stuff? I have about 20 Turnigy motors for my planes and quad copters that have never let me down.

There's no doubt that I'll stick with it. I love RC. Just been out of the car game for a while. I also ordered a Futaba 4PL for myself as well. I'm just trying to figure out why I should get a TC6.1 instead of the TC4. Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 10-10-2012, 01:59 AM
Tech Initiate

Make sure the cars you buy fit into the club racing scene where you live (have you talked to the guys at your local track?). In any case I think you'll definitely find that the TC6.1 is much better than TC4. However, it's subjective whether that's worth $250 (I'd say it is).

A couple of guys at my track have tried the Turnigy TrackStar motors (the silver ones). They are all right and one of the guys running them set the fasted time of the day last weekend but TBH there is a reason why LRPs et. al. cost $90 and these only $30 (build quality etc.).
Old 10-10-2012, 10:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KC10Chief
Hello! I'm new to the forum but not new to RC. I've flown planes for years. Nitro and electric. I also used to race RC cars as well, but I don't think I've had an RC car since 2004 or 2005 sometime. I've only raced off road and did all of that when I lived in Oklahoma City. I raced nitro, mostly but I did have an Associated T3 2WD truck. I raced gas truck and monster truck (T-Maxx). Currently, I live in Anchorage, AK. So, that means indoor racing! My son is 14 years old and I figured I should get him into it as well. The indoor season doesn't start for another month here in Anchorage. So, I have some time to get it figured out. I already got my son a car. It's the Team Associated TC4 RTR. I already have chargers and all that stuff. I figured the RTR kit would be good for him to start with. For myself, I'd like something a little better. They race on carpet, indoors here in the winter which lasts about eight months here. HA!

I have always had Team Associated cars and trucks. I might be open to something else, but it's also easiest to get parts for Associated here at the hobby shops as that is what they stock. It can be a real PITA to get things here in Alaska sometimes. I'm trying to decide between the TC4 Club racer or just waiting for the TC6.1 World's Car. There's a $250 price difference as well. Are the advantages of the TC6.1 over the TC4 worth $250? What do you guys think about the motors and ESCs from Hobby King? Anybody ever used any of that stuff? I have about 20 Turnigy motors for my planes and quad copters that have never let me down.

There's no doubt that I'll stick with it. I love RC. Just been out of the car game for a while. I also ordered a Futaba 4PL for myself as well. I'm just trying to figure out why I should get a TC6.1 instead of the TC4. Thanks for your thoughts!
Figure out the track(s) you will be going to first and what classes they are running. Pick a class, and build a car to that spec. Ideally something that everyone else, or at least the fast guys are driving. No point in a 6.1 if they are running mini and F1. If they are running VTA, your limited on motor and ESC options. All become factors.

As far as a TC4 vs a TC6.1. The 6.1 has more adjustments and with that, has a larger tuning window. What this means is that there is a wider range of settings that will result in a fast car. The TC4 can be quick, but you will have less options in setup to get it there so it can be more of a struggle. If you are running slower classes (VTA, USGT), the TC4 will be fine. If you are running anything boosted, or anything mod, I would presonally avoid the TC4 as the shaft drive is a little more difficult to drive with torque steer and higher power motors. 17.5 blinky (stock touring) is right on the cusp, but if you are going in that deep, I would get the 6.1. You can also probably pick up a TC6 or a 6.1 pre WC for a good price as the WC comes out. Just a thought.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:07 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the info! I've talked to the guys in my area. There isn't a set track here. This year, they are using a church basement and they don't start using it until mid November. Anyways, they are racing 1/10th scale touring cars. Associated and Serpent. The hobby shop I frequent sells parts for Associated. The owner says it is easiest for him to get parts for associated. I've always had Associated cars anyways so, it's a no brainer. I might just wait for the TC6.1 to be available if it's that much better. They are running 17.5T and 13.5T touring car races. I'm going to start with 17.5T
Old 10-10-2012, 12:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

One thing to keep in mind is the TC4 is imperial and most other touring cars are metric. If you upgraded to a newer car you would be buying several new tools as well. Not a huge expense but something to consider.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:15 PM
Tech Regular

Good to know. I should have all of the tools for anything that comes up. Thanks for the advice. I think I'll be getting the TC6.1 for myself. I guess they're not in stock anywhere right now though.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Worlds kit is on the way! Pre order from speedtechhobbies.com.

Last edited by trigger; 10-10-2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:26 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by trigger
Worlds kit is on the way! Pre order from speedtechhobbies.com.
Is that a pretty reliable place? That's cheaper than Tower Hobbies. What's the difference going to be between the regular Factory Team 6.1 and the World's Car 6.1?
Old 10-10-2012, 08:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Is that a pretty reliable place? That's cheaper than Tower Hobbies. What's the difference going to be between the regular Factory Team 6.1 and the World's Car 6.1?
The Worlds car has a differently cut chassis (it's a tad more narrow) and a different way of mounting the inner camber link ballstud mounts directly to the aluminum bulkhead instead of the shock tower.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:59 PM
Tech Regular

Sweet. I just pre-ordered the TC6.1 World's Car. I can't wait to get back into racing! I also ordered a Futaba 4PL. Now, I just need to piece together everything else it needs. Can anybody recommend a good ESC for running a 17.5T motor?
Old 10-10-2012, 09:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

ESCs I would go with LRP, Tekin, viper.
Motors I would go with Reedy, trinity d3.5, thunder power.

Blinky classes, try to run anything with 12.5 mm rotors for more torque. Boosted, 12.3mm will allow for more revs.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Sweet. I just pre-ordered the TC6.1 World's Car. I can't wait to get back into racing! I also ordered a Futaba 4PL. Now, I just need to piece together everything else it needs. Can anybody recommend a good ESC for running a 17.5T motor?
LRP is my personal choice. SXX V2 Stock Spec or TC Spec. Tekin RS/RSPro is comparable but you need a laptop for setup (not an issue for me as my pit neighbor always has one) but something to be aware of. Not familiar with Viper other then they had a lot of issues at the outset, but seem to be better now.

Motor, there are lots of options. The new D3.5's are very strong, Thunder Power has always been a solid brand, and Revtech are known for great motors in Blinky. Reedy and LRP are quick as well.

You will need a decent servo, 2s lipo, and possibly a transponder as well. I prefer KO servos, but many do well with the Savox. You will want to run a power capacitor if you use the Savox though. For batteries, look for 5000+ mah. Everyone has their own theory, but 17.5 blinky cannot draw very high amperage so there is no real need for a really high C battery. 40c+ should be fine, and I actually am running a Revtech 6000mah 28c in my TC that has been working quite well. Gens Ace has some decent batteries for those on a budget.

Avoid the lightweight bodies initially. The Mazdaspeed 6 and the LTC-R are the 2 most consistent bodies for indoor carpet. They may run a spec tire (Jaco Blue and Solaris seem common) but find that out before you invest in anything. If not spec, find out what the guys are running and get the same.

As you are getting 2 cars ready, you might look at investing in a setup station. You can pick up a used integy or even the plastic hudy one for $50-$75. Add a ride height gauge and you can make all of the major adjustments. This is important not only for fine tuning, but also just to make sure things are even and consistent. 2* and 4* camber do not look much different, but will handle night and day different.

Good Luck!
Old 10-11-2012, 05:59 PM
Tech Regular

Excellent info! Thanks! I was reading about the Turnigy Trackstar motors. I've already spent over $1,500 on RC stuff in the last few weeks. I have a couple of quad copters and recently ordered a hexacopter. Now, the RC cars. I bought the RTR TC4, the TC6.1 World's car and a Futaba 4PL. Not to mention all of the other odds and ends. I'm going to give the Turnigy stuff a go for now, and then upgrade later once I learn more about what I really want. I have about 30 different Turnigy motors and ESCs for quad copters and planes. Never had a problem with any of them. I hear the car stuff is just as good. I use the Turnigy Nano-Tech batteries in my planes and quad copters. They are awesome batteries. I can charge them at 5C and they don't even warm up. They charge to at least what they're rated to if not a little more. I stopped by my hobby shop today and picked up a Lexus body to paint up and some wheels and tires.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I would check out the New Trinity D3.5 Magzilla. Its the D3.5 Motor with the 12.5 rotor. Excellent combo.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:57 PM
Tech Regular

One more dumb question. What SIZE of wheels/tires are good for running indoor on carpet? My local hobby shop doesn't seem to have any wheels in stock. My car should be here in a few days. I'd like to have it sitting on some tires. The best I can gather, are 26mm wheels all the way around with no offset. Then, 32 shore on the rear and 40 shore on the front. Where is a good place to order foam wheels online? Any recommendations for some cheap wheels and tires for running in the street? Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.