R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-21-2005, 07:26 PM   #1
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer
Default 19T and Brushless Motor Submissions

19T rules have been out for TWO years (that's 2 George, 2) but nobody, nobody, has submitted a motor to ROAR Many have complained that there ARE no motors approved by ROAR. Hmmm, ROAR's fault? I submit that it's 10% ROAR/90% Manufacturer.

It's a tiny bit ROAR since ROAR has a manufacturer and/or a relative of a manufacturer on their Executive Committee and yet still, nobody's submitted anything. Fred Howart - LONG time ROAR Administrator - is Rick's father; you know, Rick Howart, vocal advocate of following the rules (for which I respect him); you know, Rick Howart of Orion fame; Yet ROAR has had to make provisionals and deviations for 19T since they have not had ANYONE submit ANYTHING. Does Orion make 19T spec type motors? Yep - part nos. #20022 and 20029 19T Element spec motors. Not submitted. . . There is at least one member of the ExCom who works for an RC company and could submit a motor. He presently makes a 19T motor (the featured product this month at his website www.team1rc.com) which is legal for oval but not for TC. . .not too much of a stretch for him to get the parts and submit a 19T TC legal motor. . .even though he's an Oval guy. . .

But it's not ROAR's responsibility to go out and GET products. That would be the cart chasing the horse - it really doesn't make sense. Nascar doesn't chase Ford or Dodge; NHRA doesn't chase Chevy; F1 doesn't chase Ferrari: the manufacturers come to THEM - this is the way things work and it is normal and legit.

So why doesn't Ernie Provetti, Owner of Trinity, submit his Epic 19T F-19 spec Mod (featured on the front page of www.teamtrinity.com) for certification? He says right off that it fits all ROAR rules. . .yet he hasn't submitted it. He feels QUITE free to criticize ROAR, its ExComm, its President, but he can't bring himself to submit motors for certification. Is there something WRONG with certification? I know he had a number of 1/10th 19T drivers in Connecticut (Easton, Hodge, Francis. . .) and they were obviously running Trinity or Epic 19T motors. . .but he just couldn't submit himself to certify them, could he?

Now we get to Brushless - Novak has been making Brushless systems for quite a while. LRP has been saying that they're coming out with one. Neither has submitted anything to ROAR, yet they run them at a National Event. It's quite obvious that people want Brushless - just that nobody really knows where they belong and what to do with them. IFMAR, EFRA, and now ROAR have allowed BL to run with Brushed Mod - why not? Brushed Mod is already wide open, just stick BL in there - AS LONG AS ITS AVAILABLE. So what does Novak and LRP do? They run unavailable BL systems in Conn. They KNOW better (SHAME. . .SHAME. . .you make me embarrased to run your products) but they also know that ROAR will likely make exception for them. Should the responsibility be placed on ROAR to GET submissions from Novak and LRP and Hacker? NO - it's the manufacturer's responsibility. So. . .where's Novak and LRP? Where's their systems for approval, for certification? (Scene of dusty western town with dust blowing around) (Scene with dumb dog, "Which way did he go, George, which way did he go?")

So, now people get pissed AT ROAR when ROAR is put in a position where either they make an exception to allow LRP and Novak to run their prototype BL system, and possibly help the sport to grow (by giving exposure to BL systems), or to disallow them and piss off two of the more influential companies in RC. They're damned if they do, damned if they don't. Me? I woulda said, "Follow the rules or bite me. . ." but then, Scarlet, I really don't give a Damn. I deal with people who have massive egos all the time (read - they have Tenure. . .) so it's nothing new to me.

So, where's the 19T motors?

So, where's the Brushless systems?

ROAR is TRYING to let people run these things - they've made provisional rules for 19T for TWO YEARS; they just made provisional rules for BL. They're STILL WAITING - and so are we. Get your finger out of your nether regions and SUBMIT MOTORS.

(((The reason I pick on Rick and Ernie is that they are the most vocal. I, personally, respect Rick Howart. I've found nothing significant to take that away. I would like to meet him and, perhaps, buy him a beer and talk RC. However, since he's so vocal and since he's aligned so closely with Orion. . .well, why not!)))
RC10L2.5W - RC12.4 - RCNTC3(bmi) - TC4 (modded) - B44.2 - plus rent-a-rides! :D
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 07:33 PM   #2
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Wow Boomer...Nail on the head I'd say.

Of course I thought that Novak lobbied for brushless rules from ROAR and IFMAR back in late 2003. They were shut down by the voting board and gave up for some time, which is why they are celebrating on their main page now that brushless is accepted in ROAR and IFMAR mod events.

"You don't get hurt racing little cars..."

Soviet is offline   Reply With Quote