R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-05-2012, 10:05 PM   #16
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Corners View Post
Don't do that. Move forward and go LiPo.
The Peak 4200 Mah battery is a Lipo The Primal charger is AC only, but it's pretty much fail safe and does a decent job...not bad for $40. But yes, I agree...go with Lipo up front and don't look back.

FourWheels, the others have given you a lot of great advice. It can get pretty overwhelming, but you're doing it right by researching before you buy. One important thing you need to do before spending a dime is spend some more time talking with the local track group and see what requirements there are for the class you choose to run in. For example, you may get a great buy with $30 tires...only to find out later they aren't the correct tire for that class. Same with motors, ESCs, bodies, etc. Great buys aren't so great if you can't use the item you bought

Concerning my distinguishing between carpet and asphalt...to me, asphalt is a bit more forgiving with traction. Therefore, the shaft driven TC4's rotational torque would be just fine. Don't get me wrong, they do great on carpet too...but in this case, I simply prefer belt driven.

Keep asking your questions and I can bet you'll get some good answers!

Good luck...
Cliff Darnell

Ken's Graf/X's

Chris K: "They're challenging and 'different' in a different sorta' way! "
Deja Vu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:07 PM   #17
Tech Adept

My only advice would be not to cheap out on the radio. Get a decent 180-200 dollars price range radio will save you more money in the long run than you can imagine. Try the Futaba 4PL or the Airtronic's equivalent model MT4 I believe.

Half the racers in our club use the 4PL. About 15% of the racers use the extreme high end $500+ radio, which I think it's not necessary for any casual club racer. The rest of the guys all use the low end Spektrum radios, and they are the ones who usually have radio problems.

But if you are on a really really tight budget, get the Futaba 3PL or an Airtronics MX-Sport or MX-V like a poster above mentioned. The low end Spektrum is really not recommended.

regarding batteries, try hobbyking.com for reliable lipo batteries for half the price of the stuff in north america. the Nanotech Lipo line is quite popular among new racers. don't take my words. do an advance search on this forum and you'll mostly find good reviews.

another option would be the GensAce Lipo. they are also very reliable and are ROAR approved. same price range as the Nanotech, but they are hard to come by. out of stock mostly.

I guess what I am trying to say here is that there are some areas where you can go cheap (really cheap sometimes, like batteries). However, some other areas are better off with named brand items. Radio being one of them.
gom is offline   Reply With Quote